PDA

View Full Version : It's Hip To Be Square!

girlyjen78
03-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Here's my baby! 1994 Jeep Wrangler SE/YJ

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/girlyjen78/33b69159-817f-4ee2-b725-4a22b2c9c918.jpg

I've done quite a few things to it since I bought it in June 2012 and have a small list of things go.

Been looking at getting a 4" lift and 33" All Terrains, lately.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Same color as my XJ. Just right

Hum Wee JR
03-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Nice jeep. I have a blue 94 yj also, but mine is not as pretty as yours. It has sags in the springs, stretch marks in the soft top, and wrinkles in the clear coat. It's lived a hard life as a snow bunny.

What mods have you done to yours? What are your plans in the future? Anything more than a lift and tires?

bigjim350
03-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Pretty sure her YJ is green. So when we gonna take it wheeling??

Brasscatz
03-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Looking good!

girlyjen78
03-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Nice jeep. I have a blue 94 yj also, but mine is not as pretty as yours. It has sags in the springs, stretch marks in the soft top, and wrinkles in the clear coat. It's lived a hard life as a snow bunny.

What mods have you done to yours? What are your plans in the future? Anything more than a lift and tires?

My springs are pretty flat which is why I really want the lift haha. So far I've:

Fixed the A/C - replaced a switch and the compressor
Misc re-wiring in the Jeep - I can't recall everything but someone rewired it and didn't do a very good job of it.
Replaced a perfect working CD player with a CD/MP3 player (that was when I found some crazy wiring issues)
Ripped the carpet out
Removed Chrome Grill Overlay
Painted the chrome bumpers, headlight bezels and the grill grate Hammered black
Replaced the camo seat covers with Jeep logo seat covers
Replaced water pump and thermostat
Cleaned and flushed radiator

As far as I know the Jeep runs great and has a bit of a mystery history to it so it's been fun figuring out the little trials and tribulations that have popped up. I've been pretty happy with it.

Plans:

4" Lift with 33's
Replace Driver/Passenger Seat
Replace the soft top with a new soft top. My hardware doesn't seem to match the BestTop Sunrider top that is on it. Plus I am missing a couple windows!
Install new horn or try to rewire the horn with the aftermarket wheel

girlyjen78
03-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Pretty sure her YJ is green. So when we gonna take it wheeling??

Yep! My YJ is green under the hood! Hmmm, I'm pretty dang intimidated about taking my Jeep out there but maybe I'll crack as some point!

girlyjen78
03-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Looking good!

Thank you!! :D

Mudderoy
03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Here's my baby! 1994 Jeep Wrangler SE/YJ

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/girlyjen78/33b69159-817f-4ee2-b725-4a22b2c9c918.jpg

I've done quite a few things to it since I bought it in June 2012 and have a small list of things go.

Been looking at getting a 4" lift and 33" All Terrains, lately.

Oh good we finally get to see it. :thanx: Oh and a 3" lift is fine. My wife has to pull herself up to get in our TJ with the 4" lift. I was just messing with you at Creekside, you get the size lift you want.

bluedragon436
03-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Nice looking YJ you have there... Will look good with 3" or 4" of lift... especially once you put some 33's on there...

girlyjen78
03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Oh good we finally get to see it. :thanx: Oh and a 3" lift is fine. My wife has to pull herself up to get in our TJ with the 4" lift. I was just messing with you at Creekside, you get the size lift you want.

No problem! I am finally happy to have a place to show it off other than on facebook :P

Hehehe! I am already having to pull myself to get into mine...I'm right at that awkward height where I can't just hop onto the seat...So since I'm having to pull myself in anyway another inch won't hurt. There's a TJ in my neighborhood that has a 4" and 33's on it and it looks about just right. I'm getting excited about it!

Mudderoy
03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Nice looking YJ you have there... Will look good with 3" or 4" of lift... especially once you put some 33's on there...

This is Tim for the next 4 years... "Do you remember that time I installed the lift on your Jeep?" Tim will have a "get out of romantic movies for free card"!

girlyjen78
03-18-2013, 11:28 PM

Thank you! I am thinking the same :)

YJJeepacorn
03-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Very nice! I love my Yammy alot more than my cherokee. Once I cracked and went out in him, I was addicted!

girlyjen78
03-18-2013, 11:59 PM
This is Tim for the next 4 years... "Do you remember that time I installed the lift on your Jeep?" Tim will have a "get out of romantic movies for free card"!

