PDA

View Full Version : **Help engine dies**

rm2406
03-28-2013, 03:20 PM
hello all, again...
for the first time today my engine died on me at a stop light, i was already completely stopped at the light for about 1 minute when then engine just cut off.. no sputtering or anything. just turned off as if you would turn off with the key.. no check engine light or stored codes.. spark plugs,wires,distributor & rotor,fuel filter,air filter are all new already..
any ideas??? will be greatly appreciated.. oh its 95 cherokee 4.0 HO I6 63,000miles. ive checked the internet but cant really find anything simular to my problem.

cantab27
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
did she start right up again

4.3LXJ
03-28-2013, 04:00 PM
I kind of need more description to figure something out. Since it started up again with no CEL, try getting it scanned for stored codes

rm2406
03-28-2013, 04:15 PM
shes fired right up as if nothing happened... i did the key trick for codes and got 12 and 55 only... finished my drive and didnt happen anymore.. this is also the first time it happened.. idles smooth no bucking or jerking.. im puzzled??

prerunner1982
03-28-2013, 04:26 PM
From what I read.... code 12 means battery recently disconnected and code 55 means end of codes.

rm2406
03-28-2013, 04:29 PM
those were the only codes that was stored...

xj4life2
03-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Only two reasons I can think of for that :
1. crank pos sensor
2. fuel pump heating up and shutting down
Niether of the above will leave a code in the 95. Check the connection for the CPS, be sure its plugged in tight and the clip is holding , you can zip tie it together to be sure or solder it and lose the connector completely.

rm2406
03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
i will give the cps a check...
also what would cause a fuel pump to overheat then work almost instantly again??

i read somewhere that it could also be the IAC going bad??? any thoughts..

any thoughts anyone???
it just happened again, this time it happened while coming to a stop..engine died. no CEL. no codes.. started right up again with no problem.. anymore thoughts?? im trying to get this figured out before it leaves me stranded somewhere.

prerunner1982
03-30-2013, 08:58 AM
If you think it might be the IAC, it certainly wouldn't hurt to clean it and see if that helps any.

rm2406
03-30-2013, 09:16 AM
im gonna give it a good cleaning today, just wanted to see what people thought about it being a suspect.. i cleaned it not to long ago.maybe its going bad??

4.3LXJ
03-30-2013, 09:59 AM
That is a possibility. It does happen

rm2406
03-30-2013, 10:29 AM
so my suspects are:
IAC
TPS
COIL
fuel pressure regulkator
sound like things to look into for this problem???

prerunner1982
03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
I think the first two sound suspect. My only experience with the coil was when mine quit....it quit, no off and on stuff. I would think fuel pressure regulator would sputter more if it was failing, no just cut out like someone flipped a switch and start right back up.

rm2406
03-31-2013, 01:44 AM
I think the first two sound suspect. My only experience with the coil was when mine quit....it quit, no off and on stuff. I would think fuel pressure regulator would sputter more if it was failing, no just cut out like someone flipped a switch and start right back up.

how can i test these on my 95xj:
IAC
TPS
CPS

prerunner1982
03-31-2013, 07:54 AM
I am sure it requires a multi-meter and a resistance or voltage reading of some sort......but I have never had to test those so don't know that info right off.

oderdene
03-31-2013, 09:11 AM
this may help,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/how-test-tps-610386/#post5747016

4.3LXJ
03-31-2013, 11:22 AM
To test the Crank position sensor or cam position sensor, you need a straight pin to insert into the plug. Check for 5V through the plug, then insert in the other side and crank the engine. The meter reading should fluctuate from 0V to 5V. However since the voltage is intermittent you will only be able to guess because it will be changing back and forth and not read either. It takes a scope to truly check it

rm2406
04-05-2013, 04:05 PM
ok, this is happening more and more frequent now.. i happened twice in 5mins of driving.. also its taking longer cranks to get me goin.. i know the day it leaves me on the curb is comin so im tryin to solve this before then.. ok so i did the key trick a bit ago and got codes:
i was only getting 12&35 now 11 popped up today.

nickyg
04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
ok, this is happening more and more frequent now.. i happened twice in 5mins of driving.. also its taking longer cranks to get me goin.. i know the day it leaves me on the curb is comin so im tryin to solve this before then.. ok so i did the key trick a bit ago and got codes:
i was only getting 12&35 now 11 popped up today.

