PDA

View Full Version : The RIGHT tool for the job

TimmyTXJ
03-25-2013, 07:53 AM
I'd like to tell a little anecdote this morning and hopefully save you some time if you ever have to swap out your steering gear.

I had lofty plans this weekend to get a whole bunch of work done on my Jeep. Despite the gloomy morning, we got up and started work early. The first task to accomplish? Pull the leaking steering gear. You know that pesky nut that holds the pitman arm on? It's a 33mm nut. (Kudos to Lil' Jim, Big Jim, and Matt for the emergency text info)

I didn't know that useful fact when I started. I also didn't have any sockets or crescent wrenches in my arsenal that big. We tried to get the nut started using penetrating oil and heat along with the only thing in my toolbox that would fit, a robogrip pair of pliers. I don't think I have to tell you that after half an hour of trying we had zero luck. :bang:

We figured the nut to be just bigger than my largest socket so we cleaned everything up and headed for the hardware store. I bought a 1 1/4" socket and a large crescent wrench. We headed back home where we found out SURPRISE! the socket didn't fit (just barely). So we set about taking the nut off with the crescent wrench... good thing I thought ahead!

... an hour and a half later. Pounding on the wrench with a BFH and using nearly a can of penetrating oil still no luck. :sign0181: It's at this point that I reached out for help. :xjtalk: We went to the nearest auto store and picked up the correct 33mm socket.

Once home, we put the socket on my breaker bar. :pray: I prayed while Jenny put the socket over the nut. It fit! She then proceeded with freakishly superhuman strength, to EASILY loosen the nut.

My point folks? Don't be a cheap A$$ like me, and don't waste your time. Use your resources, find out what the right tool is, and buy it or borrow it. Save yourselves the frustration!

01xjcny
03-25-2013, 08:11 AM
i agree i do it for a living and hate when we tell someone what they need to do to the car and they say ok i can that and take it home strip out bolts or break them and bring it back like nothing happen and ask us to fix it. i have a addiction for tools and shop the tool trucks weekly

Mudderoy
03-25-2013, 08:43 AM
I'd like to tell a little anecdote this morning and hopefully save you some time if you ever have to swap out your steering gear.

I had lofty plans this weekend to get a whole bunch of work done on my Jeep. Despite the gloomy morning, we got up and started work early. The first task to accomplish? Pull the leaking steering gear. You know that pesky nut that holds the pitman arm on? It's a 33mm nut. (Kudos to Lil' Jim, Big Jim, and Matt for the emergency text info)

I didn't know that useful fact when I started. I also didn't have any sockets or crescent wrenches in my arsenal that big. We tried to get the nut started using penetrating oil and heat along with the only thing in my toolbox that would fit, a robogrip pair of pliers. I don't think I have to tell you that after half an hour of trying we had zero luck. :bang:

We figured the nut to be just bigger than my largest socket so we cleaned everything up and headed for the hardware store. I bought a 1 1/4" socket and a large crescent wrench. We headed back home where we found out SURPRISE! the socket didn't fit (just barely). So we set about taking the nut off with the crescent wrench... good thing I thought ahead!

... an hour and a half later. Pounding on the wrench with a BFH and using nearly a can of penetrating oil still no luck. :sign0181: It's at this point that I reached out for help. :xjtalk: We went to the nearest auto store and picked up the correct 33mm socket.

Once home, we put the socket on my breaker bar. :pray: I prayed while Jenny put the socket over the nut. It fit! She then proceeded with freakishly superhuman strength, to EASILY loosen the nut.

My point folks? Don't be a cheap A$$ like me, and don't waste your time. Use your resources, find out what the right tool is, and buy it or borrow it. Save yourselves the frustration!

I bet they already told you, but put that back on with a 1/2" torque wrench. 180 ft/lbs I believe, but double check it. It's a good thing when it is tough to take off. Also you'll need a $15 puller to get the pitman arm off.

89Laredo
03-25-2013, 09:41 AM
I used a 3/4" drive ratchet and a 4ft piece of pipe.

4.3LXJ
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
I agree, the right tools for the job. Also, 1 5/16" socket works well too, which is what I have on an impact on steroids. And while you are at it, a pitman arm puller saves a lot of headache too

TimmyTXJ
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
I borrowed a pitman arm puller from the auto store as well as a pickle fork to seperate the pitman on either end. The flats on the puller are all rounded off so I'm going to return it and just buy a new one for myself. (I'll need it again when I finally decide to get the Cougar back together). Thanks for the torque specification Tony!

girlyjen78
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
:pray: I prayed while Jenny put the socket over the nut. It fit! She then proceeded with freakishly superhuman strength, to EASILY loosen the nut.

Yep! Was expecting it to be on there just as tight as it was with the wrong tools...Pulled and landed on my butt! :mad0029:

:D

bluedragon436
03-25-2013, 02:54 PM
I've always been told in all my training since I was in small engines class in HS not use the wrong tool for the job... and over the years with working on stuff in the garage mine and others, as well as even the AF... I have gotten pretty creative to make what I have work most of the time, other times I get to grow my tool collection!! I will say thanks for letting me know what size the pitman arm nut is... as I hope to replace my gearbox within the next few months... I already have the puller in my tool collection, and will fire up the compressor and impact... but will have to make sure I pick up the correct size socket before I start the project...

Brasscatz
03-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Although I must say that SOMETIMES the wrong tool is EXACTLY what you need! I recall jack handles being quite helpful! :rolleye0012:

Mudderoy
03-25-2013, 11:39 PM
I've always been told in all my training since I was in small engines class in HS not use the wrong tool for the job... and over the years with working on stuff in the garage mine and others, as well as even the AF... I have gotten pretty creative to make what I have work most of the time, other times I get to grow my tool collection!! I will say thanks for letting me know what size the pitman arm nut is... as I hope to replace my gearbox within the next few months... I already have the puller in my tool collection, and will fire up the compressor and impact... but will have to make sure I pick up the correct size socket before I start the project...

l'll warn you guys. The nut that holds the unit bearing on the front axles, isn't a 33mm, close, but it's different, so just get that socket now. :poke:

89Laredo
03-26-2013, 12:30 AM
36mm iirc

xj4life2
03-29-2013, 02:51 PM
I use a 3/4" air gun , they usually come right off

XjJeepacorn
03-29-2013, 03:56 PM

That's right! I consider my self to be knowledgable enough and experienced enough to do most jobs, but I still like looking for write ups for this exact reason! That way if there isn't a tool I have that will make things go quicker then I can go get it! Also more often then not there unforeseen problems you may run into and if you read a couple write ups you usually get the whole story and can be prepared for what ever to happen, but not always! So just be ready for anything :)

4.3LXJ
03-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Yup, can't ever have enough tools

nickyg
03-29-2013, 04:19 PM
X2. The axle is held in with a 36mm. I just had to buy one.
I've got a lot of scars on my hands from makes shift tools and redneckary
Now I just go and get the right tools.. If you own a jeep your gonna use em more then once.

cpttuna
03-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I believe in the 7P's- PROPER PRIOR PLANNING PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE.