PDA

View Full Version : My communications set up

Mudderoy
03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
I sat in the drivers seat of my Jeep an held the face plate of the 706. I wanted to be able to easily see the control head and not have to look down, around, etc...

One of the reasons for this installation was to make the drive to and from work seem a little shorter. That means stop and go traffic, so my eyes need to have priority for that.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/706_install.jpg

Recently I added a nylon spacer so I could angle the control head towards me.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/706_install1.jpg

Originally I installed the "beef" part of the 706 under the passenger's seat. There just wasn't enough room, and after hurricane Rita I started getting concerned that I might be in a situation where water could enter the Jeep. This means the Jeep and the occupants might be just fine, but the radio would be dead. This isn't desired in an emergency situation. So I looked around and found a spot much higher than it was when it was installed under the seat. This is mounted on the back of the center console. A ground wire was run to the body of the Jeep.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/706_install2.jpg

Here is another view from the passenger side rear.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/706_install3.jpg

I was concerned that when I moved the radio from it's original installation that some magical quality would be lost. I was getting very good reports of audio and signal quality. Well the good news is I still am, and even was before I installed the ground wire.

As you may have noticed I still need to run the coax and AH4 antenna tuner cable under the carpet.

Mudderoy
03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
It was great getting the ICOM 706 for my Jeep XJ (Cherokee), but what kind of antenna to use? I love the screwdriver antenna.
Fully tunable from seat of the mobile ham shack, but getting in and out of the garage and parking garages would be a nightmare.

And the thought of having a $300-$500 antenna fall off and be crushed underneath an 18 wheeler, well it just wasn't my idea of a good idea.

Frankly I have a problem with any antenna that costs more that $15, ok beams are different.

When I started in amateur radio I used a Heathkit HW-101, a 5 position antenna switch and a butt-load of copper wire.

With all this said my solution was an automatic antenna tuner and a 108" whip!

The whip is cheap, sturdy, and it takes the position of that butt-load of copper wire in my previous antenna installations.

The antenna tuner is expensive, but it is stored inside the vehicle. If it falls off I will be in a situation where my antenna is the least of my worries.

It seemed to me that the ICOM AH4 antenna tuner was a good solution.

Where to place the ICOM AH4 automatic antenna tuner? I looked around, and I knew I wanted to put the tuner as close to the antenna as possible.

Since the spare tire holder, and the gas tank filer tube is located on the driver's side, this meant I needed to look on the passenger side.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant1.jpg
Removing about 5 screws lets this full panel come lose.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant2.jpg
The panel swings away to expose the interior of the passenger rear quarter panel. Yes that little white box is the ICOM AH4 tuner.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant3.jpg
You can see where the tuner connects to the back of the ball antenna mount. The ground is about a foot long, were as the lead to the antenna is about 5 inches.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant4.jpg
Here is a view of the antenna, spring, and ball mount on the Jeep.
All the external antenna hardware was chrome, I painted it flat black.
The antenna clips to the rain gutter.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant5.jpg
Here are the positions of the two antennas, and antenna clip.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_706head.jpg
This is where I mounted the 706 control head. More on that 706 installation later.

firehawk
03-19-2009, 08:15 PM
About everyone I know uses the FSR radio now, at least for hunting/scouting. I tried to get a Jeep club I belong to to use them, but they stick with CB's.

CB's are getting kinda hard to find anymore, plus isn't it kind of outdated technology?

Just my .02 worth.

Mudderoy
03-19-2009, 08:22 PM
About everyone I know uses the FSR radio now, at least for hunting/scouting. I tried to get a Jeep club I belong to to use them, but they stick with CB's.

CB's are getting kinda hard to find anymore, plus isn't it kind of outdated technology?

Just my .02 worth.

Really? I have seen CBs at Wal-Mart. Cheap too. FSR is a good choice. FM and very good distance. Not as good as a CB, but good. Also you are not supposed to connect an external antenna to a FSR. FSR is what they were wanting CB to be 60 years ago.

