PDA

View Full Version : Where does the Bible come from?

TeXJ
03-23-2013, 11:10 PM
What is the origin of the Bible? How were the books collected, and where they written in the same timeline that they are found in the Bible?

nateyz2000
03-24-2013, 12:21 AM
What is the origin of the Bible? How were the books collected, and where they written in the same timeline that they are found in the Bible?

I just learned about this but I don't remember in detail how it was explained. It has been written over thousands of years, in 1500ish AD (dont remember exact) there was a group of guys that put together the books they thought were most important (being led by spirit) the old testament is in order I believe, but the new testament is not chronologically ordered. The first 4 books are the gospel, Matthew mark Luke and john, they are all biographies of Jesus. I always wondered why there were 4, but found out, each author wrote a biography to a certain people group. Greeks, Romans, non believers and Jews. I could go into more detail on that if you would like. We have 1 book on history of church, acts. Then we have Paul's 9 letters to the churches. Then there were 4 letters written to 3 people. Then 8 letters written to general population. And of course the last book of prophecy. When you understand the frameworks of the new testament, and who wrote what to who and why, it starts being interesting because of the context.
Chronologically, the new testiment books for approximate date written would look like this:
James
1+2 Thessalonians
Galatians
1+2 Corinthians
Romans
Around the same time: Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Mark, Philemon
then Jude, 1+2 Peter, matthew, Luke
Then, Acts, 1 Timothy
Titus, Hebrews
2 Timothy
John
1+2+3 John
revelation

The letters to churches are ordered from longest to shortest, as well as letters to people.
I could go on about the nt... Lol

nateyz2000
03-24-2013, 12:28 AM
It was explained to me like this...

If I give you these numbers, what do they mean:
7-21, 3-0, 79-104, 3-12, -3
What do they mean?

Most likely, an average person wouldn't have a clue, but if I told you these numbers are related to sports, you could figure the rest out. Without context, things are difficult to comprehend!

4.3LXJ
03-24-2013, 12:39 AM
The recorded Bible started with the writings of Moses, the first 5 books around 1300 BC. Other prophets have added to this in two groups. The major prophets such as Daniel, Isiah and Jeremiah, then there are the Minor prophets such as Obediah and Malachi. The books of the Old Testament Christians read are not in chronological order. The New Testament was canonized in 200 AD at the Council of Nicea I believe. To be canonized, the writer had to have been an eye witness of Jesus. There have been many lost gospels etc, but non have made it into the Bible. If you have a Catholic Bible, it contains a section in the middle called the Apocrypha. These are writings of persons between the last book, Malachi and the birth of Christ. They are not generally considered to be inspired.

nateyz2000
03-24-2013, 01:15 AM
The recorded Bible started with the writings of Moses, the first 5 books around 1300 BC. Other prophets have added to this in two groups. The major prophets such as Daniel, Isiah and Jeremiah, then there are the Minor prophets such as Obediah and Malachi. The books of the Old Testament Christians read are not in chronological order. The New Testament was canonized in 200 AD at the Council of Nicea I believe. To be canonized, the writer had to have been an eye witness of Jesus. There have been many lost gospels etc, but non have made it into the Bible. If you have a Catholic Bible, it contains a section in the middle called the Apocrypha. These are writings of persons between the last book, Malachi and the birth of Christ. They are not generally considered to be inspired.

Did I say 1500? Lol not to educated in ot.... Yet!

ArmyGuy45
03-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Probably China. Everything comes from China.:D

TeXJ
03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
I agree as well, China! haha

Great job on the history of the Bible. However, Revelations was written before the Gospel of John was written.

Offtopic: ArmyGuy didnt I see a thread that said you are far and away?