PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with you computer ?

96xj
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
i was just wondering what you guys with snorkels do with your computer i know mine is by the intake hole do you relocate it or what ???

BlueXJ
09-08-2009, 11:46 PM
If you are speaking about the ECU then I never thought about relocating it. But I seldom do deep water crossings.

Mudderoy
09-09-2009, 03:04 AM
I've read that a snorkle is only step 1 in a series of things you have to do to water proof the equipment to run your Jeep in several FEET of water.

I haven't looked it up yet, but I'd love to know all the steps. Remember the main reason for my build was hurricane escape vehicle.

96xj
09-09-2009, 06:55 AM
so what are the other steps im in the same boat as mudderoy i live in florida and were do for a hurricane , and this is gonna be my :smiley-scared002:escape vehicle:driving::thumbsup:

jugbutt
09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't a U-HAUL be the best escape rig? :smiley-laughing021:

Just joking that is a good thought though! (the computer)

AJ99
09-14-2009, 10:38 PM
disributer, ecu, alternator, intake, vent hoses for your axles, t case tranny if you have a manual, thata all i can think of right now

96xj
09-15-2009, 07:00 AM
my ? is what to do with the ECU unit ???

Mudderoy
09-15-2009, 10:29 AM
The ECU should be mounted up high, above the water line, or installed in a waterproof box.

Reference: :link: (http://books.google.com/books?id=X95PU39mzSMC&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=jeep+water+proof+ecu&source=bl&ots=CFR1_eQrWA&sig=muIazxATK_SnVcqMDg8K8KrP0vE&hl=en&ei=4LGvSoc0goK2B4aYjPMH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

muddeprived
09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
The ECU should be mounted up high, above the water line, or installed in a waterproof box.

Reference: :link: (http://books.google.com/books?id=X95PU39mzSMC&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=jeep+water+proof+ecu&source=bl&ots=CFR1_eQrWA&sig=muIazxATK_SnVcqMDg8K8KrP0vE&hl=en&ei=4LGvSoc0goK2B4aYjPMH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

Good link Mudd.

The ECU is on that aluminum type backing plate with three plugs or so hooked onto it right?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6336.jpg

That part was in the way of my snorkel so i disconnected it and moved it over a little and just left it there. You can see it to the right of my windshield washer fluid cap. Is that the ECU?

Mudderoy
09-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Yep, that's it. I was wondering why yours was way back there!

muddeprived
09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Ok now I know what it is. I'm gonna waterproof that. somehow....

NickM
09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Renix's have it up under the dash-a little better location IMO.

Nick (Renix owner)

Primo
09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I say build or find a nice water proof box make the hole for the wires and then use epoxy to seal around the wires to make that water proof. Then make the lid serviceable like a diff cover and use some rtv or the right stuff on it too seal the lid. maybe like 6 or 8 bolts holding it down and a nice flat surface for sealing purposes.
I have a really good sheet metal guy I should draw one up and have him make a proto type with some aluminum or stainless!

Mudderoy
09-17-2009, 07:29 PM
I say build or find a nice water proof box make the hole for the wires and then use epoxy to seal around the wires to make that water proof. Then make the lid serviceable like a diff cover and use some rtv or the right stuff on it too seal the lid. maybe like 6 or 8 bolts holding it down and a nice flat surface for sealing purposes.
I have a really good sheet metal guy I should draw one up and have him make a proto type with some aluminum or stainless!

I like your thought process, however I would stick with plastic. Besides it would be nice to see if there is water in there, instead of having to remove the 6 or 8 bolts to find out.

Primo
09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I like your thought process, however I would stick with plastic. Besides it would be nice to see if there is water in there, instead of having to remove the 6 or 8 bolts to find out.

Good idea mudderoy I'll put a plexi glass window in it, but I am talking about pure unadulterated leak PROOF so it should be good!!
I work with wether proof digital locks they make these with aluminum covers and touch sensors taged to the aluminum they then epoxy pot all the electric componants into the aluminum cover. Thats why I say aluminum, no chance of leakage if it ends up like Im thinking.:D

BlueXJ
09-18-2009, 07:21 AM
My older Renix stuff has mine mounted under the dash near the center hump. I thought that external cast aluminum box was the brain for the ABS. Glad you guys straightened me out. I would have to relearn alot of stuff with a newer XJ.