Ham radio licences are much easier to get now days. You can get a Tech license (no morse code requirement) and a 2 meter FM radio for less than $150. The antenna is about 2 feet long and you can transmit much farther than a FSR. If you use a repeater you can have a better than cell phone quality concersation with someone 20 to 40 miles away.

Just my :2c: :D

firehawk
03-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I've seen them at Walmart, but to me a small FSR radio is much less hassle. The pair I have have a range of 10 miles, and I see they have them now with a range of over 20 miles.

I grew up with a friend who's dad was big into 2 meter radios back in the late '70's. He also had a huge shortwave setup in the basement. Cool stuff, all the vacume tubes, etc...

BTW, if we ever meet up I'm going to throw some mud on your Jeep.;-) That is one clean sharp looking truck!!!

Mudderoy
03-20-2009, 12:36 AM
He ya go!

http://muckleroy.com/images/Jeep_dirty.jpg :smiley-scared002:

http://muckleroy.com/images/Jeep_dirty8.jpg :smiley-laughing008:

JerryD
09-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Hey Mudderoy - I know this post is a few months old, but I'm not seeing any pictures. Have they moved?

I'm looking to get back in to an XJ after a brief flirtation with an IH Scout... but I digress. I was just curoius to see your set up.

Jerry (N2JPZ... yeah, it's a vanity sign)

Mudderoy
09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey Mudderoy - I know this post is a few months old, but I'm not seeing any pictures. Have they moved?

I'm looking to get back in to an XJ after a brief flirtation with an IH Scout... but I digress. I was just curoius to see your set up.

Well no, I see the pictures. Anyone else having a problem?

Mudderoy
09-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Try this link and see if you can see these pictures... :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/album.php?albumid=1)

JerryD
09-04-2009, 09:46 PM
I can see the "muddy" images (& I use that term loosely ;) ) but I can't see the ones hosted on your call sign domain, nor can I access it through a browser. ???

Mudderoy
09-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I can see the "muddy" images (& I use that term loosely ;) ) but I can't see the ones hosted on your call sign domain, nor can I access it through a browser. ???

OH! Okay I know what the issue is, let me fix it.

JerryD
09-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Yes I can see those. FYI... I saw a post on NAXJA where you posted pics in 08 on the same host and those are blank, too.

Mudderoy
09-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes I can see those. FYI... I saw a post on NAXJA where you posted pics in 08 on the same host and those are blank, too.

Yeah I let my n5fnh.com domain expire, so you cannot see those pictures. I just moved them to xjtalk.com, now you should be able to see them.

JerryD
09-04-2009, 09:55 PM
It's like MAGIC!!! Yeah, that did it. By the way, this is my what? 4th post? Been lurking for a while but plan on getting back in Jeeperdom soon. Really like the site!

Mudderoy
09-04-2009, 10:00 PM
It's like MAGIC!!! Yeah, that did it. By the way, this is my what? 4th post? Been lurking for a while but plan on getting back in Jeeperdom soon. Really like the site!

Good, be sure and share. Really glad you like it. We try to make it enjoyable.

whowey
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM

Just my .02 worth.

Have you ever been out to one of the off-road parks on a holiday weekend???

FRS(family radio service) units are almost completely worthless...
The sheer amount of them there makes it almost impossible to find a quiet channel to use.

Also about 99% of these units are combo GMRS/FRS units. The "high power" channels actually require an FCC license to use legally. The "low power" channels are the ones that are usable without a license. Yes, I realize that the chances that you would be caught are almost non-existent. But people like Muddy and I(and several others on this site) already posses an FCC license in another service. We are expected to know better. If we were caught using one of these radios illegally, we are going to punished much harsher than a person without one.

