PDA

View Full Version : 87 Cherokee ... IT HAS LIFE!!!!

Dude13450
03-17-2013, 07:51 PM
It's official, I now own a Jeep Cherokee XJ, an '87 Laredo 4dr 4x4 4.0L to be exact. Boy that was a lot of fours! HAHA

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t384/1986Civie/87%20Cherokee%20Laredo/DSC_0003_zps45c9440e.jpg

Here's what went down:

The guy I got it from said it wasn't receiving spark, alright that I can handle - and handle it I DID!!! I had my friend tow it to my house, where I turned it over several dozen times, and it was then I noticed a burning smell - turns out it was still getting spark, he just had the firing order wrong from when he changed the dist. cap and rotor!!! I rearranged the plugs to the correct order on the cap, and BOOM! Quite literally boom: started right up.

Then I realized it had one very harsh mechanical ticking/tapping. I opened the hood, pulled the throttle linkage while looking around, turns out it had a broken radiator shroud! Removed that, and it's perfect!

I love when a project isn't really a project, don't you? I love it even more, when this project comes to a very quick finish for FREE!! I traded my '84 Toyota Truck for it, the only actual expense I have is the fact I need to pay my friend back for the UHaul car dolly rental.

_____

So here's my question now: what are some good-looking cosmetic mods? I would mod the engine, but I heard aside from making it force-inducted (turbo/supercharger) there's not much you can do to get a noticeable performance gain. I would put a lift kit on it, but way to much money for my current budget (I have about $70/mo. to put toward this), and I want to keep this relatively low for economy purposes (I know I should go for something other than a jeep if I want economy, but I love these Jeeps, and want one to be at least somewhat economical - I can live with 14-16, but 10-12 is a bit too low).

I will be putting a cold air intake on it, just because they look f-ing sweet IMO, and maybe add a little color to the valve cover? Do these look good with painted valve covers or should I keep the stock gray/black?

I also want to put a Flowmaster 40 on it, because they sound pretty sweet on these 4.0s, but the stock muffler (I assume it's stock) doesn't sound too bad itself.

4x4Dalton
03-17-2013, 09:06 PM
http://youtu.be/bPmVhyHBRAM

XJ Wheeler
03-18-2013, 03:02 AM
Glad it worked out for ya. And yes its nice when a project goes well like that.

Mudderoy
03-18-2013, 07:00 AM
It's official, I now own a Jeep Cherokee XJ, an '87 Laredo 4dr 4x4 4.0L to be exact. Boy that was a lot of fours! HAHA

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t384/1986Civie/87%20Cherokee%20Laredo/DSC_0003_zps45c9440e.jpg

Here's what went down:

The guy I got it from said it wasn't receiving spark, alright that I can handle - and handle it I DID!!! I had my friend tow it to my house, where I turned it over several dozen times, and it was then I noticed a burning smell - turns out it was still getting spark, he just had the firing order wrong from when he changed the dist. cap and rotor!!! I rearranged the plugs to the correct order on the cap, and BOOM! Quite literally boom: started right up.

Then I realized it had one very harsh mechanical ticking/tapping. I opened the hood, pulled the throttle linkage while looking around, turns out it had a broken radiator shroud! Removed that, and it's perfect!

I love when a project isn't really a project, don't you? I love it even more, when this project comes to a very quick finish for FREE!! I traded my '84 Toyota Truck for it, the only actual expense I have is the fact I need to pay my friend back for the UHaul car dolly rental.

_____

So here's my question now: what are some good-looking cosmetic mods? I would mod the engine, but I heard aside from making it force-inducted (turbo/supercharger) there's not much you can do to get a noticeable performance gain. I would put a lift kit on it, but way to much money for my current budget (I have about $70/mo. to put toward this), and I want to keep this relatively low for economy purposes (I know I should go for something other than a jeep if I want economy, but I love these Jeeps, and want one to be at least somewhat economical - I can live with 14-16, but 10-12 is a bit too low).

I will be putting a cold air intake on it, just because they look f-ing sweet IMO, and maybe add a little color to the valve cover? Do these look good with painted valve covers or should I keep the stock gray/black?

I also want to put a Flowmaster 40 on it, because they sound pretty sweet on these 4.0s, but the stock muffler (I assume it's stock) doesn't sound too bad itself.

Congrats! First thing to fix, replace the radiator shroud. For gas mileage, well get more air in and more exhaust out, and forget where the skinny pedal is.

4x4Dalton
03-18-2013, 12:41 PM
You can do a 4 1/2 inch junk yard lift on it and it won't cost ya that much. I have a thread on here on what to look for to lift it. Ill have to see if I can find it for ya.

4x4Dalton
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Here it is
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646

zz top
03-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Killer looking Jeep! I sure do miss my 87... :bang:

Good luck with it, and remember, as long as you're happy with it, that is all that matters!