PDA

View Full Version : trans swap

lowrider
08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
How hard would it be to swap from a 5speed to an auto?

NRT_1719
08-31-2009, 11:42 PM
you will need a new CPU, and maybe a wiring harness and maybe even an adapter to mount your trans to the motor.

lowrider
09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
i thought they had the same bell housing on the 4.0 I6. i'll look in to it and see. thanks

BlueXJ
09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Well I have done two that were both Renix. You need the TCU, wiring harness, TPS, tranny. flexplate and shifter mechanism for the floor console. In some models after the Renix I think the crossmember is also different.

If you do the swap I need your manual tranny and bellhousing.

4.3LXJ
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Another item you will need is nuts in the frame. The AW4 is longer than the 5 speed. Some models have the nuts in the frame, some don't. Don't forget the single brake pedal. Also you will need a tranny cooler. You can add one or change to a radiator with one in it, and lines in between of course.

Jeep88
10-22-2009, 06:40 AM
You need the torque convener and the wiring also the computer to do the swap i was going to do the same but found out need all this and any ways the 5 speed is better the aw4 trans if you are going to use that trans

Jeep88
10-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Love my 5 speed never go back to auto

lowrider
11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
i dont to switch to an auto but i messed my shoulder up about 7 yrs. ago and now im havin problems with it. hard to shift at times thats why i was thinkin about doing the swap

AJ99
11-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I just did mine about 2 months ago. If you can read a wiring diagram there are like 12 or 14 wires to wire the tranny computer in not too hard. As far as the swap it is probably easier to get the entire wiring harness from the exact year of yours along with all of the transmission stuff, tranny, torque converter, tranny cpu, drive lines (i was able to keep my rear but the front was too short), tranny cooler, and tranny mount! I was lucky with mine i had the nutstrip already.

Also if you get the same year transmission look at your factory wiring harness to see if you have two plugs by where the fluid check is at. If you do then it may be easier to just splice in the computer wiring. As for tranny cooler what i did was use my a/c condenser as mine. I have never had my a/c working since i bought it and plan on making it to OBA so i figured it would keep the trans a lot cooler than a smaller one.

AJ99
11-11-2009, 05:17 PM
You need the torque convener and the wiring also the computer to do the swap i was going to do the same but found out need all this and any ways the 5 speed is better the aw4 trans if you are going to use that trans

which 5 speed do you have? i had the pugot which is a bomb waiting to go off!

lowrider
11-12-2009, 06:39 AM
i think mine is the ax-15. cause to change the shifter bushing you have to change the whole shifter. the only other bad thing is that jeep dont make the ax-15 shifter anymore