And from a technical standpoint, these units really are not a good choice in a wheeling environment. They operate only FM mode in the UHF spectrum. This means while they sound really good at short open distances. The signals are EXTREMELY susceptible to being absorbed by ground cover,trees hills, etc. Or in other terms most of the wheeling environment. The low power output(half a watt, IIRC) and short, permantly fixed antenna just make the problem worse.

While CB is kinda of an out-of-fad technology, its actually a good solution. With a common availabilty, absolutely no 'tech-fear' level from users. The price is fairly reasonable for a set-up and there is a pretty good selection of equipment for someone that wants something fancier.

Primo
09-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I know this might sound lame but I have no idea about any of this stuff. I have a motorola walk about witch I think is the FSR you are talking about and have had a little time with a CB.
Whatever you have there in your set up Mudderoy is purley bad A** looking!
I wan't one but it sounds way over my pay grade, Is it a ham or what?
I would like to learn more but remember I'm a virgin.:confused:

Primo
09-19-2009, 04:03 PM

The sheer amount of them there makes it almost impossible to find a quiet channel to use.

I can't even imagine seens how the nearest thing to a off road park we have here is MOAB, ever been there on easter???? Even CB's are worthless.

Mudderoy
09-20-2009, 03:50 AM

Also about 99% of these units are combo GMRS/FRS units. The "high power" channels actually require an FCC license to use legally. The "low power" channels are the ones that are usable without a license. Yes, I realize that the chances that you would be caught are almost non-existent. But people like Muddy and I(and several others on this site) already posses an FCC license in another service. We are expected to know better. If we were caught using one of these radios illegally, we are going to punished much harsher than a person without one.

And from a technical standpoint, these units really are not a good choice in a wheeling environment. They operate only FM mode in the UHF spectrum. This means while they sound really good at short open distances. The signals are EXTREMELY susceptible to being absorbed by ground cover,trees hills, etc. Or in other terms most of the wheeling environment. The low power output(half a watt, IIRC) and short, permantly fixed antenna just make the problem worse.

While CB is kinda of an out-of-fad technology, its actually a good solution. With a common availabilty, absolutely no 'tech-fear' level from users. The price is fairly reasonable for a set-up and there is a pretty good selection of equipment for someone that wants something fancier.

Keep in mind that we are at a solar minimum right now. So there isn't so much random transmission coming from 500+ miles away to interferer with your conversation. This will be changing dramatically (or should) over the next 4 to 5 years. Signals (skip) can get so loud during the day that all you will hears is a constant screaming of signals.

I have heard that many off roaders are looking into 2 meter HAM radio. FM VHF signals, and good for several miles. Using a repeater you can have clear conversations with people 30 miles apart.

whowey
09-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Absolutely 2 meters would be a fantastic choice for off-roaders. The equipment is durable, the frequencies and power levels used are just about perfect for the environment. Many repeater owners would like the extra traffic and most amateur operators would be very accommodating to the traffic.

The pricing of the equipment is always going to be a bit of a deterrent to wider spread usage. For what a good antenna and mount costs, you can have a complete CB set-up. Also while the test is pretty easy, some people aren't good with the concepts addressed in the Tech license. And of course there will always be some small portion of the amateur population that will rage like bloody murder over a new group on the air that has any sort of purpose beyond stale, boring, dull net ops.

Mudderoy
09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Absolutely 2 meters would be a fantastic choice for off-roaders. The equipment is durable, the frequencies and power levels used are just about perfect for the environment. Many repeater owners would like the extra traffic and most amateur operators would be very accommodating to the traffic.

The pricing of the equipment is always going to be a bit of a deterrent to wider spread usage. For what a good antenna and mount costs, you can have a complete CB set-up. Also while the test is pretty easy, some people aren't good with the concepts addressed in the Tech license. And of course there will always be some small portion of the amateur population that will rage like bloody murder over a new group on the air that has any sort of purpose beyond stale, boring, dull net ops.

