PDA

View Full Version : Bump Stops

Audio222
09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
How do you measure or determine bump stops. I need to change mine but not sure where to start.

Mudderoy
09-11-2009, 11:37 PM
How do you measure or determine bump stops. I need to change mine but not sure where to start.

Did you see this? :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1433)

It may not answer your entire question, but I bet it's a good place to start.

muddeprived
09-12-2009, 10:19 AM

You factor 3 things into building bumpstops:

tire-fender contact
springs
shocks

You want your tires to stop uptravel before contacting your fenders.
Some springs cannot be overcompressed and rear leaf springs should not invert too much during uptravel.
Bumpstops have to stop uptravel before the shock compresses fully. Damage to the shock or shock mount can happen if bumpstops are not set/used.

So in a nutshell, go out and flex your rig till the tire is about 1" from the fender. Measure distance between current bumpstop and bumpstop pad/axle tube. Look at your shocks to make sure they are not fully compressed. Check the rear springs to see if they are inverted too much or not. If shocks and springs are good, then that distance between the bumpstop and bumpstop contact spot is how much more bumpstop you need to add. I did this when I had a 4" lift. I had 3" of space between the bumpstop and pad so i put three hockey pucks inside the coil and bolted them down. The write-up Mudd showed u is what I did in the rear. In that rear setup, the shocks and tires stop where I want them to, but the springs are a bit too inverted for my likings so i'm gonna swap out the rubber 2.5" tall bumpstops for the 4.5" tall ones.

Hope that helps and gives you an idea.

Audio222
09-12-2009, 12:50 PM
So in a nutshell, go out and flex your rig till the tire is about 1" from the fender. Measure distance between current bumpstop and bumpstop pad/axle tube. Look at your shocks to make sure they are not fully compressed. Check the rear springs to see if they are inverted too much or not. If shocks and springs are good, then that distance between the bumpstop and bumpstop contact spot is how much more bumpstop you need to add.

Bingo that's what I was looking for. Seems almost to easy, thanks.