Hmm come to think of it...I think I've only made him sit through one romantic comedy! He's already talking about organizing a lift party for me...That would be super awesome!

Anyone local free in like a month or two? Hahaha!

Ok now for a semi serious question...I should probably wait to install the lift until AFTER I buy the bigger tires, right? I have 31 truck tires on there now.

Mudderoy
03-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Hmm come to think of it...I think I've only made him sit through one romantic comedy! He's already talking about organizing a lift party for me...That would be super awesome!

Ok now for a semi serious question...I should probably wait to install the lift until AFTER I buy the bigger tires, right? I have 31 truck tires on there now.

It won't hurt a thing having it lifted with the 31's. If you noticed the red TJ I was driving the 32's that we have on there look small. I'm not going to buy a new set of tires when the ones we have were fine. It's up to you but I say get the lift on there then the tires.

I'm sure Tim knows but I'd start hitting the shock mounts bolts now with some penetrating oil.

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Very nice! I love my Yammy alot more than my cherokee. Once I cracked and went out in him, I was addicted!

I'm just so afraid of breaking something...:pray:

bluedragon436
03-19-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm just so afraid of breaking something...:pray:

Hey, nothing wrong with breaking something... just means it's time to replace and upgrade those weak parts that do break!! LOL

Mudderoy
03-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey, nothing wrong with breaking something... just means it's time to replace and upgrade those weak parts that do break!! LOL

No I'm with her. Well if I remember correctly it's not her daily driver. If you heard the interview with her last week keep in mind that is a custom paint job too.

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 12:15 AM
It won't hurt a thing having it lifted with the 31's. If you noticed the red TJ I was driving the 32's that we have on there look small. I'm not going to buy a new set of tires when the ones we have were fine. It's up to you but I say get the lift on there then the tires.

I'm sure Tim knows but I'd start hitting the shock mounts bolts now with some penetrating oil.

Good points! Yeah...I wasn't even going to lift it or get new tires for it for awhile since the tires I have on there are practically brand new (thanks to the previous owners) but now I've got that "want" going through my mind lol!

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 12:20 AM
No I'm with her. Well if I remember correctly it's not her daily driver. If you heard the interview with her last week keep in mind that is a custom paint job too.

Nope, it isn't my daily driver...I bought it for fun, mainly bought it for riding around town on the weekends, throwing my mountain bike onto the back of it and hitting up some trails (the mountain biking sorts) and taking it to the beach during spring/summer...Still think it needs a little more of an aggressive stance for all of that, though ;)

Mudderoy
03-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Good points! Yeah...I wasn't even going to lift it or get new tires for it for awhile since the tires I have on there are practically brand new (thanks to the previous owners) but now I've got that "want" going through my mind lol!

The lift changes the look of the vehicle, and it's so nice sitting up high and being able to see all around you. Especially in traffic.

I suspect the lift will be easier on a YJ since it uses leaf springs front and rear. No coils to compress, other than the shocks and the transfer case drop it should be pretty easy.

bigjim350
03-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Dont worry about breaking it. There is nothing you can break on it that cant be fixed. And its easy to wheel em without breaking them, although im probably not the best example of that. Once you get ready to lift it, im sure we can get it done.

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Dont worry about breaking it. There is nothing you can break on it that cant be fixed. And its easy to wheel em without breaking them, although im probably not the best example of that. Once you get ready to lift it, im sure we can get it done.

Right! I'll just try my best not take Big Jim's route! You guys are awesome! I can supply lots of beer, food and music and maybe a little bit of comedy relief. And of course, I'd be wrenching alongside the best of you all!

Metlic53
03-19-2013, 12:38 AM
does the YJ have the 4 banger or 6?

Mudderoy
03-19-2013, 08:55 AM
So get which ever lift "brand" you like but since I was looking up some 4.5" long arm kit for another member, and I have never looked at a YJ lift, I found that RoughCountry has a 4" lift for the YJ

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_yj_4.php for $449.95

What I really found interesting is they have a 5.5" lift for the YJ, drum roll please... $74.95!!! Ding! Ding! Ding!

What's the catch? You have to weld it on. I think I've heard about this long ago but forgot about it. Basically you cut off the spring mounts on the axles and add these, the one's you buy for $75. They are welded to the top of the axle tube giving you 5.5" of lift. Personally I'd rather get the new leaf springs, but I guess you could do both.

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
does the YJ have the 4 banger or 6?