You can get a 50 watt 2 meter mobile radio for less than $200, and an antenna "Larson" for less than $50. eBay you can get that mobile for closer to $100. I agree about the repeater operators though, but hey there's always simplex! ;)

prerunner1982
09-22-2009, 12:29 PM
What does it take to have/build a repeater? Who usually operates them?

Mudderoy
09-22-2009, 12:32 PM

Any HAM with a Advance class license or higher. You have to be assigned a frequency which is usually the problem finding a pair that hasn't been assigned. That might just be in the Houston area though.

prerunner1982
09-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Any HAM with a Advance class license or higher. You have to be assigned a frequency which is usually the problem finding a pair that hasn't been assigned. That might just be in the Houston area though.

What is the cost of having a tower and does the owner get any benefit out of it besides helping other operators gain some distance?

Mudderoy
09-22-2009, 04:52 PM
What is the cost of having a tower and does the owner get any benefit out of it besides helping other operators gain some distance?

No benefit that I can think of. I mean if you get a good group on the repeater it's entertaining. Basically it's like this website. You get to chat with the same people each day. Usually going to or coming home from work.

whowey
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM

That's been changed. Any liscensed amateur can own a repeater. It just has to be in a frequency and mode that your liscense allows. And trying to find an unassigned pair in any major city is going to be a problem. Too bad many repeaters are off the air, or worse closed.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/octqtr/pdf/47cfr97.205.pdf

whowey
09-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Repeaters can be very simple or quite complex. They can be as simple as a pair of heavy duty radios that are set-up to operate in duplex mode. Or they can be as complicated as to need racks of equipment, with telephone and internet interchanges, multiple tone generators, automatic operation modes, and recording capabilities.

Operations are alot of times controlled by clubs or special interest groups. The price of building, maintaining and operating a nice repeater can reach into the tens of thousands a year. Where a bargin basement one could just be a few hundred to build and maintain.

Tower costs depend entirely on the style, placement and usage of the tower. Renting space on a commerical tower can cost thousands a year, but the owner may have upwards of $100k invested in the construction of the tower. A commercial owner gets rent from the other antennas and repeaters hosted on their tower. This can lead to them blaming amateur radio repeaters for problems, as many times the amateur repeaters are lower end equipment and the amateurs may pay a much lesser rent than other commercial users.

A quick example of a cheap repeater. I have a friend that has a couple of repeater pairs wanted to put something up in the small town we live in. He wanted something small for really local operations, primarly him and his wife while they work around town. We put a 20 foot former wireless cable antenna mast and a small vinyl shed on the roof of his 4 story apartment building in our town. The power is nothing more than a weather-proof extension cord that runs to the building power. The antennas and radios are simply commercial service cast-offs he bought from the junk bin at a local radio supplier.

Now our large county radio club has three repeaters. Two are former county sheriff units that were re-tuned for amateur usage. These came with all the bells, whistles and appendages that the sheriff would have. Both are provided free as the Sheriff's office claims these as 'back-up' communications systems under the IEMA plan. But if the club had to buy these repeaters, they would have cost $5000-$10,000 with out installation costs.

prerunner1982
09-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Mudd & Whowey... thank you. (thank you button is gone..??)

I find this all very interesting...

Primo
09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I still think this might be a little over my head. Im guna try to look in to it still tho.

Jeep88
10-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you for me being a member of your forums

GT MOTORSPORTS
12-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Mudderoy,

where did you get that ball mount? I want another for my jeep. O by the way I love your XJ. that is one nicely put together jeep.

Also can you spec your jeep for me..that just about how I plan to put my DD together.

Is there any advantages to owning such a high powered radio system in case of emergencies? I am going through training to become a volenteer fire fighter..just curious.

Mudderoy
12-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Mudderoy,

where did you get that ball mount? I want another for my jeep. O by the way I love your XJ. that is one nicely put together jeep.

Also can you spec your jeep for me..that just about how I plan to put my DD together.

