PDA

View Full Version : Front inner axle seals

96 cherokee
09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
I just replaced my front axle u joints now its leaking gear lube out the tubes the inner axle seals i guess would need to be replaced??? And if so you have to pull the pig out to replace correct??? Any help would be very appreciated.

96xj
09-02-2009, 10:34 PM
did you over fill the gear oil ?? if so just let it drain or suck some out

Mudderoy
09-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I just replaced my front axle u joints now its leaking gear lube out the tubes the inner axle seals i guess would need to be replaced??? And if so you have to pull the pig out to replace correct??? Any help would be very appreciated.

I guess it is possible. I changed mine around 110k and had some fluid come out, but I mean there was a big hole there without the axle in. I just cleaned it up and once everything was back in and level it all but stopped.

I mean if the level in the pumpkin is too low then you do have a leak.

Someone correct me here, but I do believe you have to remove the carrier, and if it is a D30 that means the shims as well. I mean I guess you could be real careful and keep the shims together and put them back the same way, but without checking the setup you could risk damaging the gears, etc...

firehawk
09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I had the same problem after they rebuilt my LP front diff...for the THIRD time.:mad0090: Apparently they nicked the seal with the axle shaft when they pulled it, or when they reinstalled it. It would leak/seep out the rightside axle tube onto the knuckle. Of course seals/gaskets were NOT warranted.:mad0090:

Of course the problem went away when I pulled the LP axle and bolted in the HP axle.:thumbsup: The HP axle was out of a '96 with 135,000 miles on it. It runs/drives fine, and has no leaks.

FYI, the dealer told me that 30,000 miles on a Dana 30 is pretty good with no rebuild.:smiley-laughing021: I basicly told him he was full of s**t, and that I was born at night, but not last night!

Mudderoy
09-03-2009, 04:16 PM
I had the same problem after they rebuilt my LP front diff...for the THIRD time.:mad0090: Apparently they nicked the seal with the axle shaft when they pulled it, or when they reinstalled it. It would leak/seep out the rightside axle tube onto the knuckle. Of course seals/gaskets were NOT warranted.:mad0090:

Of course the problem went away when I pulled the LP axle and bolted in the HP axle.:thumbsup: The HP axle was out of a '96 with 135,000 miles on it. It runs/drives fine, and has no leaks.

FYI, the dealer told me that 30,000 miles on a Dana 30 is pretty good with no rebuild.:smiley-laughing021: I basicly told him he was full of s**t, and that I was born at night, but not last night!

Really? I've had to replace my Dana 30 4.25 times now! :smiley-laughing021:

muddeprived
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
The carrier has to come out to remove the seals.

Read up on this. Different axle but same procedure.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/axleseal.php

When reinserting the axle shafts, you have to keep the shaft balanced and off the axle tube so it goes in right instead of dragging against the seal. When it drags, it also shoves in dirt and debris that's on the bottom of the tube, and this can chew up the seal, which happened to me:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/pixofhillclimbandcat028.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/pixofhillclimbandcat030.jpg

:thumbdown:

96 cherokee
09-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks that what i was looking for. I dont think its over full im going to replace the seals