It has the 6 :) Actually, you all should be happy as come to find out when I was repairing the A/C I found out the motor is actually the Cherokee motor. The A/C compressor is different between the two so that was a bit of a PITA! Haha.

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
So get which ever lift "brand" you like but since I was looking up some 4.5" long arm kit for another member, and I have never looked at a YJ lift, I found that RoughCountry has a 4" lift for the YJ

What I really found interesting is they have a 5.5" lift for the YJ, drum roll please... $74.95!!! Ding! Ding! Ding!

What's the catch? You have to weld it on. I think I've heard about this long ago but forgot about it. Basically you cut off the spring mounts on the axles and add these, the one's you buy for $75. They are welded to the top of the axle tube giving you 5.5" of lift. Personally I'd rather get the new leaf springs, but I guess you could do both.

Yep, I am going with the Rough Country 4" lift. Seems to be a great price and value for the lift and several people I've talked to are happy with it :) And, no welding for me! Hahaha!

prcjeep
03-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Tires sell on craigslist around here fairly quickly and youll get a decent price for them too.

prcjeep
03-19-2013, 10:06 AM

The above 5.5" is the plan for Carlyn's 93 YJ. Hopefully soon to be back in action...

Mudderoy
03-19-2013, 10:15 AM
The above 5.5" is the plan for Carlyn's 93 YJ. Hopefully soon to be back in action...

Well for anyone else reading this, the 5.5 lift for $75 is a bit misleading. You still have to deal with the transfer case drop, or SYE. If an SYE you'll need a longer drive shaft. And you'll have to do something about shocks, and where the track bar mounts. So it really isn't a 5.5" lift for less than $100.

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Awesome! You should get her on here or wranglertalk.com!

prcjeep
03-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Well for anyone else reading this, the 5.5 lift for $75 is a bit misleading. You still have to deal with the transfer case drop, or SYE. If an SYE you'll need a longer drive shaft. And you'll have to do something about shocks, and where the track bar mounts. So it really isn't a 5.5" lift for less than $100.

This is correct, She ordered the SYE/DS from RC for 460 shipped, Exteneded brake lines were 63 shipped i think.

Her situation was a little different though. Her rear axle(D35) blew up drive down the street. Tail cone housing on the tcase was cracked too. SO since she had to get a new axle and repair the tcase we went ahead with the upgrades. We're swapping a C8.25LS 29 spline for the rear.

As for the shock mount relocation, we'll look at that as we get everything else welded up.

I should also mention, this Yj has some sort of leaf spring lift on it from one of the PO's. We're not sure what the end height will be yet...

Awesome! You should get her on here or wranglertalk.com!

I've been trying! She "doesn't have time".

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 11:10 AM
I should also mention, this Yj has some sort of leaf spring lift on it from one of the PO's. We're not sure what the end height will be yet...

Mine does, too. It has shackles...I will probably remove those when I install the lift... It looks funny to me but then again I'm a noobie when it comes to this stuff!

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
One of the cheapest ways to lift a YJ is to put the springs on top of the axle. Gives you 5.5". But plan on a SYE, which is a good thing anyway

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 11:19 AM
One of the cheapest ways to lift a YJ is to put the springs on top of the axle. Gives you 5.5". But plan on a SYE, which is a good thing anyway

I think I'm good with just a 4" lift...As I mentioned before where it sits right now it is a bit awkward and I'm pulling myself up. I'm only 5'5" and don't want to have to get a running start to jump into my Jeep! LOL! As clumsy as I am I can just see myself getting hurt lol!

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 11:21 AM
You could become a gymnast and swing in off the cage :D

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
You could become a gymnast and swing in off the cage :D

If only I were flexible...Haha! I could work on my pull ups!

denverd1
03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
cool jeep. but you should get it dirty! then the real fun begins. Just don't try to drive through a lake or over a pile of boulders. you'll be surprised what it will handle bone stock.

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 11:33 AM
cool jeep. but you should get it dirty! then the real fun begins. Just don't try to drive through a lake or over a pile of boulders. you'll be surprised what it will handle bone stock.

Thanks! I do wanna get it a little dirty!

XjJeepacorn
03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
My springs are pretty flat which is why I really want the lift haha. So far I've:

Fixed the A/C - replaced a switch and the compressor
Misc re-wiring in the Jeep - I can't recall everything but someone rewired it and didn't do a very good job of it.
Replaced a perfect working CD player with a CD/MP3 player (that was when I found some crazy wiring issues)
Ripped the carpet out
Removed Chrome Grill Overlay
Painted the chrome bumpers, headlight bezels and the grill grate Hammered black
Replaced the camo seat covers with Jeep logo seat covers
Replaced water pump and thermostat
Cleaned and flushed radiator

As far as I know the Jeep runs great and has a bit of a mystery history to it so it's been fun figuring out the little trials and tribulations that have popped up. I've been pretty happy with it.

