PDA

View Full Version : Open Door with Bad Latches

troutfan77
01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Has anyone ever had both door handles fail? Is there a way to access the mechanisms without opening the door? HELP!

Brasscatz
01-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Hmmm.... I never have. Are you able to crawl in from the back so you can open the doors? I've never replaced a door handle on a Cherokee, but I did on my wife's old toyota. Was pretty easy, just had to get in there from inside the door panel.

Also, I'd try a trip to the Junk Yard for new handles if ya need them. Or Amazon/Ebay.

4.3LXJ
01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Yes, try getting in the tail gate if you need to. I have replaced door handles, but you will need to get the door open and the panel off first.

troutfan77
01-28-2013, 04:02 PM
I should have been more clear... The inner and outter driver side door handles are not working, I guess my BIG question is, Can you remove door panel with door shut? All other doors are working just fine, I was just wondering if anybody has "unlatched" the door outlaw style?

XJ Wheeler
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm sure its possible to get the door panel off with the door closed, might have to be a little destructive. But first try removing the inner door handle (not arm rest) to see if you can get to the linkage. And you could always try slim jim-ing it.

4.3LXJ
01-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Before you do that, just for giggles remove the inner door handle and try to operate the rods that go back to the door mechanism. I suspect that they may be locked. That both handles would be inoperative on both sides is a little suspicous

gary63
01-29-2013, 07:38 AM
does your key work to lock and unlock the door then if it move the locking rod all the way.if it moves all the way try both inside then outside handles do you feel any resestents like them are stell hooked up if not then you will most likly
have to remove the inside door planel. roll the windol down then remove all the faseners that you can.you will have to ben and flix the door panel. if you can find a warm place it may help alittle. and you may brake somethings.good luck

hitman
01-29-2013, 07:51 AM
I guess I really cheated...I removed the driver seat to get the door panel off the one at the junkyard. Broke a couple clips, but no real damage to the door panel.