PDA

View Full Version : N. Texas XJ's...must be extinct

TeXJ
03-23-2013, 11:06 PM
hello hello hello

Brasscatz
03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
I've lived my whole life in DFW... until 2007 when the wifey wanted to move to HER home town. I miss it up there.

adambaum
03-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Not true. We exist, I promise! I see plenty of other XJs ridin' around over here in Tarrant County. Hell, the FedEx driver that delivers to our business all the time saw mine in the parking lot, and introduced himself -- he's an XJ owner and avid 'wheeler himself.

TeXJ
03-26-2013, 10:15 PM
That sucks! At least you still have some good peeps down there.

JeepOnly
01-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Here's two in south Tarrant county. And I see plenty around here.

prerunner1982
01-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Go further North and you will be in Red Dirt Jeep country.

Ornery
04-16-2014, 01:27 PM
My 88 XJ is moving to Dallas/Ft. Worth area in about a month. I guess I will go with it.

JeepOnly
04-17-2014, 09:12 AM
My 88 XJ is moving to Dallas/Ft. Worth area in about a month. I guess I will go with it.
Ornery is yours the Laredo model, if so keep it if you can. Mine just turned over 300,000, runs great doesn't burn oil and is my daily driver. The reason I say this is that its the last year model to still have AMC parts and engineering, they went down hill after that, I know because my dad worked at a dealer for awhile, even the salesmen agreed to this and said the Patriot was equal to the cheapest KIA SUV, he worked as a transporter and said he was scared every time he had to drive the Patriot. The only two major fixes were the transmission and A/C they were both replaced. I'm now replacing my goofy NPR 231 transfer case Z linkage. I'm not using the Novak system that everyone refers to in other forums, I'm making it myself for under $30. Also shortly after I bought my 88 one of the four wheeler magazines advertised an article on the top 10 most stolen SUV vehicles. The article started by listing explicitly the "1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo" as the first one which caught my attention, sure enough about 3 months later mine was just seconds away from being stolen but the guy was scared off. I wish I could find that magazine.

Ornery
04-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Not a Laredo. Base model 4 dr. Cherokee. 4.0 six cylinder 5 speed standard trans., 182,000 miles. I bought it from the original owner. Little problems being worked on. Replacing worn bushings and shocks. Replacing old ignition wires, filters, etc. I'm not building a rock crawler, she is in too good of shape. Not a bit of rust. Paint on drivers side is severely faded, he kept it in his carport, drivers side facing out. An incredibly fun little rig to drive. My first Jeep. Relocating to Dallas/Ft. Worth area from Missouri. The company my wife worked for relocated there. I do want to do some off roading though. I like to camp, is there a Jeep club in that area that does this?

JeepOnly
04-17-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm sure there is a club in the north Dallas area, I haven't joined any clubs myself and not sure of what is in the area. My time is tied up with my Autistic son. My jeep is all original except for the two major repairs and now my shifting mod. Same as you I have bad paint fade but no rust. Since it was new I had it rust proofed and undercoated at the dealer, then for the next three years I took it to the business that did the rustproofing, they pressure sprayed it and re-coated it. I did this since I was in Florida at the time and being near the coast salt is in the air all the time. You have a good Jeep that 4.0 is a die hard, mine has the 5 speed trany also. This was my first and will be my only new vehicle. I can't think of another vehicle that I would want now days, you see one you've seen them all. I'm starting to see more older vehicles on the road, it's so nice to see some great and different designs on the road.

TeXJ
04-17-2014, 07:00 PM

Where at in DFW?

Ornery
04-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Flower Mound

LGrocks
04-18-2014, 11:52 PM
There is a good club here called Lonestar Jeep Club. Check out LSJC.org

I just got a WJ recently and will be joining the club. Seems they are pretty active all year. Northwest OHV in Bridgeport is supposed to be a good spot. And lucky me it's only 25 minutes from my house.

Ornery
04-19-2014, 08:18 AM
I will check them out, thanks!

TeXJ
04-19-2014, 09:53 AM
LSJC is great for new people, lots of people in the club, but drama can rear it's ugly head.

Great place to start.

Oh and +1 on Bridgeport OHV, Oh and get used to not being able to just drive down the road to go on some "public" land to wheel. It doesnt exist here :(

MRIMiester
05-05-2014, 10:26 PM
I live east of Dallas in Kaufman. I am a member of LSJC. I went wheeling with them at Bridgeport. Everyone seemed real nice. It was mostly Wranglers, but there was one other XJ.

TeXJ
05-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Welcome, I need to get out and go wheeling but I'm still dealing with a wobble in the front of mine.

I'm TeXJ on LSJC.org as well, just I'm not on there much.

Also try Chaos4x4 (http://chaos4x4.org/smf/) They are local as well.

denverd1
01-04-2017, 02:08 PM
will be wheeling Bridgeport Jan 20-22 with local club. Check out www.etxjc.org. we have good rides every month. did Barnwell 12/31. Wolf Caves in Feb, K trail in March

XJ Wheeler
01-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Was at Barnwell just over 15 years ago right after we got my brothers xj. Wish it was closer!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

denverd1
01-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Cool story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TeXJ
01-05-2017, 02:14 PM
some nice rides coming up for yall, always wanted to try ktrail.

Another cool spot is Arbuckle in OK.

denverd1
01-06-2017, 02:44 PM
they did arbuckle last year not on calendar for 17. Doing Byrd's in Sept and Hot Springs as well

TeXJ
01-24-2023, 06:03 PM
bump for a good time