Plans:

4" Lift with 33's
Replace Driver/Passenger Seat
Replace the soft top with a new soft top. My hardware doesn't seem to match the BestTop Sunrider top that is on it. Plus I am missing a couple windows!
Install new horn or try to rewire the horn with the aftermarket wheel

Nice looking Jeep :)

Metlic53
03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
you could do that 5.5 for pretty cheap, theres a place in houston that welded my new axle mounts on my dana 30 i ripped off for 80 bucks, im sure they would do yours front and rear for 150. thatd be a deal! all you do is bring in the new brackets

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 12:12 PM
you could do that 5.5 for pretty cheap, theres a place in houston that welded my new axle mounts on my dana 30 i ripped off for 80 bucks, im sure they would do yours front and rear for 150. thatd be a deal! all you do is bring in the new brackets

I like the look of the curved black leaf springs over the look of my flat rusty colored leaf springs I've got now... Plus I'll be getting new shocks and stuff, too. Thanks for the info, though! :D

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice looking Jeep :)

Thank you :D

TimmyTXJ
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Get the lift first. ;)

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Get the lift first. ;)

And just to clarify...I mean waiting to put the lift on until I could put on the bigger tires...So my YJ doesn't look all silly sitting high with little shoes on :)

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Get the lift on first. That will save you from any rubbing issues

prcjeep
03-19-2013, 01:55 PM

Steve, What setup would you suggest for remounting the shocks? Keep stock and flip mounts? new ones? havent thought the shocks part all the way through yet...

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
There is a kit you can get at 4 wheel parts, or probably cheaper through Overrock our newest vendor that has all that stuff you need to do it. The only thing left that no one addresses but me I think is the track bar. Keeps if from having bump steer and death wobble A telescoping one is nice. JCR I think has that. But beyond that in my shop, I would end up flipping the plate and bumpstopping or weld on a new home made mount. Shock length is the critical thing here, and I think you would need new shocks due to length problems anyway. They would be shorter believe it or not if you use the top plate mount

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Get the lift on first. That will save you from any rubbing issues

Yes, I would wait to put on the new tires till after I got the lift :) Just wondering if I should wait to buy the lift when I can also buy the tires at the same time. But as Tony said, it won't look so bad with the lift and keeping my 31's on it till I get the 33's.

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Nah, it won't. I am rolling on an 8" lift and 31s till I can afford the big leap to 38s and all the stuff it takes to do that. No big deal

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Nah, it won't. I am rolling on an 8" lift and 31s till I can afford the big leap to 38s and all the stuff it takes to do that. No big deal

Ok cool! How fun!

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Ok cool! How fun!

Yup, no short people riding with me :sign0181:

Mudderoy
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I think I'm good with just a 4" lift...As I mentioned before where it sits right now it is a bit awkward and I'm pulling myself up. I'm only 5'5" and don't want to have to get a running start to jump into my Jeep! LOL! As clumsy as I am I can just see myself getting hurt lol!

I put 4 RC pull handles on the roll cage. My wife, 5'2" uses them to get in and out.

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I put 4 RC pull handles on the roll cage. My wife, 5'2" uses them to get in and out.

Yeah, I still need to order some!

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2013, 02:25 PM
And just to clarify...I mean waiting to put the lift on until I could put on the bigger tires...So my YJ doesn't look all silly sitting high with little shoes on :)

I know what ya mean. :rolleye0012:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/stormy/2011-06-15221606-2.jpg

I do wanna get it a little dirty!

Just dig a hole in yer yard, fill with water, and leave it in 2wd. That's what i do. :P

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Sweet YJ though. I secretly like the YJs, especially with the 4.0. Just too hard to find and TOO much cash when ya do.

Brasscatz
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
You rode in my Jeep at Creekside and it's lifted on stock tires... Doesn't look bad at all. Once these wear out I'll get bigger tires

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
You rode in my Jeep at Creekside and it's lifted on stock tires... Doesn't look bad at all. Once these wear out I'll get bigger tires

I sure did, Jim! And a blast that was :) You are what has inspired me to even think about taking my Jeep out there :P Your Jeep did awesome!

girlyjen78
03-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Sweet YJ though. I secretly like the YJs, especially with the 4.0. Just too hard to find and TOO much cash when ya do.