If you put it in a box then would you not have heat problems with no air circulation?:eek::(

Mudderoy
09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
My older Renix stuff has mine mounted under the dash near the center hump. I thought that external cast aluminum box was the brain for the ABS. Glad you guys straightened me out. I would have to relearn alot of stuff with a newer XJ.

If you put it in a box then would you not have heat problems with no air circulation?:eek::(

I guess it could but considering it gets to be over 150 degrees under the hood during the summer time, the box might actually keep it cooler. Besides running a vent line to the snorkle would probally take care of that.

Primo
09-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I guess it could but considering it gets to be over 150 degrees under the hood during the summer time, the box might actually keep it cooler. Besides running a vent line to the snorkle would probally take care of that.

I thought of that just after my last post, That would make it perfect. Just run a breather up into your snorkle or even into the cab.
The funny thing is there is no way in hell I'll ever be anywhere near a huricane I guess I just dream of driving thru 4 + feet of water for fun.

Mudderoy
09-18-2009, 11:32 PM
I thought of that just after my last post, That would make it perfect. Just run a breather up into your snorkle or even into the cab.
The funny thing is there is no way in hell I'll ever be anywhere near a huricane I guess I just dream of driving thru 4 + feet of water for fun.

The best way to experience the fun and excitement of a hurricane is in the movies. Hurricane's are boring in reality. Now some of the thunderstorms we get through here are very interesting. :driving:

Primo
09-19-2009, 10:16 AM
The best way to experience the fun and excitement of a hurricane is in the movies. Hurricane's are boring in reality. Now some of the thunderstorms we get through here are very interesting. :driving:

Yeah? we get some good ones here too. Im not sure where katty tx is but I dated this girl from fredricksburg tx. once I met her here in ut, flew out to tx. to take her to her prom it was awsome I really love texas it is a very pretty place. my wife has some friends that live there too so it is on our vacation places list, hope I never get to be in a huricane tho!
When I was there the river flooded and that was crazy we drove her subburban threw like 2 feet of water that was coming over the bridg. it was dope!!!!

Mudderoy
09-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah? we get some good ones here too. Im not sure where katty tx is but I dated this girl from fredricksburg tx. once I met her here in ut, flew out to tx. to take her to her prom it was awsome I really love texas it is a very pretty place. my wife has some friends that live there too so it is on our vacation places list, hope I never get to be in a huricane tho!
When I was there the river flooded and that was crazy we drove her subburban threw like 2 feet of water that was coming over the bridg. it was dope!!!!

Katy is 20 miles West of Houston. The other side of the main street coming to my house is a Houston address. :confused:

Primo
09-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I was probly pretty close to you at one time, that is if you lived there 10 years ago.

Mudderoy
09-19-2009, 10:55 AM
I was probly pretty close to you at one time, that is if you lived there 10 years ago.

Yep we had the house built and moved in 1997. :thumbsup:

BlueXJ
09-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Are you a lifelong resident of Houston area Muddy? I am a Tx transplant from the East Coast. But been here since 1980. Daughter says she never remembers living elsewhere. She was 4 when we moved to Tx.

96xj
09-19-2009, 05:32 PM
:offtopic:

ol"blue
09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
What about condensation inside that sealed box? Could that cause damage? Would that vent prevent it? Just curious.:confused:

96xj
09-19-2009, 06:34 PM
while i got my computer out I'm making a plexi glass box sealed of course ill have pics just as soon as I'm done , should look good !

also is thiese the same thing ?? ECM /PCM /ECU:confused:

Primo
09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
:offtopic:

Sorry 96

What about condensation inside that sealed box? Could that cause damage? Would that vent prevent it? Just curious.:confused:

I was thinking about that as well, put a 1 way check valve in the lowest spot, I think were on to some cool stuff here guys!!!

Mudderoy
09-20-2009, 03:44 AM
Are you a lifelong resident of Houston area Muddy? I am a Tx transplant from the East Coast. But been here since 1980. Daughter says she never remembers living elsewhere. She was 4 when we moved to Tx.

Yes. My parents lived in Baytown, I was born in Houston, raised in Baytown (20 miles East of Houston). Moved to Houston in about 1990 to be closer to work, then moved out of Houston in 1997.