PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Dash Lights and Using Blue LEDs

Infidel Edition
04-15-2013, 04:13 PM
So the other day, I finally got my headlights working again so I could drive at night. The wiring on the top of the switch had melted... but that's another story.
After I changed out the switch, I discovered that the lighting behind the instruments was WEAK to say the least.

** That’s not a bad camera shot… It’s really that bad at night!

Based on the condition of the headlight switch, I wasn't sure of the condition of the circuit board. So I started by planning on what I might need and how much that was going to cost me… but fortunately, these plastic sheets are reasonably durable considering their purpose. **see pic below**

Here’s a pic of the dash. There’s 4 screws (least in mine) to remove the outer bezel and then 5 to pull out the instrument cluster assembly.

There’s 2 plugs (again, on mine) in the back. The clips at the top and bottom press easily to pop the plug out. I used a flathead screw driver. Note, there isn’t a lot of room to play with.

The other plug is behind the far left section of lights (ie. Part Time / Seat Belt…)
Here’s the plug hanging out waiting for me to get back to it…

There are a few screws holding the gauges to the assembly as well as a few that act as connectors to the circuit board. As long as you are careful and pay attention they’re easy to remove. *obviously, you will want to put them back in the correct location when you’re done. And it's pretty clear how it goes... but you might want to be organized when you lay it out to ensure it makes sense when you put it back.

Here’s a pic of the circuit board. Just a sheet of plastic with copper circuit print on it.

I used a little 300 grit sandpaper to clean off the green crap on the connectors. Note the green nasty that is on the middle one.

There are 9 that light the instruments and 3 that are used for the turn-signals and brights. Here’s a pic after I cleaned up and installed the board and replaced the 3 that will remain OEM...
** Also, I applied some dielectric grease to the connections so that they shouldn't corrode as fast next time (since I sanded away what little plastic coating was there...

I also had my doubts that poor connections were the only problem as the OEM bulbs are positioned 2" - 3" behind the gauges! As if shining a flashlight around a corner? So I added some "silver duct tape" I picked up at Home Depot to add a little reflective action along the outer edges and on the back of the face plate.

The rest of them are pending receipt from my LED order on e-bay.
** XJ Wheeler found the correct LED’s to replace the OEM and gave me this link:
“I would suggest something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-T10-194...49a527&vxp=mtr” They run $10 for 10 blue (other colors available).
...BTW~ Thanks for the link to XJ Wheeler for looking out for me before I bought bulbs that may have not worked...

…I’ll post a part 2 to this thread once I get them in / and take a pic in the dark.

XJ Wheeler
04-15-2013, 05:59 PM
No problem, bud. I just know how much it sucks to get the wrong part, especially when you're ready to put it back together and have to wait for the RIGHT part. ;)

Infidel Edition
04-15-2013, 10:42 PM
This is the 'after' on just the cleaning of the connectors
...I'll post another once the blue LEDs get here next weekend

Same distance and lighting.
...I can see all of the gauges even though there is a dark spot.

nickxj94
04-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Looks good I done this a few months ago I used some white led's I got from ebay it really lit my dash up I'm happy I can see my gauges at night!

TimmyTXJ
04-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Looking good man! Can't wait to see the final result!

Infidel Edition
04-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Not quite what I was hoping for...

I think I have a blank spot.
Also must have shorted the temp gauge ~ it is over the top?

Anyway I'm gonna add some more silver tape and try again

XJ Wheeler
04-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Since with LEDs it matter which way you put them in you need to make sure they are all positioned correctly. Some may not be and not illuminating.

Infidel Edition
04-20-2013, 08:24 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking.
And since I did something g to my temp gauge... I have to pull it all out again.
I was thinking I'd pull all the gauges, plug it in and see what lights up.
And add more silver duct tape to a few spots

Infidel Edition
04-21-2013, 01:09 AM
So I pulled the cluster again and sanded the 'nobs' that attach the bulbs.

Then reinstalled it...

Damn cool looking now

XJ Wheeler
04-21-2013, 04:29 AM
Man, you got it going now. That's looks awesome! Fine work, sir.

Brasscatz
04-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Very nice! All that hard work was definitely worth it!!

TimmyTXJ
04-22-2013, 06:04 AM
Brilliant!!

Infidel Edition
04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Driving in to work this morning, the blue lights are bright... but the blue isn't as ~ not sure the word ~ it's softer than bright white. Less distracting on late nights.

And since I usually am driving home late at night (5 hour drive) after drill weekends... I can do so comfortably now.

4.3LXJ
04-22-2013, 10:04 AM
That is what counts

Mudderoy
04-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Driving in to work this morning, the blue lights are bright... but the blue isn't as ~ not sure the word ~ it's softer than bright white. Less distracting on late nights.

And since I usually am driving home late at night (5 hour drive) after drill weekends... I can do so comfortably now.

Do they dim with the rotation of the headlight switch?

Infidel Edition
04-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Do they dim with the rotation of the headlight switch?

No luck there.
I still have to rewire most of the dash as the PO was a &(*^)( when he wired the stereo.
When I turn on the blinkers (which still don't work), the stereo shuts off.
... sometimes when I hit a bump... the stereo shuts off.

I followed all the lines I could see and fixed what looked bad. Still have a short somewhere:bang:

But, like I said, the blue is easy on the eyes in the dark.