Is there any advantages to owning such a high powered radio system in case of emergencies? I am going through training to become a volenteer fire fighter..just curious.

It's a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, with Up Country package. 4.0L engine, AW4 trans, NP242J transfer case. D30 and C8.25. Rough Country 4.5" lift, 4.56 gears and 32" BFG tire. 15x10 American Racing wheels. Detours slimline bumper in the rear, with tire carrier. Detours custom winch bumper (my drawing their design) with 4 KC lights. Recently added the Superwinch epi9.0. Bushwackers cut out flares.

I'm a little over half way done with the major stuff. Still have SYE, front/rear ARB lockers and Detours rock sliders and frame stiffener. Lots of little stuff.

I am a Amateur radio operator, or HAM. The radio was a natural thing for me to add to the rig. It's a hobby like the Jeep. The radio I installed is a multi band radio. Each band acts a little differently depending on time of day. So for an emergency radio it's pretty much a must have. Cell phones, satellite etc... all require high technology be present for them to work. This will include Internet as that become more available to mobile operations. The HAM radio only requires that I have the radio and an antenna. Depending on conditions I can communicate with someone a mile away or anywhere on the face of the globe.

The antenna is made of the Hustler SSM-1 Professional Ball Mount and Spring and a 102" stainless steel whip.

GT MOTORSPORTS
12-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info! I will be picking your brain more often on the radio. Your jeep is beautiful. I just noticed the info under your sig. Nicely built!Thanks agaian and Merry Christmas!

Mudderoy
12-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info! I will be picking your brain more often on the radio. Your jeep is beautiful. I just noticed the info under your sig. Nicely built!Thanks agaian and Merry Christmas!

Please do. That's one of the reasons for this site. There are so many Jeep Forums, I want this one to be different in the respect that there are no DUMB questions.

Thanks, I'm very proud of her.

Yep, I have much of the information in my sig, and if you look next to the poster's name you will see a box that says "xxxx's XJ". That's a drop down box that will give you details on that persons XJ. Some people haven't filled out their information yet, but I believe the majority have. This makes it easy those times when people forget to give all the information about their Jeep's configuration when they are asking for help.

GT MOTORSPORTS
12-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks for e info on the drop box..I see how that works now.

This site is alot more friendly than NAXJA.It doesnt take much for those guys to flame a person..not to menchan you have to pay to get a registired number to post in the tech section..blah..I understand it takes money to host a website but.I cant afford to pay for a number Ill never use. Thanks again for being so kind.

Greg

Mudderoy
12-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks for e info on the drop box..I see how that works now.

This site is alot more friendly than NAXJA.It doesnt take much for those guys to flame a person..not to menchan you have to pay to get a registired number to post in the tech section..blah..I understand it takes money to host a website but.I cant afford to pay for a number Ill never use. Thanks again for being so kind.

Greg

NAXJA has been of great help to me, and much of what I have learned (other than wrenching on my XJ) came from several people from NAXJA. Many of the members, and regular non-members on NAXJA were very polite and helpful with my nooby questions. There are a few that like to belittle people and spotlight their awesomeness. This is true on more than NAXJA though.

We don't have many rules here, but slapping around noobs is a big problem. All the moderators know that this forum is in existence so that ANYONE that wants to learn and enjoy Jeeping like us can come here and learn.

Now I won't guarantee they'll learn the right stuff from us, but we'll be nice teaching them just the same. :rotfl2:

Keep in mind to when you ask that question the search engines index it. When someone has the same problem you do and they are searching for the answer they may wind up on xjtalk. That means we've helped more than one person, and it may mean we have another member.

My personal goal is to either suck up all the Jeep forum members from ALL the other boards, or better yet, have the other Jeep forums enforce a policy like ours. Be nice to noobs! We were ALL noobs at one time. :mad0090:

GT MOTORSPORTS
12-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I have never really had any problems on NAXJA,I have just read a few posts that noobies got it pretty hard. I too have enjoyed learning from some of them. I hope I didnt come off wrong stating that there are a few who do flont the awsomness and flame the new guy. I found this site from NAXJA,when I was looking for tube doors for my 96'.