I'm no expert, Someone correct me If I'm wrong. but the articale I read states:
11 No crank reference signal detected during cranking.
35 Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted
I have no idea what can cause em that you haven't already checked. I'm stumped.

XJ Wheeler
04-06-2013, 12:10 AM
This is copied from the article i go off of.

No crank signal to computer.
Fault in wiring between crankshaft position sensor (CPS) and ECM ( PCM or computer ) or faulty CPS.

Cooling fan relay
Check relay and circuit

By that i presume its the cps.

rm2406
04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
i will try replacing it and report back....

rm2406
04-09-2013, 10:30 AM
ok. im waiting til this friday pay to get the CPS.. odd thing this morning happened on my way to work.
while driving, the jeep shutdown again with no warning, no dash lights on at all.so i put it in neutral to coast off to the side of the road and when i put it in neutral the RPMS went back up and the motor started running again.. it didnt crank or anything just went on as if was already on.. weird!! so it happened one more time before i got to work and i tried to do the neatral thing again but it didnt work so i pulled over and put it in park, fired right up with no hesitation.. the codes were already deleted and this time left no code except 12 and 55... so before i dish out the $ for cps does this actually sound like the culprit???

rm2406
04-09-2013, 08:07 PM
anyone????

XjJeepacorn
04-10-2013, 10:10 AM
I didn't read everything but have you checked your tps, cleaned the throttle body and iac?

XjJeepacorn
04-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Check plugs wires rotor distributor cap

msmoorenburg
04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
ok. im waiting til this friday pay to get the CPS.. odd thing this morning happened on my way to work.
while driving, the jeep shutdown again with no warning, no dash lights on at all.so i put it in neutral to coast off to the side of the road and when i put it in neutral the RPMS went back up and the motor started running again.. it didnt crank or anything just went on as if was already on.. weird!! so it happened one more time before i got to work and i tried to do the neatral thing again but it didnt work so i pulled over and put it in park, fired right up with no hesitation.. the codes were already deleted and this time left no code except 12 and 55... so before i dish out the $ for cps does this actually sound like the culprit???

When the jeep is in a no start situation do a dash light check and see if the "check engine" light comes on. But with code 11 i would put a cps in it

code 12 means battery/reset condition happened in the last 50 start cycles
code 55 will always show up it means (end of codes)

rm2406
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
when engine dies NO dash lights, NO cel light, stereo system stays playing with no interuption. since ive resetted the codes i still stall and it doesnt display cps code anymore.. just 12 & 55...
cleaned IAC and tps gives no problems in shifting at all. also everyday it ALAWAYS starts up quick.. never have to crank,crank.. fires up perfect everytime everyday..
just stalls once or twice a day weather im stopped or steadily driving down the road..
plugs,wires,cap & rotor and fuel filter are all new.. im stumped???

4.3LXJ
04-10-2013, 12:05 PM
That is typical symptoms of the CPS

XjJeepacorn
04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Thought he said he did it all ready lol

4.3LXJ
04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Thought he said he did it all ready lol

Said he was waiting for money. Just like the rest of us :D

msmoorenburg
04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
when engine dies NO dash lights, NO cel light, stereo system stays playing with no interuption. since ive resetted the codes i still stall and it doesnt display cps code anymore.. just 12 & 55...
cleaned IAC and tps gives no problems in shifting at all. also everyday it ALAWAYS starts up quick.. never have to crank,crank.. fires up perfect everytime everyday..
just stalls once or twice a day weather im stopped or steadily driving down the road..
plugs,wires,cap & rotor and fuel filter are all new.. im stumped???

When I had the same issue with my 91 (no check engine light) it was a bad ecu. It ran great then cold turkey dead. Wait a few mins it would fire up. The tail tail sign for me was no light check when the key is turned on(the engine light will come on for a few seconds), oh and no fuel pump priming. This would also show only codes 12,55 repeatedly

rm2406
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
i get my check engine light on when i first start the jeep..i always can hear the fuel pump prime before start up..
last night i disconnected the battery and reset the codes, and on my way to work happened again... so i check the codes and got 12,11,55. so it must be CPS. when it dies while moving still on the road i can put it in neutral turn the key and this is the ONLY time it will crank and crank for a bit then start running again.. other than that it fires up perfect every time.. also sometimes driving it cuts out for like 1 split second and comes back on while in gear so i bearly notice it if im looking at the RPM's. sort of like a quick hic up.. well it seems like CPS is the most obvious culprit seeing that code 11 popped up again. this weekend i will replace and report back. sorry if this thread seemed to drag on about thee obvious i just wanted to list all the symptoms to my issue for those that have never had a CPS problem.. thanks all!

rm2406
04-12-2013, 10:13 AM
i used a meter to test resistance on CPS and it showed 832 then tested camshaft sensor and it showed 816 resistance.. does this sound ok? or what should a good sensor resistance show??

