PDA

View Full Version : Just starting on an '89

Infidel Edition
03-13-2013, 09:42 PM
So I bought an '89 for $600.
4.0 / 5 speed with Dana 35 (I think)
Mostly stock. The guy put a tree branch through the grill and replaced the radiator. But not the AC rad or the 2nd'ary fan.
The 'part time' light is perm on / so I think he didn't fix the vacuum line. It idles a little rough and tested rich on emissions.
I did the standard oil/plugs/wires/fluids...
There were 3 brands of plugs with 2 different gaps that I pulled out. The rotor looked like one of those magnetic hair toys when I was a kid. But black!
Also did the rear diff oil as there was 1 - 3 clanks in 1st depending on how much gas I gave it.
New synthetic w/ no slip add ~ and the clank is gone.

I ordered a set of reverb EV6 fuel injectors (4 hole) on eBay for $60. I'm also going to swap out the mechanical fan for an electric.
Then, down the road, I want to swap the throttle bod for an early 90's and do some exhaust upgrades.

Gonna pull the carpet and bed line the inside...
...as well as the outside.
But again - that's down the road. For now, just gotta get to legal.

4.3LXJ
03-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Welcome Dave. Sounds like the PO didn't take very good care of it. But sounds like you are on the right track

XJ Wheeler
03-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Good start. Hope all goes well from here.

TimmyTXJ
03-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Welcome to the site Dave!
Basic maintenance is a necessity! Like Steve said, the PO obviously didn't understand that. I bet that Jeep is happy it's got an owner that cares!

Infidel Edition
03-14-2013, 02:11 PM
I have a 300+ mile drive for drill this weekend.
hate to do that before I get the vacuum line figured out ~ but it'll give me a base MPG to go with.
Then when I start doing the upgrades... I can measure the value added'ness of each.
** will be gone till Apr 9th / 10th... so I'll be post free for a bit.