PDA

View Full Version : I need help real quick!

finneys98xj
08-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Sorry I aint posted in a while guys. I aint had acess to a computer and have been busy.

Today POPS98XJ throw codes P0600 and P1694 which means the PCM is shot. but I need to know where it is. Help please

Its a 98model.

dajeepman
08-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Try to call your local pick n pull yards. or auto salvage yards... If you get one from the dealer if their is any left after Chrysler went belly up you will pay a arm and a leg for one.

JG-Man
08-31-2009, 12:12 AM
I got 2 cool Jeep manuals today thrown in with the purchase of my roof rack:

Those are general terms - I looked them up.
PCM: Powertrain control module. See Electronic Control Unit (ECU). It's the "dual microprocessor, digital computer that regulates all the engine functions like ignition timing, air-fuel ratios, emissions, charging systems, speed control and idle speed.

However, the book only covers up to '98 (I have a 2000). But it has a diagram of where it is up to '96 and how to remove it. Should I try and scan it or can I direct you by just kinda reciting what it says?

It's on the driver's side lower fenderwall
1. disconnect battery ground
2. remove coolant reserve tank and unplug the 3 electrical connectors from the PCM (picture shows three-32way rectangular connectors lined up horizontally)
3. remove 3 PCM mounting bolts (its a large double box, stacked horizontally)
4. install in reverse
:smiley-scared002:

I don't know if that will actually fix your problem though, that could mean it's getting bad signals from other factors that lead to the computer's inability to manage the engine functions no?

JG-Man
08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Whatever, you do, DON"T CUT THE GREEN WIRE!!! Or it will detonate!!!

No seriously, good luck.

Mudderoy
08-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Sorry I aint posted in a while guys. I aint had acess to a computer and have been busy.

Today POPS98XJ throw codes P0600 and P1694 which means the PCM is shot. but I need to know where it is. Help please

Its a 98model.

You mean the location of the PCM under the hood? Front driver's side just next to the air box. Between the air box and the fender, I think. Sitting vertically.

BlueXJ
08-31-2009, 06:03 AM
You mean the location of the PCM under the hood? Front driver's side just next to the air box. Between the air box and the fender, I think. Sitting vertically.

Muddy since you have the same year why not post a pic that will help Josh out to find it.
My old Renix one is under the dash close to the gas pedal.

finneys98xj
08-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys!

I know what it was just didnt know where. What years will interchange? I aint going to the dealer we are going to the junkyard.

No pic nessecerry I know what Mudd talking about.

JG-Man
09-25-2009, 09:15 PM
I saw this on my local NY City/NJ Craigs List. Still need a computer?

Jeep cherokee parts - $50 (wallington nj)
Date: 2009-09-17, 5:45PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a bunch of parts from an xj cherokee im parting out throt body marker lights rear pass tailight computer new shocks for a 3-5 inch lift new ss brake lines trans computer, steer wheel, air bag turn signal box.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1379585985

4.3LXJ
09-25-2009, 10:53 PM
NAPA sells rebuilds for about $125 exchange.

Primo
09-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks guys!

I know what it was just didnt know where. What years will interchange? I aint going to the dealer we are going to the junkyard.

No pic nessecerry I know what Mudd talking about.

I got mine off the web. google dat SH!+