PDA

View Full Version : I did a bad thing today...

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 12:07 PM
I did a bad thing today. Dan of the 4x4 Podcast posted on Facebook that their podcast has had over 30,000 downloads.

Knowing how many people download the XJ TALK SHOW! has been elusive to me. Well after a little bit of back and forth on Facebook with Dan I figured where to go look, and boy was I disappointed.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Now I didn't get a total but it's not hard to calculate.

It seems each one of the shows we have produced gets less than 100 downloads. So 61 shows, using 100 as an over estimate would be about 6100 downloads!!!! It's probably closer to 5000.

That's a long time and an awful lot of work. I'm really shocked. I thought we were doing much better.

I know that I'm enjoying doing the show and really that should be enough, but I think it's like the guy that always tells bad jokes. He finds it fun and funny to tell the bad joke, but no one else is laughing, or worse if they are laughing they are laughing because the poor slob keeps trying.

4.3LXJ
01-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I think you have to remember that you are aiming at a very special audience. And it is still young

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
I think you have to remember that you are aiming at a very special audience. And it is still young

Doesn't seem like it's young Steve. I guess I'll have to blame the MTV for my inpatients...

4.3LXJ
01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Well, let me clarify that a little. Your pod cast has evolved. There is a world of difference between what you are doing now and where you started. You have only had a few shows with Josh and interviews of other personalities. Stuff like this takes time to catch on.

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Well, let me clarify that a little. Your pod cast has evolved. There is a world of difference between what you are doing now and where you started. You have only had a few shows with Josh and interviews of other personalities. Stuff like this takes time to catch on.

Yeah that's a really good point. I forgot about that. It seems much longer to me.

denverd1
01-04-2013, 03:06 PM
not sure if I'm alone on this or what.... I listened to the 4x4 podcast just to see what the competition has to offer. I agree with what folks are saying on FB. I simply don't have TIME for more than 15 minutes to listen to something like this. I realize XJTalk is fairly lengthy. 4x4podcast is an hour plus. I've got a friend locally who made the same mistake. His is about beer. Each week they pick 3 or 4 beers, pop the top and discuss. for 2 hours. WHAT? even if they gave the most detailed critique of beer, which I love and am always up for hearing about, I can't do it for 2 hours. But when they start talking dungeons and dragons or the latest video game??? I'm beyond done. Keep it short. Jam pack it with content. Short personality interviews. Exciting new products and product testing, events, tips and tricks. if it goes over 15 min, then chop it to next week. My 2 cents

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
not sure if I'm alone on this or what.... I listened to the 4x4 podcast just to see what the competition has to offer. I agree with what folks are saying on FB. I simply don't have TIME for more than 15 minutes to listen to something like this. I realize XJTalk is fairly lengthy. 4x4podcast is an hour plus. I've got a friend locally who made the same mistake. His is about beer. Each week they pick 3 or 4 beers, pop the top and discuss. for 2 hours. WHAT? even if they gave the most detailed critique of beer, which I love and am always up for hearing about, I can't do it for 2 hours. But when they start talking dungeons and dragons or the latest video game??? I'm beyond done. Keep it short. Jam pack it with content. Short personality interviews. Exciting new products and product testing, events, tips and tricks. if it goes over 15 min, then chop it to next week. My 2 cents

lol dungeons and dragons... great line.

So where do you listen? Is the 15 minutes based on anything like the length of your drive to from work for example?

4.3LXJ
01-04-2013, 03:12 PM
That might be a good point Tony. Maybe shorten it a little. I think that would be an improvement

denverd1
01-04-2013, 03:14 PM
exactly, my drive to work. and to be honest since I haven't downloaded a podcast in over a year. I stream XJTalk at work, but I can't do it for an hour.... the whole cloud deal is making podcasting different. we don't carry stuff on our devices anymore, we access it. can you stream one on a cell phone?

XJ Wheeler
01-04-2013, 03:22 PM
That is also something to remember, not everyone may download it. Actually i would assume most just stream it, do those numbers reflect streaming?

denverd1
01-04-2013, 04:08 PM
here's another thing, if I do have 2 hours to kill listening to stuff on the web, I can listen to several XJTalk podcasts. if the content is good, ppl will keep coming back. and you'll build a backlog so that ppl can listen to several in the same time frame they would've heard one.

the 4x4podcast guys aren't doing it right either IMO.

prerunner1982
01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
If you only have 15 mins a day to listen then the one podcast a week that is produced would take you the whole week to listen to. Better than the talk radio and the music that is being played most of the time.

Tony...there is a difference between you (us) and Dan... his website is based more towards his podcasts... your (our?) website is based more towards a forum with a podcast as a bonus.

Also if you look up Jeep Podcast we don't even show up... if you look up Jeep Cherokee Podcast we are the only one showing up. If there is a way to make a search engine see your podcast when searching Jeep Podcast or off road or 4x4 podcast then maybe it might bring in a few more non XJtalk members.

The 100 or so downloads you get are your main core of active XJtalk.com members so not a bad thing, at least you know you have a pretty dedicated audience, even if we aren't as large as you had wanted.

