PDA

View Full Version : 96 xj CB mount...

Sparky
02-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I need an Idea for a bumper mount that returns GOOD SWR's with a 4' firestick antenna. Any ideas with pic's would be appreciated!! It MUST have good SWR's though because I am tired of frying radio's.

prerunner1982
02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
a 4' antenna on the rear bumper may not get good SWRs and may not get out well due to the majority of the antenna running next to the body causing the signal to reflect back.

If you mounted it on a tail light mount at least 1/2 the antenna would be at/above the top of the Jeep and at least give you better performance and hopefully decent SWR.

But if you are set on mounting it to the bumper, make sure you have a good clean connection at the mount and/or run a ground wire to the body. I would suggest mounting in the metal part of the bumper and not the plastic end cap. If you mount the antenna in the end cap you will most definitely need a ground wire.

Sparky
02-04-2013, 10:23 PM
OK my bumper is home made from a piece of C channel. There isn't any plastic. But I'm not sure if I am getting great connection to the body. Ill drop the bumper and use a wire brush and make sure the 2 pieces are in good contact. I do know I painted the bumper before I put it on the Jeep so that might have something to do with it.but if that doesn't work ill have to look into a tail light mount.

prerunner1982
04-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Cooper... did this work out for you?

Sparky
04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Cooper... did this work out for you? I grounded the bumper to my body with a 1" copper strap. I have a great SWR reading now:bacondance: