PDA

View Full Version : Water proofing? Snorkel sure, but what else?

Mudderoy
09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I've read that the snorkel is but the first, albeit cool looking step. There are other things that must be done prior to driving your rig though 6 feet deep water!

What are they? :popcorn:

4.3LXJ
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Ya gotta think ahead on this one. First is the distributor. Two tricks you can use. One is vent it to the crank case and seal it good and put electrical sealant (forgot the right name) in all the connections, then cover the distributor with a rubber glove and then seal it up. Or you can run air pressure to the distributor and turn it on when fording. Then take all your gear box vents and tun them to the engine air intake system. Then hold your breath

UKJeepThang
09-12-2009, 04:42 PM
As well as the gearbox vent, make sure that your diff vents are high enough too! And whilst you are waterproofing the distributor, don't forget to do the coil as well. Lots of Di-electric grease!! :D

AJ99
09-14-2009, 10:50 PM
also i have heard alternator too... what do you guys think about that?

4.3LXJ
09-15-2009, 09:49 AM
I have run alternators in water before. It is mud that kills them.

warrpath4x4
09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
For the alt I've seen people raise it up to give it more clearance before it would contact water. Also I have a can of electrical component cleaner, after going mudding or driving through lots of water I add it to my post-maintenance.

Spray alt
Spray starter
Re-grease
Change diff fluid
Change gear box fluid
Hose out where mud will collect.

Mudderoy
09-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I removed my front skid when I installed the front bumper. I was thinking about making a skid that goes further back to keep the stuff from getting into the alternator. Water splashing, and mud. Of course if I were to get into 3 or 4 feet of water the alternator would be submerged.

Someone was telling me that the fan would be a problem slicing through the water. It could make contact with the radiator due to the increased drag and higher lift that would occur in the thicker material "water".

Sounds like another good reason to replace it with an electrical fan than can be turned off when in the deep water.

I just read the ECU should be mounted in a water tight box. Thoughts?

AJ99
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM

I would say yes if you are going through water that deep... also your trany computer too. Which is located behind the bottom of the dash on the passenger side.

4.3LXJ
09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I removed my front skid when I installed the front bumper. I was thinking about making a skid that goes further back to keep the stuff from getting into the alternator. Water splashing, and mud. Of course if I were to get into 3 or 4 feet of water the alternator would be submerged.

Someone was telling me that the fan would be a problem slicing through the water. It could make contact with the radiator due to the increased drag and higher lift that would occur in the thicker material "water".

Sounds like another good reason to replace it with an electrical fan than can be turned off when in the deep water.

Generally the mechanical fan is not a problem in itself. The thing that happens is that once the sh**, I mean water hits the fan, it is forced into every nook and cranny in the engine bay and gets forced into the distributer. A god idea by the way is to carry a can of WD40 with you. If you get water into anything, just spray it into the part and the water will be displaced. WD40 by the way stands for Water Displacement formula 40. The thing about electric fans is that yo absolutely have to remember to turn them off. If you try to run them under water they will fry.

Mudderoy
09-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Generally the mechanical fan is not a problem in itself. The thing that happens is that once the sh**, I mean water hits the fan, it is forced into every nook and cranny in the engine bay and gets forced into the distributer. A god idea by the way is to carry a can of WD40 with you. If you get water into anything, just spray it into the part and the water will be displaced. WD40 by the way stands for Water Displacement formula 40. The thing about electric fans is that yo absolutely have to remember to turn them off. If you try to run them under water they will fry.

Actually I was thinking of a sensor that would detect if you were in water and have it shut the fans off. ;)

4.3LXJ
09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Thaht would be cool, got any ideas?

Mudderoy
09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Thaht would be cool, got any ideas?

Well they make wind sheild wipers that come on automagically, so there must be a device. I just gotta search for it.

:cool0016:

4.3LXJ
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Well they make wind sheild wipers that come on automagically, so there must be a device. I just gotta search for it.

:cool0016:

It would have to know the difference between rain and real water. Otherwise your fans would not operate in the rain.

Mudderoy
09-15-2009, 11:22 PM
It would have to know the difference between rain and real water. Otherwise your fans would not operate in the rain.

lol, well if it was under the hood, duh... it would have to be a similar but different type of sensor of course.

AJ99
09-15-2009, 11:28 PM
or do a toggle lol that is what i would do... its simple almost guaranteed not to fail unless its the drivers error

4.3LXJ
09-15-2009, 11:31 PM
That was the point. Driver error. If you submerge an electric fan, it will try to run at the same speed it would in air and draw too much amperage and fry itself. All that takes is forgetting to hit the switch.

muddeprived
09-16-2009, 10:35 AM
The front skid is a nice to have when fording water because it keeps the water away from the fan. The fan is what causes your motor to get covered in water/mud. I used the front skid last month at Eau Claire and my engine bay was the only clean one there afterwards. My gf's bro in law followed me everywhere (3" lifted xj) and every inch of his motor had mud on it.

Sometimes when you get stuck in water the motor fan blades can be bent from impacting the water. Ask me how I know. An electric fan is a good upgrade for people who do deep stuff. MY buddy had one in his YJ......until he forgot to turn it off and it exploded upon being submerged. That wasn't fun.

I used to get my distributor wet all the time. I found that sealing the bottom of it with heavy grease or rtv and plugging the hole on top keeps it dry.

If you have a snorkel, drill a 1" hole somewhere in it. Extend all the breather's on the jeep into one 1/2" hose and route it through the hole in the snorkel and up to the highest point. Seal off hole with rubber grommet or silicone.

All the electrical connections and grounds should be covered in di-electric grease. Keeps the water off.

Last and not least, DRAIN PLUGS. If you plan to forde water or mud, put drain plugs on the floor (4). It may never get wet inside but when it does happen you will be grateful for putting in plugs.

YellowSub2000
10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
lol, well if it was under the hood, duh... it would have to be a similar but different type of sensor of course.

There is a device the company's like Stanley Steamer and such use when they need to dry carpet. In order to dry the carpet they need to find where the wetness is and isn't. They stab this device into the carpet and it tells them if there is water. This works by water completing the electrical circuit. I'm sure this tech can be engineered to work as a water detection device.

Just a thought.

Then there is always the simple manual kill switch, which is what I will be using. Make sure to install a light when the fans are manually off, so you remember to turn them back on.

Mudderoy
10-05-2009, 09:49 PM
There is a device the company's like Stanley Steamer and such use when they need to dry carpet. In order to dry the carpet they need to find where the wetness is and isn't. They stab this device into the carpet and it tells them if there is water. This works by water completing the electrical circuit. I'm sure this tech can be engineered to work as a water detection device.

Just a thought.

Then there is always the simple manual kill switch, which is what I will be using. Make sure to install a light when the fans are manually off, so you remember to turn them back on.

I like the idea of a automated system, and it would be nice to have a manual backup (or override). I like the light idea, that would be good to have on for the automated system as well.

YellowSub2000
10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I am planning to have the light turn on anytime the fans turn on, via manual over ride or automatically.

cantab27
10-07-2009, 01:28 AM
hi muddeory, hope u don't mind if i ask a question on your thread.. we play in water here all the time... whats a cheap way to water proof my head lights , as in they have mist on the inside of the lens and like a bit of rust like stuff growing in there ......:thumbsup: do love playing in the water but........... http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/untitled.jpg