PDA

View Full Version : Trans Cooler flow direction

msmoorenburg
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
So I needed to know the Trans cooler flow to install a aftermarket cooler. I would hate to install a cooler just to heat the oil back up. So here is the info :rolleyes:

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/sellitx/aw4cooler_zps8ecf52a2.jpg

4.3LXJ
02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
It would seem to me that the oil goes in the bottom and out the top, intuitively at least.

Joliet Johnny
02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
It would seem to me that the oil goes in the bottom and out the top, intuitively at least.

That is how I hooked up mine and I havnt had any issues so that must be right?

Carves
02-07-2013, 05:26 PM

That is how I hooked up mine and I havnt had any issues so that must be right?

Personally, I dont think it matters a hoot ... whether the oil enters the bottom of the cooler ... or the top.

I think the idea of - Inlet at the bottom ... has, over time, probably become an internet belief ... a bit like the massive HP gains from throttle body spacers, and electric instead of clutchfans .. ;);)

... specially since all the factory, tranny oil line pics - show the top connections - as the inlet.

heck ... Ive even got my aftermarket, stacked plate cooler, hooked up with inlet and outlet at the bottom ... despite all the naysayers and trapped airbubbles at the top, stories.

If you're keeping the in-tank radiator, heat exchanger tho ... for whatever reason you decide ... It gets the oil first - as the pic above shows.

XJ Wheeler
02-07-2013, 09:01 PM
My mind thinks of it like this.

Routing the cooler before the radiator, means lower trans fluid temps going into the radiator. Which would be less to drive up the overall temp of the radiator itself, thus lower coolant temps. This seems like it could also raise trans fluid temps that have already cooled by going through a hot radiator after the cooler.

Routing it after, would have lower incoming temps for the cooler itself because the fluid already traveled through the radiator. And most likely have lower trans fluid temps, with no effect on the radiator temp.