I am a fabricator and I wanted to post on there fabrication thread and it said I couldnt because I wasnt a paying memeber..that was the other grief I had with them. i understand,like I said,it takes money to run these sites but I just didnt like the fact I had to pay....any ways Thanks for all your help and so far I have posted more pics on this site than any other site im a member of(pirate4x4,NAXJA,Cincyofforad,etc)..

W.O.R.P.Offroad
02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
i know its off topic but a site that is not friendly to noobs it pirate. alot of the guys on there are asshats. they think they know more than anyone else. i know i dont know everything but some people need to chill as they dont know everything either

Mudderoy
02-16-2010, 03:47 PM
i know its off topic but a site that is not friendly to noobs it pirate. alot of the guys on there are asshats. they think they know more than anyone else. i know i dont know everything but some people need to chill as they dont know everything either

I have a lot more respect for someone that speaks to me that way in my face rather than hundreds if not thousands of miles away sitting behind a computer screen. Bullies come in all ages and sizes.

4.3LXJ
02-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I have a lot more respect for someone that speaks to me that way in my face rather than hundreds if not thousands of miles away sitting behind a computer screen. Bullies come in all ages and sizes.

Personally, I don't have any respect for anyone in either situation that speaks down to me. I respect others and I expect them to respect me in any situation.

urbantank
04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
since you guys already went off topic the worse internet gangsters are on xboxlive o man that is terible

But back on topic i am looking for a good cb and antenna fro trail riding mostly you got any suggetions mudderoy

on the antenna i dont want to cut a hole in my rig mount on the bumper would be fine but no hole cutting. some type of whip i can pin down kind of like yours but with out the hole in my quater pannel

and thank you for the site i am very much a nood to the xj world and have been sponging off this site for about a 3 weeks now

Mudderoy
04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
since you guys already went off topic the worse internet gangsters are on xboxlive o man that is terible

But back on topic i am looking for a good cb and antenna fro trail riding mostly you got any suggetions mudderoy

on the antenna i dont want to cut a hole in my rig mount on the bumper would be fine but no hole cutting. some type of whip i can pin down kind of like yours but with out the hole in my quater pannel

and thank you for the site i am very much a nood to the xj world and have been sponging off this site for about a 3 weeks now

We appreciate you using and posting on the site, that's not being a sponge.

Well like most things there are no easy answers. A full quarter wave antenna is going to out perform a shorter antenna. So what you have to ask yourself is what is the main purpose of your CB. If it is talking to other people on the trail then a shorter antenna is perfectly acceptable. If you are trying to get maxium range then a quarter wave in the middle of your roof would be best. A 102" whip in the middle of your roof is a little impractical though.

Many XJ'ers use a 4 foot whip and attack it to a spare tire carrier, or place an antenna mount just behind one of the tail lights. You drill a couple of holes but at least no one can see them behind the tail light.

Years back they used to make a 102" whip bumper mount. It consisted of a couple of brackets and some chains. With this configuration you could still ben the whip over and hook it to the clip on the rain gutter.

If you had a sun roof I'd recommend a K40 antenna mounted near the center of your roof. You could reach out the sun roof and a quarter turn remove it and bring it inside. Like when going through the drive through.

I did something like this on my 1983 Chevy short well base 4x4. With a 4" lift and 36" tires I would just reach out the sliding back glass and take the K40 off and sit it next to me until I got my order.

It worked out really slick. Best of both worlds.

urbantank
04-05-2010, 06:09 PM
what are the ones i see that look like they have a tube on the bottom about 2 feet up then a whip sticking out the tube

prerunner1982
04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Do you mean like this?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1FycpG1Rxl8/SnHIaqriKCI/AAAAAAAAAGM/D1dXVXwYl_8/s320/Ham+Radio+setup+006.jpg
That is a mobile 2 meter ham antenna.