Thank you for the compliment! I lucked out on this one...:D

Brasscatz
03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
I sure did, Jim! And a blast that was :) You are what has inspired me to even think about taking my Jeep out there :P Your Jeep did awesome!

Thanks for the compliment! I can almost guarantee that Timmy is a better wheeler than me though. I think he's got more knowledge than I do when it comes to that stuff

TimmyTXJ
03-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the compliment! I can almost guarantee that Timmy is a better wheeler than me though. I think he's got more knowledge than I do when it comes to that stuff

What? Point it that way, look out for pointy things, don't drive off any cliffs? That's the extent of my knowledge!

bluedragon436
03-20-2013, 07:12 AM
What? Point it that way, look out for pointy things, don't drive off any cliffs? That's the extent of my knowledge!

Those are all very good pieces of knowledge to have!!

Brasscatz
03-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Ok, so we're about even then!

4.3LXJ
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM

You have cliffs in Texas? :rolleye0012:

4x4Dalton
03-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Lol if there are I ain't seen them :D

4.3LXJ
03-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Lol if there are I ain't seen them :D

Well, one thing I don't have to worry about when wheeling there then :D

4x4Dalton
03-20-2013, 11:04 AM
I kinda miss wheelin in rock though. In Virginia I had all 3 mud,rock and WTF? Lol

4.3LXJ
03-20-2013, 11:08 AM
I kinda miss wheelin in rock though. In Virginia I had all 3 mud,rock and WTF? Lol

Got lots of WTF here. When we went here I came down real slow. About 2K feet to the bottom in any direction

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Fordyce%20Trails/Signal%20Peak/IMG_1404.jpg

4x4Dalton
03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Brakes don't fail me now

Mudderoy
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM

I don't personally know anyone named "Cliff" here, but I'm sure someone has that name in Texas. :out:

Brasscatz
03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
We've got everything in Texas! Cliffs in big bend national park... But no Huxtables...

girlyjen78
04-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Question on the shackles I have on my Jeep...Will these look ridiculous if I use them with my lift? Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can find some shorter shackles locally?

Mudderoy
04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Question on the shackles I have on my Jeep...Will these look ridiculous if I use them with my lift? Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can find some shorter shackles locally?

Are the shackles not stock? Post up a picture.

http://youtu.be/LB5YkmjalDg

Mudderoy
04-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Okay I just read that stock YJ shackles are 4 inches eye to eye (so center of hole to the center of the opposite side hole).

I also read that AutoZone has 1" to 3" shackle lifts for $40 (no telling how old the post was) so worse case is if you have say a 7 inch shackle you could go buy a set of 5 inch. Of course they may have stock size one's too.

Oh! I can tell, that was way back in 2004.

girlyjen78
04-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Are the shackles not stock? Post up a picture.

http://youtu.be/LB5YkmjalDg

I don't think they are stock..There's a photo in this thread...Can't see that well but they are kinda big shackles...

Mudderoy
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't think they are stock..There's a photo in this thread...Can't see that well but they are kinda big shackles...

I mean it shouldn't hurt anything, although you might have some drive line vibrations since instead of a 4" lift you'll be installing a 4" + the difference in the size of the stock shackle vs. the one's you have.

Hell I saw go for it and worse case you'll have to order a set of shorter shackles. Best case you'll have to use a stool to get in! lol

Oh, just looking at the image of the lift on Amazon. Depending on how much longer those shackles are it may put you out of the range of the shocks. Best to measure the shackles you have (eye to eye) and see how much longer they are than stock. If they are say 6" shackles and your shocks are good for 4 to 6 inches of lift you should be fine. 4" from the RC lift and 2" from the non-stock shackles.

XJ Wheeler
04-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Fyi, shackles give half the amount of lift that they are measurably longer. I.e. Stock shackle 4", Aftermarket shackle 6" = 1" lift.

bigjim350
04-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Ill see if i can find some stock shackles for a yj. You dont want to use the autozone shackles without modding them. They are weak and offer way to much side to side movement. If i find some YJ shackles they will most likely be free, so just see how it looks after you lift it, then decide if ya wanna use em or not.

girlyjen78
04-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the information!!! I'll let you guys know what happens if I can even get that far today!

BigJim - you're so sweet!

OverRockOffRoad
04-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Very nice looking YJ!

I may have missed it but are you talking about the front shackles?

