PDA

View Full Version : Trouble code on odometer instead of mileage

texcuda
09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Anyone else ever seen this before? It says "no bu5". It happens when my gas is not reading. I was thinking my sending unit was out for the gas gauge but now i'm not so sure. Also the headlights won't turn off if the key is off. I have to turn the key back on and the headlights will auto-shutoff immmediately. Thanks :confused:

Mudderoy
09-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Anyone else ever seen this before? It says "no bu5". It happens when my gas is not reading. I was thinking my sending unit was out for the gas gauge but now i'm not so sure. Also the headlights won't turn off if the key is off. I have to turn the key back on and the headlights will auto-shutoff immmediately. Thanks :confused:

The communications to the ECM has gone bye bye, at least that is what I have read. It could be the computer died, or more likely it's just a bad connection between the instrument cluster and the computer (ECM).

Have you tried hitting the dash just above the cluster? Sounds "red neck" I know but if the NO BUS goes away you know it probably isn't the ECM.

texcuda
09-03-2009, 07:17 PM
yeah it's very intermittent...... My gas gauge had been messing up for a while so I was thinking my sending unit had died but after lots more research, this appears to be a common MOPAR problem around the 2000 model year. Most research has turned up faulty connectors between dash/gauge panel. I'll let ya'll know more when I get it tore apart this week. :driving:

Mudderoy
09-03-2009, 07:23 PM
yeah it's very intermittent...... My gas gauge had been messing up for a while so I was thinking my sending unit had died but after lots more research, this appears to be a common MOPAR problem around the 2000 model year. Most research has turned up faulty connectors between dash/gauge panel. I'll let ya'll know more when I get it tore apart this week. :driving:

When it gets really cold out, say 40 :smiley-laughing021: all my gauages will drop to zero. I tap on the dash and they run again for a long while.

texcuda
09-04-2009, 02:13 PM
When it gets really cold out, say 40 :smiley-laughing021: all my gauages will drop to zero. I tap on the dash and they run again for a long while.

Cold?.....what is this cold you speak of? :D

Stavi
09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
My jeep just recently started giving me that same error code, while i was driving my tac and speedo would both be reading 0 but i was still doing 65 lol. I read that it might be a loose/dirty conecction between my computer and cluster so i took it all apart cleaned all the conections and no more error code hopin that fixed the issue. I used a can of compressed air to blow out the plugs and alittle die electric grease in each plug. hope that helps.

texcuda
09-04-2009, 08:02 PM
pretty much my plan exactly, hopefully sunday I can get a little time to tear it apart.

muddeprived
09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
I had this same problem on the TJ. Pounding on the dash fixed it....temporarily.