PDA

View Full Version : Your XJ

Melissa
04-06-2009, 01:02 AM
When did you buy your xj, what did you buy it for, what do you use it for now, and how many have you had?

I bought my jeep in August 2003, I have always wanted a jeep but never got one.

I bought my jeep to haul my kids around and I sure did not want the normal soccer mom van.

I use my jeep today for everything, from hauling my girls, to hauling hay trailers, Most of the time I love just to take my jeep out on the back roads around where I live and drive.

This is the first jeep that I have ever owned, and I will always from now on own one.

Funny thing I was down at the Oregon coast this past week and I found a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Lardo for sale and right now I am trying to work out a deal for that one. I think I might have a sickness:thumbsup:

muddeprived
04-06-2009, 02:00 AM
I bought my xj last year. I traded this:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF4422.jpg

for this:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/DSCF4850.jpg

I bought it strictly for fun and driving around. I needed more cargo space and more oomph since my 2.5L wasn't really doing it for me. Since the jeep was stock, it wasn't really up for what i wanted it to do some i glued a few parts on and now it's ready:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/mtz/DSCF5799.jpg

I've had three jeeps, the TJ, the XJ, and the mini-JK shown in the first picture. I followed the jeep rule with all three: lifted, locked, and abused well.

Melissa
04-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I love your little mini Jk, that is so cute!!!!

Mudderoy
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
I have gone to buy 3 Jeeps in my life.

The first time when I was 21/22. I priced a Jeep Wrangler. The insurance was too high.

The second time was also a Wrangler. The price was good, the insurance was fine (I was 37). I went and got my wife to look at it.

While looking at it we saw a bright red Jeep Cherokee. The payments were about $25 more a month, plus it had more room for our two girls that were 3 and 4 years old, at the time.

We had both wanted a Wrangler since we were young adults, but I told my wife we could keep the XJ until the girls were older and then get a Wrangler.

She agreed and we got the XJ. That was back in 1998.

We still don't have a Wrangler.

firehawk
04-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I bought mine in August of '06. I needed/wanted a vehicle to haul deer out of cornfields, or the woods. I always liked the Jeep Cherokee, but never found one I felt I could afford at the time until I found this one. I had a nice '96 Dakota 2WD, but it would get stuck on wet grass.:mad0090:

I started out with a BB lift...THAT didn't last long.:D I went with Rusty's 3" lift which gave me 4" on the rear so I added a spacer up front to level the Jeep out. Then came the MT's, the beefier steering/suspension parts, skid plates, bumpers, exhaust, HP front axle, and now the winch set up.:smiley-scared002: Sumbody STOP me....:eek:

It isn't the tallest lift around, which I don't need, but it is beefed up where it counts and I can go anyplace I need/want to go.:thumbsup: And it get's me to work every morning.

BlueXJ
04-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Back in H.S. I had a 46 CJ2A and that was my DD or my Motorcycle. Jeep had no top so one was as bad as the other in the winter. Later had a CJ5 as a young father right out of the Navy. Later had a CJ7 that was a hot rod. Later I got away from Jeeps and just had pick-ups, still 4WD but not Jeeps. About 10 years ago I decided I was needing something to haul groceries in and found my 90 XJ. Later when my grand-daughter was born I used it to haul her when she came to visit. My daughter liked it so I started looking for one for her. Found a 92 and got it and fixed it up and gave it to her.
My buddy that I hunted with at about 2002 had a 2WD 96 that he wanted to sell so I bought it and went junkyard visiting until I had the needed parts to convert it to 4WD. I did the conversion in a single weekend with his help. We used that Jeep as our hunting rig for about 3-4 years. When I moved cross country he wanted to buy it back so I sold it to him. I now still have my 90 and that is the extent of my Jeep ownership AFAICR(as far as I can remember).

Mudderoy
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Back in H.S. I had a 46 CJ2A and that was my DD or my Motorcycle. Jeep had no top so one was as bad as the other in the winter. Later had a CJ5 as a young father right out of the Navy. Later had a CJ7 that was a hot rod. Later I got away from Jeeps and just had pick-ups, still 4WD but not Jeeps. About 10 years ago I decided I was needing something to haul groceries in and found my 90 XJ. Later when my grand-daughter was born I used it to haul her when she came to visit. My daughter liked it so I started looking for one for her. Found a 92 and got it and fixed it up and gave it to her.
My buddy that I hunted with at about 2002 had a 2WD 96 that he wanted to sell so I bought it and went junkyard visiting until I had the needed parts to convert it to 4WD. I did the conversion in a single weekend with his help. We used that Jeep as our hunting rig for about 3-4 years. When I moved cross country he wanted to buy it back so I sold it to him. I now still have my 90 and that is the extent of my Jeep ownership AFAICR(as far as I can remember).

There are a lot of 2wd XJ around here. How much and how difficult was it to convert? Front end diff, transfer case, and did you have to change out the transmission? Different rear drive shaft, or the same?

:sign0101:

xjjeepthing
04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Bought mine Oct of 05, needed more room for the family and something to hunt with. No room in my Ranger. 3 lifts, 3 sets of tires,racks lights and lots of money I'm addicted

JeepXJ.com
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I bought my XJ brand new...man it has been a long time. First few years rocked. then after the years went on, it became my second ride. Around 2000 I finally got my first lift kit on. Bigger tires... woohoo. Threw more lift on, bigger tires...more woohoo. Then it became my sole ride for a few years. And now, its back to a second ride. what a life. hopefully i can get classic plates soon. maybe...its sure is a classic to me.

XJMikey
04-13-2014, 12:19 AM
I bought it 7/17/12 @ 8.43am
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/OffRoadJunkie_photos/My%20XJ/00XJSport-2.jpg

I bought it to replace my POS '02 Escape, and to finally enjoy owning a jeep again.

It's used for everything and anything I can do with it, but mostly when I work weekends, "extreme" weather, and trail riding.

I have owned 1 XJ, and 1 YJ.
My '93 YJ was my first jeep. I bought it 2/07, abused it for 2 years and killed it when I body slammed a boulder.
My '00 XJ is my current nightmare. It's had problems from day 1, and I've learned how to fix 95% of everything on/in it.

As of 3/2/14
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/OffRoadJunkie_photos/My%20XJ/IMG_20140304_164548.jpg

gary63
04-13-2014, 09:40 AM
I have a 2000 got it about 5 years ago need more room just had a daughter and want something for getting though the snow and always wanted one.we use it for everything. I also have a 1960 willy that is all the jeeps but I have a 74 Dodge power and looking for another XJ.

cpttuna
04-13-2014, 03:27 PM
I have purchased a grand total of 8 XJ's(87,92,95,98,99,00 01 and 01). The first was the 87 back in 1998 for my son who was 16 at the time. The cost was $1500. That is the least I have spent for one. The most was $10,500 back in 2004 for my wife's 01. The most recent was the 98 for $1800 in August 2013. The 87 and 95 were totaled in wrecks and the 92 went to XJ heaven. The rest are still in use. The 3 youngest kids all drive one as well as my wife and I.

gary63
04-13-2014, 03:37 PM
no wander I can't find another XJ you have them all lol:bang:
will at lease they have good homes.