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 10:53 AM
i get my check engine light on when i first start the jeep..i always can hear the fuel pump prime before start up..
last night i disconnected the battery and reset the codes, and on my way to work happened again... so i check the codes and got 12,11,55. so it must be CPS. when it dies while moving still on the road i can put it in neutral turn the key and this is the ONLY time it will crank and crank for a bit then start running again.. other than that it fires up perfect every time.. also sometimes driving it cuts out for like 1 split second and comes back on while in gear so i bearly notice it if im looking at the RPM's. sort of like a quick hic up.. well it seems like CPS is the most obvious culprit seeing that code 11 popped up again. this weekend i will replace and report back. sorry if this thread seemed to drag on about thee obvious i just wanted to list all the symptoms to my issue for those that have never had a CPS problem.. thanks all!

CPS or the wiring is a very common issue on the XJ's. I have read many reports of people buying Cherokees from people's yard that sat for a year, no start. $500 and installation of a CPS in the yard, they crank it and drive it home. lol I always love those stories.

xj4life2
04-12-2013, 11:13 AM
CPS or the wiring is a very common issue on the XJ's. I have read many reports of people buying Cherokees from people's yard that sat for a year, no start. $500 and installation of a CPS in the yard, they crank it and drive it home. lol I always love those stories.

I see it everyday and recommend to everyone who owns an XJ to carry a spare. I ran mine over a year with a bad one by simply unplugging it and re plugging it back in and it would start every time. When I did replace it I soldered it back together at the plug and NEVER had another issue with it. The issue is the voltage is so low on them that the plug actually loses part of it and they fail. I have tested them and they test good but still no start . Replace it and all is well. my new slogan is "when in doubt , pull the CPS out " Hope it all works out for ya !!

rm2406
04-12-2013, 03:05 PM
i used a meter to test resistance on CPS and it showed 832 then tested camshaft sensor and it showed 816 resistance.. does this sound ok? or what should a good sensor resistance show??

4.3LXJ
04-12-2013, 03:59 PM
It is not resistance that you want to check. You need to crank the engine and test the voltage they put out, which goes from 0 to 5 and back.

rm2406
04-12-2013, 05:43 PM
It is not resistance that you want to check. You need to crank the engine and test the voltage they put out, which goes from 0 to 5 and back.

ok. so how do i test the voltage??

4.3LXJ
04-12-2013, 06:56 PM
You have to leave it plugged in and use a pin and insert it into the plug from the back side. One is power and the other is to the CPU. When you crank you will see the voltage on the meter change, going up and down. You won't get a true reading since you don't have a scope, but you can see if it is working or not

nickxj94
04-12-2013, 09:53 PM

That's how I got mine! :D

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 10:57 PM
I see it everyday and recommend to everyone who owns an XJ to carry a spare. I ran mine over a year with a bad one by simply unplugging it and re plugging it back in and it would start every time. When I did replace it I soldered it back together at the plug and NEVER had another issue with it. The issue is the voltage is so low on them that the plug actually loses part of it and they fail. I have tested them and they test good but still no start . Replace it and all is well. my new slogan is "when in doubt , pull the CPS out " Hope it all works out for ya !!

Oh this is great info, thanks!

rm2406
04-14-2013, 03:28 PM
ok, changed out CPS last night and so far NO stalling.. it was stalling 2-3 times through out a day before... so i will continue monitoring this week and update post later.. thanks for the help ALL!!

Mudderoy
04-16-2013, 11:53 AM
ok, changed out CPS last night and so far NO stalling.. it was stalling 2-3 times through out a day before... so i will continue monitoring this week and update post later.. thanks for the help ALL!!

I bet you got it.

rm2406
04-16-2013, 12:57 PM
I bet you got it.

problem solved! CPS as always number one suspect for most stalling issues..
just a little tip, took me bout 15mins to replace. and for those with a front drive shaft if you shift the lever all the way to 1-2 gear there is room to fit your hand underneath and attach the cps and hand tighten bolts.. my hands arent to small either... but shifting the gear back helped out very much.. thanks again everyone!