Mudderoy
04-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Do you mean like this?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1FycpG1Rxl8/SnHIaqriKCI/AAAAAAAAAGM/D1dXVXwYl_8/s320/Ham+Radio+setup+006.jpg
That is a mobile 2 meter ham antenna.

I can't see it real clear but that antenna appears to be far to close to the metal of the back of the Jeep. This causes RF (Radio Frequency) energy to be reflected back into the antenna. This is the same as having a poorly tuned antenna connected to your transmitter. SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) is a calculation of the amount of RF power going out and the amount of RF power coming back in. The lower the SWR the more RF energy goes out. The higher the SWR the more energy comes back in. This heats up your final output transistors and can cause them to fail. Most, if not all, modern day radios have a sensing circuit to reduce the amount of RF power output to protect the final output transistors. Of course this means the radio should be ok, but instead of putting out full power you have a reduced power out and therefore reduced range.

As always I just tell you what I know, or think I know. If anyone has better information please jump in. Hell even if you don't! :rotfl2:

prerunner1982
04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I didn't say that was a good example... haha. It is actually mounted on the back of a truck with a utility service type bed.

XJ90TD
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone. As a nooby on this forum, i've passed time reading the different threads.
And one of the things i really appreciate, is the part dedicated to communications. Ham radio is one of my favourite hobbies, and i noticed that some of you, have a ham radio license, so here are some pics of my radio set up.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CbKwCKP3MW0/TbWjLr0ej6I/AAAAAAAAAHQ/f5ma_uLx7g8/s400/IMG_1058.JPG

The dual band antenna mount..... or for cb communications.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TjpOK1JBV0g/TbWjPHtjVEI/AAAAAAAAAHU/5nvZfeCohOM/s400/IMG_1059.JPG

My set up for yagis vhf antennas
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2WW0hTdHxBA/TbWjTpQrxzI/AAAAAAAAAHY/cOVN_6XVr3Q/s400/IMG_1062.JPG

A yaesu FT4700RH, for vhf/uhf
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mODUzgLJXWM/TbWkQhaC1nI/AAAAAAAAAHk/hQI0flg4qdQ/s400/IMG_0859+%25282%2529.jpg

Mudderoy
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone. As a nooby on this forum, i've passed time reading the different threads.
And one of the things i really appreciate, is the part dedicated to communications. Ham radio is one of my favourite hobbies, and i noticed that some of you, have a ham radio license, so here are some pics of my radio set up.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CbKwCKP3MW0/TbWjLr0ej6I/AAAAAAAAAHQ/f5ma_uLx7g8/s400/IMG_1058.JPG

The dual band antenna mount..... or for cb communications.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TjpOK1JBV0g/TbWjPHtjVEI/AAAAAAAAAHU/5nvZfeCohOM/s400/IMG_1059.JPG

My set up for yagis vhf antennas
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2WW0hTdHxBA/TbWjTpQrxzI/AAAAAAAAAHY/cOVN_6XVr3Q/s400/IMG_1062.JPG

A yaesu FT4700RH, for vhf/uhf
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mODUzgLJXWM/TbWkQhaC1nI/AAAAAAAAAHk/hQI0flg4qdQ/s400/IMG_0859+%25282%2529.jpg

I know many of you don't mind cutting up and hacking your XJ, but personally when installing an antenna I like these type of installations best. You're placing a mount where it isn't seen even after you remove the mount. This may be important as you change your antenna, or mounting locations for best performance, or clearance issues.

XJ90TD
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
The Cherokee has a large number of screws, so it's easy to install all sorts of things, we can mount and take down at will.

Mudderoy
04-26-2011, 01:30 PM
The Cherokee has a large number of screws, so it's easy to install all sorts of things, we can mount and take down at will.

Really? Like where, antenna mount speaking?