I am doing a spring over and keeping my longer shackles on the front. I had a friend make me 2 sets of shackles and the fronts where 1" 1/2 longer and the rears where 1' longer. I never ended up using the rears because it sat level. So after I lift it I still want that same stance that it has already so I plan to leave the front shackles on.

When I use to install lifts at 4WP I we would always try and sell shackles with the CJ and YJ kits if they did not come with them just so they would sit level after we where done.

girlyjen78
05-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Very nice looking YJ!

I may have missed it but are you talking about the front shackles?

I am doing a spring over and keeping my longer shackles on the front. I had a friend make me 2 sets of shackles and the fronts where 1" 1/2 longer and the rears where 1' longer. I never ended up using the rears because it sat level. So after I lift it I still want that same stance that it has already so I plan to leave the front shackles on.

When I use to install lifts at 4WP I we would always try and sell shackles with the CJ and YJ kits if they did not come with them just so they would sit level after we where done.

Hey thank you for the compliment on my YJ! Yes, I was referring to the front shackles...We measured them and they are 6 inches. I think I will keep them now that I've read your info! Thanks for the help!

TimmyTXJ
05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Well... we're a few steps closer to getting the lift installed. The gas tank is now properly strapped to the skid and all the hoses have been freshly clamped into place. I'll feel much better about her driving the Jeep around now because I don't have to worry about the tank sliding and fuel spraying onto the exhaust & setting the thing on fire. ;)

All the rear U-bolts are free and the axle is loose... the first one turned out to be the only one that really gave us any issues. I cut through it with an abrasive cut off wheel on my little Dremel. There was a lot of potential energy bound up in that one bolt... the two halves went flying like a loaded up spring when the U parted. The leafs are free of the rear shackles but still attached to the frame on the other side. Anyone know where I can get ~3' to 4' of 1" ID chome moly tube? I seriously need a cheater bar!

The good thing about this project (and mine) is that I've got "real" reasons for buying new tools now. My modest garage is growing by leaps and bounds!

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2013, 11:12 PM
I've got pipe i would use for that, the thick stuff. Just need the breaker bar to put it on. :rolleyes:

prcjeep
06-04-2013, 04:22 PM
How's this thing coming along?

TimmyTXJ
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
How's this thing coming along?

We're still rocking and rolling, got a 4ft long piece of pipe and easily broke the remaining stubborn bolts loose. Ran into a slight issue putting the new leafs in though... they don't fit in the shackles! Unfortunately, this project is on hold until we have a chance to get some all thread and a few nuts and washers to spread the shackle tabs apart. Life has been incredibly busy lately (happily so) we haven't had much time for the Jeeps. :(

Thanks for asking! :D

girlyjen78
06-06-2013, 05:15 PM
He got the rear leaf springs on last night :))

4.3LXJ
06-06-2013, 06:43 PM
So is that rear end on the ground?

Mudderoy
06-07-2013, 01:03 AM
He got the rear leaf springs on last night :))

Personally I don't know how you're are standing the wait. It's not even mine and I've been thinking about what's going on with this lift! :rolleye0012:

Oh thanks for the update though. :D

TimmyTXJ
06-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Personally I don't know how you're are standing the wait. It's not even mind and I've been thinking about what's going on with this lift! :rolleye0012:

Yeah, I probably won't win any awards for installation speed. ;) Jenny has been extremely patient and I applaud her for that. I'm pretty confident now that we can get it done if we have one good solid day of work. Of course, I might just be shooting myself in the foot by saying that.

Mudderoy
06-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I probably won't win any awards for installation speed. ;) Jenny has been extremely patient and I applaud her for that. I'm pretty confident now that we can get it done if we have one good solid day of work. Of course, I might just be shooting myself in the foot by saying that.

It's never as easy as you think it will be. I'm just talking about the thrill of ordering, receiving the kit then seeing the result. I have several projects I haven't even started so I'm no benchmark. ;) You're doing fine. Safe and right are better than fast.

TimmyTXJ
06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Safe and right are better than fast.