92warwagon
07-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Anyone in weed California I'm at the rest stop heading south and i think my starter went out any help near by maybe arise to a auto store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
07-22-2013, 09:06 PM
I may be closest to you, but I am 150 miles away.

Floridajeepcherokee
10-25-2013, 11:12 PM
check loose ground wire(s)??

This JGC is driving me crazy. Check engine light came back on today. it had been back firing and stalling out sometimes it wouldn't immediately start back up. I seemed to have a dead battery and it's brand new so I hooked jumper cable up from battery negative post only to engine or frame and it started without jumping it. Therefore I figured out it was loosing ground. It hasn't stalled since I tightened up the ground cable. But the check engine light came on the next day (today) The 2 codes indicated o2 sensor and thermostat (not heating up to proper temp quickly. One of the codes also mentioned defective cat converter but I had already replaced muffler and cat converter months ago.

My passenger floorboard was soaked with water and I bypassed heater core as soon as I bought it so I ruled out heater core. I also drilled out for the a/c vent and blew compressed air as mentioned in other threads. I will be trying to locate water leak or soaked carpet issue in the next few days.

4.3LXJ
10-25-2013, 11:31 PM
The cat code was likely generated by your O2 sensor behind the cat not reading properly. No one ever changes that one. If the temp sensor is not indicating a warm engine, it will run rich and the cat will not convert all of the carbons to CO2

Floridajeepcherokee
10-25-2013, 11:47 PM
change o2, thermostat or temp sensor?

xj4life2
10-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Soaked floor on pass side is the heater core, leave it bypassed or replace it. As for the rest , check all grounds , clean as needed , you must have good grounds or computer and sensors wont function. Change the thermostat, use the factory OEM temp, do not use a lower temp as most of us think is better as the computer watches this and wont go into closed loop untill it hits its mark (usually about 180*). Steve si right on the money on the o2 and cat. change both sensors though as one does watch the other and will set a code if they don't like each other. Also it says in the Jeep manual to change o2's every 28k in a Jeep.After all this is done disconect the battery wait 10min and reconnect to clear codes. It may run weird for a while as the computer re-learns its operating stratigy.Good luck !!!

Floridajeepcherokee
10-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Soaked floor on pass side is the heater core, leave it bypassed or replace it. As for the rest , check all grounds , clean as needed , you must have good grounds or computer and sensors wont function. Change the thermostat, use the factory OEM temp, do not use a lower temp as most of us think is better as the computer watches this and wont go into closed loop untill it hits its mark (usually about 180*). Steve si right on the money on the o2 and cat. change both sensors though as one does watch the other and will set a code if they don't like each other. Also it says in the Jeep manual to change o2's every 28k in a Jeep.After all this is done disconect the battery wait 10min and reconnect to clear codes. It may run weird for a while as the computer re-learns its operating stratigy.Good luck !!!

water on floor is A/C related, Heater core was disconnected when I bought and I wet vacuumed the carpet twice since then.

Floridajeepcherokee
10-26-2013, 01:33 PM
The temp gauge has seemed always on the low mark. It generally runs the first mark before the half way point. Of course it goes up when towing.

abramj
02-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Hey, for all you guys who jumped in on this, I just got back from Autozone, and had no codes. I had to push it off the road coming home from church, waited a little, and it started. Usually it had been missing, or dies. Usually at an intersection. Always started back up till yesterday. Then another long delay today. No code at all. I'm going for the crank sensor.

4.3LXJ
02-16-2014, 03:39 PM
That would be the best place to start

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

rm2406
02-18-2014, 01:18 PM
yup.. give the cps sensor a try... it ONLY gives a CEL when the problem is occuring....
note: if you do change the CPS, my advise to make it a bit easier... SET THE PARKING BRAKE, PUT GEAR LEVER ALL THE WAY BACK, NOW CRAWL UNDERNEATH AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNBOLT THE CPS MORE EASILY. my hands are big and i did this and was able to use just the socket,wrench and a small extention to remove. i was also able to tighten and untighten the bolt by hand with ease.. remember unbolt the highest bolt first or when doing the bottom first you might lose the bolt down the flywheel then your problems will be that much bigger..............

abramj
02-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Picked up the Crank and Cam sensor, just to cover all my sensor bases, and the cam was simple, but the crank sensor was impossible with my tools. So I took it to a local shop, and they charged me $40 to install it. So far, hasn't died again! Thanks for the help!