PDA

View Full Version : 98' xj

TripleZero
02-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Here's a few pics of my 98' I picked up last month. Pretty much stock for now. Some type of build planned for the near future.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Tripl3Zer0/xj4_zps15e6c96c.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Tripl3Zer0/xj3_zps6533c964.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Tripl3Zer0/xj2_zpsb06e832f.jpg

Pic of co-workers 96' he bought recently. Will be another build project I am most likely going to be working on also very soon.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Tripl3Zer0/96-1_zpscc4a3ba1.jpg

Brasscatz
02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Nice lookin Jeeps you got there! Can't wait to see them grow! Welcome to xjTalk from Houston!

XJ Wheeler
02-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Two very nice examples. Love the color on yours, i guess white is... okay. :D Feel free to start a build thread for both if you want, to chronicle all your efforts.

TripleZero
02-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys. The color of mine as far as the VIN, is supposed the be gunmetal pearl, though it looks more blue to me.

I will definitely start up some build threads. Mine will probably be an ongoing project throughout the year though. Lot's of stuff I would like to do.

The 96' that my co-worker owns will be getting some work done before mine more than likely. He's not planning anything major. Maybe 2-3" of lift and some other minor upgrades.

Just sold my 89' XJ to another friend. I will post up some pics of that one soon. Wish I has done a build chronicle of that one since it was my first XJ build. The 89' made me a convert to Jeeps about 7 years ago, before that it was all Toyota's.

XJ Wheeler
02-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys. The color of mine as far as the VIN, is supposed the be gunmetal pearl, though it looks more blue to me.

I will definitely start up some build threads. Mine will probably be an ongoing project throughout the year though. Lot's of stuff I would like to do.

The 96' that my co-worker owns will be getting some work done before mine more than likely. He's not planning anything major. Maybe 2-3" of lift and some other minor upgrades.

Just sold my 89' XJ to another friend. I will post up some pics of that one soon. Wish I has done a build chronicle of that one since it was my first XJ build. The 89' made me a convert to Jeeps about 7 years ago, before that it was all Toyota's.

Ah, so you already have experience. Cool. Having one previously, i'm sure, ideas have been churning in your head for a while. Always good to have a fellow XJer close by to swap ideas, or parts if need be.

How do you likevthe difference of the newer style compared to your renix?

Never got why they called it gunmetal, but i like it none the less.

TripleZero
02-04-2013, 11:57 PM
The 98' is definitely more responsive than the 89'. Though the 89' was abused before I got ahold of it.

It was a bone stock limited and I had to work on the cooling system before I could even drive it(gotta love to hate closed cooling systems). After I got it running, I put a 3.5" RE Superflex on it, rear locker, and proceeded to trim the fenders so I could fit 33's.

Did a ton of wheeling with it. Plenty of trails on CO for anything from stock to comp. built. And of course tons of repairs. The usual stuff, radiator, alternator, water pump, unit bearings, u-joints, etc. Was just glad I never had any major drivetrain issues with it. Only bad part though is it will now be on the other side of the state from me after my friend buys it. But, hey what do you do.

I think I will enjoy building up the 98' more though. Even with high miles it has been well maintained. I am the third owner. The second owner had pretty much all maintenance records from when he purchased it. So, for the most part, I know what has been done and what might need to be done in the near future.

Edit: Forgot to add, living on the western slope of CO and being only 65 miles from Moab, I have plenty of people I can talk to and tons of XJ's and other rigs as well to get some ideas from.

XJ Wheeler
02-05-2013, 01:25 AM
The 98' is definitely more responsive than the 89'. Though the 89' was abused before I got ahold of it.

It was a bone stock limited and I had to work on the cooling system before I could even drive it(gotta love to hate closed cooling systems). After I got it running, I put a 3.5" RE Superflex on it, rear locker, and proceeded to trim the fenders so I could fit 33's.

Did a ton of wheeling with it. Plenty of trails on CO for anything from stock to comp. built. And of course tons of repairs. The usual stuff, radiator, alternator, water pump, unit bearings, u-joints, etc. Was just glad I never had any major drivetrain issues with it. Only bad part though is it will now be on the other side of the state from me after my friend buys it. But, hey what do you do.

I think I will enjoy building up the 98' more though. Even with high miles it has been well maintained. I am the third owner. The second owner had pretty much all maintenance records from when he purchased it. So, for the most part, I know what has been done and what might need to be done in the near future.

Edit: Forgot to add, living on the western slope of CO and being only 65 miles from Moab, I have plenty of people I can talk to and tons of XJ's and other rigs as well to get some ideas from.

Well, the newer 4.0s do have more power from the factory. My '92 feels to have a little bit more than my brothers '90 as well.

Sounds like a nicely built rig, gotta give us some pics man. We need some drool material. :D

Hey, high miles with these is just a plethora of experience. ;) Its character.

I've actually spent a lot of time in Co, and hope to in the future. So i know exactly what you mean, its like the homeland for modded jeeps. Almost one on every block. :cool0010:

bluedragon436
02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Those are two nice looking XJ's there... How come said co-worker isn't on here yet?? LOL

TripleZero
02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Not sure. I told him he should register here. Hopefully he does.