Amen brother!

girlyjen78
06-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Personally I don't know how you're are standing the wait. It's not even mine and I've been thinking about what's going on with this lift! :rolleye0012:

We've been extemely busy with a lot of things in our lives the past couple of months... So, unfortunately, the Jeep has been on the backburner...But that's ok... it's been for very good reasons (new car, new home for me and a new chapter in our lives). We don't have all that much left on the lift, maybe about a days work. Just wait...as soon as that lift is on I'll be headed to Discount for the 33's and will post pictures :)

Mudderoy
06-12-2013, 09:20 AM
We've been extemely busy with a lot of things in our lives the past couple of months... So, unfortunately, the Jeep has been on the backburner...But that's ok... it's been for very good reasons (new car, new home for me and a new chapter in our lives). We don't have all that much left on the lift, maybe about a days work. Just wait...as soon as that lift is on I'll be headed to Discount for the 33's and will post pictures :)

Sounds like you're just much more mature than I am. :D

TimmyTXJ
06-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Just a quick update... The rear lift is done! The little YJ looks like a Jeep Hot Rod with a vicious rake. :) Lowered the transfer case last night too. Got started on the front but got stymied by the stupid shock. The flats on top of the thread are boogered up and I've got nothing to grab solid hold of the shock body to keep it from spinning while I loosen the top nut. As satisfying as it would be to put the sawzall to it I think I'll use it as an excuse to augment my tool collection and pick up a nice big pipe wrench or a strap wrench. Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel, hopefully I can stay motivated and "Git R Done!"

4.3LXJ
06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
I just did that yesterday on Project TJ Resurrection. I used a giant pair of channel lock pliers. They come in handy for oil filters, shocks and stuff

XJ Wheeler
06-18-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm not completely sure on the yjs but it looks similar to the xj. I usually use some padded jaw vise grips on the shaft to hold it tight. You could probably wrap some tape around the jaws of a set of vise grips for a cheap fix.

Mudderoy
06-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't there a flat portion of the shaft sticking up that you can put a crescent wrench on and then a use a box end to break loose the nut?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8440/7868273902_e1be19b50e_b.jpg

Ahhh okay, went back and re-read it "The flats on top of the thread are boogered up"

TimmyTXJ
06-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Big A$$ Channel Locks in hand, those suckers are coming out! I LOVE new tools. :D

TimmyTXJ
06-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Oh boy... another pitman arm to contend with. Fingers crossed this one comes out easier than the last one!

Mudderoy
06-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Oh boy... another pitman arm to contend with. Fingers crossed this one comes out easier than the last one!

Don't show any fear! They can sense it! :bang:

TimmyTXJ
07-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Well folks... it's done! (The lift anyway, cause when is a Jeep ever REALLY done?) We took the ex-little Jeep out this morning for a test drive and other than a pesky 2nd gear pop-out everything seems to be working well. Below are a couple pics of the finished project. I'll leave it toJen to upload more if y'all want her to. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/girlyjen78/IMG_6585.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/girlyjen78/media/IMG_6585.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/girlyjen78/null.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/girlyjen78/media/null.jpg.html)

:)

Mudderoy
07-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Well folks... it's done! (The lift anyway, cause when is a Jeep ever REALLY done?) We took the ex-little Jeep out this morning for a test drive and other than a pesky 2nd gear pop-out everything seems to be working well. Below are a couple pics of the finished project. I'll leave it toJen to upload more if y'all want her to. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/girlyjen78/IMG_6585.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/girlyjen78/media/IMG_6585.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/girlyjen78/null.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/girlyjen78/media/null.jpg.html)

That was a great idea for the before and after pictures. It's often very difficult to tell in a picture what a difference a lift makes.

Also anxious to hear the your/Jen's thoughts on how it drives, rides, etc... Generally how does it feel? :popcorn:

Brasscatz
07-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Lookin' good! Almost time for a wheelin' trip???

4.3LXJ
07-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah baby, she can hide behind it now

XJ Wheeler
07-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Much better! :D Enjoying the new altitude?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

TimmyTXJ
07-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Much better! :D Enjoying the new altitude?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Based on the ear to ear grin she was sportin' I'd say yes. :) The ride is much improved over the worn out stock system, the ex-little jeep has a spring in it's step again!

The only little "gotcha" that I can see in this lift is that now the Jeep refuses to stay in 2nd gear. (The shifter keeps popping out) I figure the trans must've shifted a little bit when I installed the transfer case drop. I'll need to take a look at adjusting the shifter stops unless anyone has other suggestions as to what it might be.

I'd have to say that installing this lift has been a lot of work (probably some of it unnecessary). Overall though, the end result more than makes up for the time put in.

For anyone reading this... this is also proof that a lift kit can be installed by one guy, with limited Jeep experience, in a one car garage space, with nothing more than hand tools and determination. So stop making excuses to yourself and lift that Jeep (you KNOW you want to!)

