PDA

View Full Version : Gauge wire

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
what gauge wire should i run to the second battery i have in back behind the seat. The battery is not islolated should it be? Have a fused (with a 50 amp) 6 gauge wire charging the second battery sure i want bigger. Right now the winch cables go to the front battery dont think it would be a good idea to run cables all the way to the rear battery for a warn power plant winch draws about 60 amps when in use. want to be able to use in a camping situation if that determines how i run the setup . any thoughts

NW99XJ
03-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Yea....the battery needs to be isolated. ESPECIALLY if they are not identical batteries. (i dont know if they are or not, just saying)

I covered this very same subject recently in an episode of "electrical & Audio Tips" on the podcast. I would highly recommend going back and checking that out.
Episode 65 (http://www.xjtalkshow.com/index.php/2013/01/episode-65-xj-talk-show-january-27th-2013/)
6awg, is really pushing it.....
I would say you need 4awg for that run. Unless that battery is behind the REAR seat, then go 2awg.
Running the winch off of the closest battery is still a good idea, but in this case, I would never do it without the engine running.
The isolator is going to help you out for the "camping" aspect of things.
So that when the ignition is OFF the batteries are not connected, and you can drain the second battery to your hearts content.
(just make sure that lighting, inverters, stereo, etc...whatever you're going to run with the ignition off....is powered by the second battery only.)
When the ignition is ON, the batteries are connected, and you can safely start the vehicle, and charge both batteries.
If the batteries are not matched, meaning they are not the same brand, group size, etc...then I would strongly recommend a digital isolator.
This will protect your alternator, and voltage regulator from the different impedances (resistance/load) of the two batteries.

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 05:44 PM
ok i will check it out they are different one is a ac delco normal battery the other is a die hard platinum marine battery i have the battery wired in as a temp thing so it did not go bad while i get the supplys together. The six gauge was already installed from po to run his system

4.3LXJ
03-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Personally I ran 00 stranded copper from the rear to the front

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
i did have a local battery shop take a look said what i have now would do a almost as a supplement i did get 13 volts back to the battery and we put on a 40 amp load to the rear battery. I want to do it right

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 08:26 PM
listened to the podcast and looking at supply now everything i see says dont mix batterys is it not a good idea for to have a marine deep cycle in the back and a regular battery under the hood this is what i have found will this work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-AMP-Battery-Isolator-guard-RV-Truck-USA-made-NOCO-/370745017320?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56522003e8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-FT-PREMIUM-0-GAUGE-RED-POWER-WIRE-GROUND-CABLE-1-0-AWG-CAR-AUDIO-WIRING-/271164361170?pt=US_Car_Audio_Power_Speaker_Wire&hash=item3f22a7c9d2

4.3LXJ
03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Cable looks good to me. However if the isolator can only handle 200 amps, that will not be enough for a winch like yours that can pull a sustained 800 amps on a hard pull

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 08:41 PM
ok i thought i was matching the alt output think that was 180 amp

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 08:43 PM
dont know if it makes a difference but the winch will be running off the front battery so i dont have the cable going all the way to the back and when i get more cash i guess by a better battery under the hood

4.3LXJ
03-04-2013, 09:27 PM
If you won't run the winch off it, then not a big deal then.

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
just think it would way to much to run all the cable to the back and just get a platinum to match under the hood should i get this isolator and would a smaller one work and maybe two gauge wire. really this battery is just there i had it already and wanted to put it to use nothing is hooked to it at the moment. think it would be cool to have a plug in cooler i have whenever i finally get to take it camping. just want to make sure nothing happens like before winching jeep dies and i was dead in the mud pit

4.3LXJ
03-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Why not, I run one. Very nice. Here is mine, always accessible for lunch and cold drinks

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Fordyce%20Trails/Carlyle%20Road/IMG_1440.jpg

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 09:59 PM
so do you see a problem with me running a marine battery (agm) and regular battery some are concerned about that in my local club page

4.3LXJ
03-04-2013, 10:08 PM
No. I think what is critical is running the same type of battery. For instance, in the cab area you should run a gel type so you won't get sulfate fumes in the cab area. (makes sulphuric acid in your lungs) If you do that, you should have a gel type in the front too. They have different resistance than lead acid batteries. Also, gel types don't get hot when under heavy charge or discharge

01xjcny
03-04-2013, 10:15 PM
the marine battery is the agm advanced glass mat so it is neither gel or acid the one under the hood is just a regular acid battery

4.3LXJ
03-04-2013, 11:03 PM
I am not familiar with those