PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Jeep Wranglers?

Mudderoy
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I've always loved them. I've never owned one but I'm hoping that in the next year or two I can get one for my wife.

Some of you may know that we have another site, part of the talk.com family, called tjTalk.com. It has been much slower to start than this site. I'm sure it has to do with little advertising, and there are so many Wrangler sites out there already.

Please take a moment to tell any of your friends about tjTalk.com.

You are welcome to come check it out yourself!

whowey
08-28-2009, 05:56 PM
We had a YJ for a very short period... The wife and I pretty much hated it... Okay.. I hated it, she didn't like it. It was the 87 so a bunch of one year parts and had a 3 inch shackle lift... Rode completely like Shitake mushrooms...

She does like the LJ.. so maybe I can find her one someday..

2000XJ
08-28-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm a big fan of the Wranglers - however, not so much of the JK Wrangler. When I was going to school a few years ago and was looking for a newer vehicle/SUV I settled on the XJ because it had the cargo space I needed for moving back and forth between schools, and I wanted something really comfortable to be commuting in between my house, my girlfriends school, and my school. For daily driving, I just can't pass up the XJ's - the convenience of the four doors, comfy heated leather seats, the Full-Time 4WD option in the NP242, and the list goes on....

However, as for wheeling, for me personally it isn't the ideal vehicle for what I want to wheel and what vehicle I want to wheel. Don't get me wrong - I have loved every minute of wheeling the hell out of mine, but it's not ultimately what I want to build. My plan is to build a YJ. I'd like to build a TJ, but after helping my friend build his this year they are just too much of a hassle with the OBDII and newer everything. The YJ's are simple and the doo-dads are kept to a minimum. I already have my plans ready for the YJ, just need to acquire a YJ and sell the XJ trail rig to free up some funds for the build.

As for daily driving a TJ/LJ - I'd do it, but it'd have to be on 33's or 35's, regeared, with some creature comfort additions such as seat risers, Tuffy console, seat covers, herc'd interior, upgraded radio and speakers, among a few other small things.

I'd probably daily drive a YJ too if it was in really good shape. My girlfriend's dad still daily drives his '91 YJ, of which he is the original owner. It's been his DD on and off since '91 and it still runs well. It's a bit rusty, but the drivetrain is in great shape.

Mudderoy
08-28-2009, 11:09 PM
I love our XJ, hopefully it will be in the family until it can fly. I'm always worried that I'll get hit out of no where and it will be history.

It's just a thing, and can be replaced, but all the time and effort.

Yep, I'd love to have a TJ (98+) and put some 33/35's on it. Both the wife and I would enjoy it.

muddeprived
08-28-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm a wrangler guy by birth, driving an xj. :) Don't get me wrong, xj's are sweet and capable, but nothing beats the topless/doorless/lowered windshield experience of the wrangler. You can pop your doors off on your xj but it'll never be the same. ;)

Mudderoy
08-29-2009, 12:37 AM
I'd love to get a yellow TJ, but the wife says yellow makes it look like a taxi. Red would be okay too.

xjjeepthing
08-29-2009, 07:50 AM
I'd love to get a yellow TJ, but the wife says yellow makes it look like a taxi. Red would be okay too.

Thanks, Tell her I resemble that remark

muddeprived
08-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Yellow jeeps are da shi$. Even with bling blings....

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF3169copy1.jpg

:D

Mudderoy
08-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks, Tell her I resemble that remark

Yeah well you know I love you, ahhh, your Jeep. :smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM

Can you get those in bead locks! :rotfl2:

2000XJ
08-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd wheel that!

TeXJ
08-30-2009, 01:55 AM
yes wranglers are great for offroad, but the reasons i wanted a XJ is this: (i've had 4 YJs)

1. security, better buy some tuffy security boxes or have NOTHING inside, softtop speaking.

2. everybody has them, now it seems XJs are getting popular too. lol

3. i can have all my camping gear, tools, and family in my jeep.

4. getting picked on for grocery getter and then getting up things TJs cant, i saw a guy almost flip his over trying to get up a steep incline, that i just walked right up.

5. you have coil springs up front, leaves in the rear. TJs have a problem with unloading on hills due to the rear springs. I've seen guys put XJ springs on their TJs in the rear.

6. JEEP SPEED

7. the ride quality is soo much better than a YJ, never been in a TJ.

Mudderoy
08-30-2009, 03:31 AM
yes wranglers are great for offroad, but the reasons i wanted a XJ is this: (i've had 4 YJs)

1. security, better buy some tuffy security boxes or have NOTHING inside, softtop speaking.

2. everybody has them, now it seems XJs are getting popular too. lol

3. i can have all my camping gear, tools, and family in my jeep.

4. getting picked on for grocery getter and then getting up things TJs cant, i saw a guy almost flip his over trying to get up a steep incline, that i just walked right up.

5. you have coil springs up front, leaves in the rear. TJs have a problem with unloading on hills due to the rear springs. I've seen guys put XJ springs on their TJs in the rear.

6. JEEP SPEED

7. the ride quality is soo much better than a YJ, never been in a TJ.

Good information, thanks.

DETOURS
08-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I've had a Cj2a, Cj7, Cj8 and a YJ........Standard wheelbase on the Wrangler style Jeeps needs to be extended to perform, I've embaressed Rubicon owners with an unlocked XJ in the past on the same obsticals.........An LJ should do well out there.

Their all fun, their all good! :cheerleader:

96xj
08-31-2009, 03:50 PM

:eek::confused::smiley-laughing021::headbag::smiley-scared002::driving:
its a good thing that i can tell that is photo shop look at the passenger side tires under neath

muddeprived
08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
its a good thing that i can tell that is photo shop look at the passenger side tires under neath

shhhhh.....:smiley-taunt013:

TeXJ
08-31-2009, 05:11 PM

very nice /borat

:rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
09-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I like the YJs and XJs. My son has a YJ, which just happens to be the same color as my XJ. That's keeping it in the family. Ride quality is crappy in the YJ. One of these days I am going to work the suspension over for him. He uses his as a DD and also goes over the Sierras to Reno almost every week

2000XJ
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I love driving my girlfriend's dad's YJ, it rides horribly, but there's just something about it that makes it so much fun.

muddeprived
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I love driving my girlfriend's dad's YJ, it rides horribly, but there's just something about it that makes it so much fun.

Yeah it's like driving an oversized atv. :)

4.3LXJ
09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
That is what those things have always been.