Mudderoy
07-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Based on the ear to ear grin she was sportin' I'd say yes. :) The ride is much improved over the worn out stock system, the ex-little jeep has a spring in it's step again!

The only little "gotcha" that I can see in this lift is that now the Jeep refuses to stay in 2nd gear. (The shifter keeps popping out) I figure the trans must've shifted a little bit when I installed the transfer case drop. I'll need to take a look at adjusting the shifter stops unless anyone has other suggestions as to what it might be.

I'd have to say that installing this lift has been a lot of work (probably some of it unnecessary). Overall though, the end result more than makes up for the time put in.

For anyone reading this... this is also proof that a lift kit can be installed by one guy, with limited Jeep experience, in a one car garage space, with nothing more than hand tools and determination. So stop making excuses to yourself and lift that Jeep (you KNOW you want to!)

I can't recall, is it an auto or a standard? If it's a standard and like my wife's TJ the console has to be moved. It should be pretty apparent that the shifter is hitting the console. If that's not happening you probably need to move the linkage bracket around a little bit. I remember my auto was pretty tight and the mechanic that did my lift bent the bracket to reduce the strain on the cable.

4.3LXJ
07-22-2013, 09:37 AM
You probably have an interference with the shifter caused by hitting sheet metal or the console. Might take some customization

TimmyTXJ
07-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. We'll take the shift boot off and investigate if the shifter is hitting sheet metal (there's no console to contend with). It's possible this little problem could easily be solved with the judicious use of a cutoff wheel.

Mudderoy
07-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. We'll take the shift boot off and investigate if the shifter is hitting sheet metal (there's no console to contend with). It's possible this little problem could easily be solved with the judicious use of a cutoff wheel.

Exactly! ;)

girlyjen78
08-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Tires tomorrow!!!

TimmyTXJ
08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Tires tomorrow!!!

How about tires today? :)

Mudderoy
08-02-2013, 01:39 PM
How about tires today? :)

I like the way you think!

girlyjen78
08-03-2013, 09:01 AM
3281Before pic! Getting the new tires installed as we speak (or type)!

girlyjen78
08-04-2013, 07:41 PM
New shoes and a sticker installed!

4.3LXJ
08-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Very nice Jen

girlyjen78
08-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Very nice Jen

Thank you :)

4.3LXJ
08-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Yup, looks likes it meanz business

TimmyTXJ
08-05-2013, 06:20 AM
the new tires look awesome babe! Your YJ has come a long way! :)

OverRockOffRoad
08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Wow it looks awesome!!

You can do a lot of stuff to change the look and performance, but a nice set of wheels and tires always make a big difference.

girlyjen78
08-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Yup, looks likes it meanz business

Hehe! Kinda what I'm going after! I want that badass aggressive look (and sound)!

girlyjen78
08-06-2013, 08:48 PM
the new tires look awesome babe! Your YJ has come a long way! :)

Thanks to you, babe! Couldn't have done it without you!

girlyjen78
08-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Wow it looks awesome!!

You can do a lot of stuff to change the look and performance, but a nice set of wheels and tires always make a big difference.

Yes! It's been a great run so far in the year that I've had it! I think I'm going to take a little break with the spending (other than a few small ticket items here and there) and just enjoy it for a bit :)

xjmcb1
06-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Here are a couple of pics of my 87,been together 27 years now.http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/nbacon/7b90c86b.jpg (http://s948.photobucket.com/user/nbacon/media/7b90c86b.jpg.html)http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/nbacon/scan0012.jpg (http://s948.photobucket.com/user/nbacon/media/scan0012.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
06-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Here are a couple of pics of my 87,been together 27 years now.http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/nbacon/7b90c86b.jpg (http://s948.photobucket.com/user/nbacon/media/7b90c86b.jpg.html)http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/nbacon/scan0012.jpg (http://s948.photobucket.com/user/nbacon/media/scan0012.jpg.html)

That is a clean looking YJ right there... Even nice to see that it's been with it's original owner that long!!

xjmcb1
06-16-2014, 01:46 PM
That little girl on the front is now 23 and still loves being in the jeep.

bluedragon436
06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Is she going to be the "new" owner of said Jeep??

xjmcb1
06-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Her and her sister are still trying to decide who gets what Jeep.

TimmyTXJ
06-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Very nice!

bluedragon436
06-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Her and her sister are still trying to decide who gets what Jeep.

I hard decision I wish I had!!! I'd just be happy to have a Jeep that has been in the family for a bit, and had some family time in!!