XJ90TD
04-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Sorry for answering late.. Yes, i was speaking about the antennas mounts. Like this one i use for my 10 meter band antenna :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Z8_ZxGXOzds/Tbg4nxGM2QI/AAAAAAAAAHo/-AiXavJRano/s400/IMG_1064_1.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yFwqgmXXVLQ/Tbg4q7UQ5RI/AAAAAAAAAHs/PKaJ09ky0Xw/s400/IMG_1065_1.JPG

Mudderoy
04-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Sorry for answering late.. Yes, i was speaking about the antennas mounts. Like this one i use for my 10 meter band antenna :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Z8_ZxGXOzds/Tbg4nxGM2QI/AAAAAAAAAHo/-AiXavJRano/s400/IMG_1064_1.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yFwqgmXXVLQ/Tbg4q7UQ5RI/AAAAAAAAAHs/PKaJ09ky0Xw/s400/IMG_1065_1.JPG

Thanks. Personally I wouldn't want to mount my antenna this way. I believe this setup would have a poor RF ground. But I understand your statement now.

dagr8tim
09-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. I've got to pull the headliner out to recover it and I'm seriously considering drilling a hole for an NMO in the center of the roof for 2m/440. With the real estate on the roof, that would be a great ground plane.

Most likely I'll be mounting a Yaesu FT-2500, Icom 2100, or maybe my old Icom T7H (being as I don't use it as a portable). The biggest thing for me is location. I'll have to read this thread closely to find a good location.

73's W8GTF

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. I've got to pull the headliner out to recover it and I'm seriously considering drilling a hole for an NMO in the center of the roof for 2m/440. With the real estate on the roof, that would be a great ground plane.

Most likely I'll be mounting a Yaesu FT-2500, Icom 2100, or maybe my old Icom T7H (being as I don't use it as a portable). The biggest thing for me is location. I'll have to read this thread closely to find a good location.

73's W8GTF

Yep that's what I did. I have a Larson dual band. I drilled it where I could get to the antenna by taking out the over head light. This way I didn't have to remove the headliner and running the coax from there to the driver's side a-pillar and down under the dash was pretty easy.

dagr8tim
09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Yep that's what I did. I have a Larson dual band. I drilled it where I could get to the antenna by taking out the over head light. This way I didn't have to remove the headliner and running the coax from there to the driver's side a-pillar and down under the dash was pretty easy.

My headliner is falling down and needs to be recovered. I figure while I have the headliner out, I can wire up my lighted visors, run the coax for the 2 meter, and afew other electrical projects.

I'm in the process of building a custom PDC harness that will fit 4 devices and use 30A powerpole connectors.

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 09:56 PM
My headliner is falling down and needs to be recovered. I figure while I have the headliner out, I can wire up my lighted visors, run the coax for the 2 meter, and afew other electrical projects.

I'm in the process of building a custom PDC harness that will fit 4 devices and use 30A powerpole connectors.

However you want to do it, but keep in mind what you'll go through if you have antenna problems. :D

We've got to redo the headliner in the 99, my wife's. I say we, because I'll be taking it out, she'll be redoing the headliner. Then I'll be putting it back in. :D

dagr8tim
09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
However you want to do it, but keep in mind what you'll go through if you have antenna problems. :D

We've got to redo the headliner in the 99, my wife's. I say we, because I'll be taking it out, she'll be redoing the headliner. Then I'll be putting it back in. :D

Is the dome light far enough back to have a decent ground plane? I know you only need 1/4 wave (19 inches), but what kind of benefit would you get to centering it?

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Is the dome light far enough back to have a decent ground plane? I know you only need 1/4 wave (19 inches), but what kind of benefit would you get to centering it?

Well I did put mind being the dome light and not in front of it. I've never had it mounted anywhere else so I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seem to have given me any limitations hitting repeaters or working SSB to Austin mobile to mobile during a temperature inversion.