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 06:10 PM
That is also something to remember, not everyone may download it. Actually i would assume most just stream it, do those numbers reflect streaming?

Well a stream is just a download, a download, buffer, play, and keep downloading. At least that's my understanding.

Now what I don't know is how they count it if people are listening from the xjtalkshow.com site.

Carves
01-04-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm all for dungeon and dragons on XJTalk ... :D:D

.... used to be a fun time sitting around with a bunch of beers and rolling funny shaped dice ... ;)

My apologies for messing with your stats Mudderoy .... I'm 3 shows behind at the moment .. :o

I like the idea of shorter podcasts too ... altho theres a certain amount of fun and banter in the longer ones ... so maybe a mix of short ones and a long one per month ??

Brasscatz
01-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Where did you happen to get those numbers, Tony? I myself, for instance, use beyondPod to download and listen to shows. I don't stream them because the coverage at work can be sketchy. If you are just checking iTunes numbers you could be missing a large chunk of listeners' downloads.

As far as the actual show goes, I'm one of the lucky ones that can zone out at work and listen to a long show and I love the longer shows. Now with the live shows, I sometimes actually find myself missing some of the show because I'm chatting in the chat box. But the best part is that I can go back and listen to the show after you've posted it and that's win/win :D I've listened to almost all the4x4podcast shows up to about 4 months ago and they're ok, but they just don't hold my attention and have fun like XJTALK SHOW does.

Jake (XJ_Wheeler) actually shares/reposts the show link on Facebook for you everytime you post it up. That could be what you need... more advertising. I know you've starting doing more advertising and I think it's helped a lot. The longer the show is around and the more exposure you have like the "Jeep" and "Jeep Cherokee" keyword thing Jon mentioned, maybe add more keywords like 4x4, etc, the more viewers you'll get. Limbaugh wasn't nationally syndicated in 60 shows, I'm sure :D

Dredwolf
01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
I am going to step up and say don't make them too short....there is too much these days that seems to focus on the short-attention span crowd (now THAT is an ironic statement) that tries to jam too much "fluff" into a short time span...

I can get "fluff" from my single 4x4 mag subscription, or the highlights of the SEMA show. I can see where the longer episodes are an issue for some, so maybe a mix of lengths?

Tony, this is a "new" forum, that adds members everyday. The principals are sound, and the members don't flame everybody, no matter the question.

We don't have the rude, snobby "old geezer" pointing out to everyone, in almost every thread, that new users should use the search function instead of asking questions, or that anyone that does not buy Warn has just given their entire family to some league of demons for sacrifice, and should be banished.

I am glad for all that you, and all the "elder" members of :xjtalk: have done.

Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

Carves
01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
......... or that anyone that does not buy Warn has just given their entire family to some league of demons for sacrifice, and should be banished.

:smiley-laughing021:

Dredwolf
01-04-2013, 09:42 PM
that anyone that does not buy Warn has just given their entire family to some league of demons for sacrifice, and should be banished.

:rant:
Yeah, the whole "Thou shalt buy WARN and WARN is the ONLY brand thou shalt buy if thou wishes to offer ANY opinion on winches without being mocked until thou leavthest the forum in thine shame" thing gets old...

Yeah, WARN makes awesome winches...but sleeping indoors is pretty awesome too. I get to do that when the Commander In Chief (AKA Wife) agrees with the logic on my purchases for my hobby.

cantab27
01-04-2013, 09:48 PM
:rant:
Yeah, the whole "Thou shalt buy WARN and WARN is the ONLY brand thou shalt buy if thou wishes to offer ANY opinion on winches without being mocked until thou leavthest the forum in thine shame" thing gets old...

Yeah, WARN makes awesome winches...but sleeping indoors is pretty awesome too. I get to do that when the Commander In Chief (AKA Wife) agrees with the logic on my purchases for my hobby.

use the search button ..heaps of info on this subject....:p:wink:

Dredwolf
01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
use the search button ..heaps of info on this subject....:p:wink:

:P

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I am going to step up and say don't make them too short....there is too much these days that seems to focus on the short-attention span crowd (now THAT is an ironic statement) that tries to jam too much "fluff" into a short time span...

I can get "fluff" from my single 4x4 mag subscription, or the highlights of the SEMA show. I can see where the longer episodes are an issue for some, so maybe a mix of lengths?

Tony, this is a "new" forum, that adds members everyday. The principals are sound, and the members don't flame everybody, no matter the question.

We don't have the rude, snobby "old geezer" pointing out to everyone, in almost every thread, that new users should use the search function instead of asking questions, or that anyone that does not buy Warn has just given their entire family to some league of demons for sacrifice, and should be banished.

I am glad for all that you, and all the "elder" members of :xjtalk: have done.

Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

I'm still amazed that everyone "gets" it. It's nice knowing I wasn't the only one that was upset how people were being treated on the other forums. Really it's great having this problem to bitch about. :D

cantab27
01-04-2013, 09:56 PM
:boohoo:

sorry had to....:D

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
:boohoo:

sorry had to....:D

Hey karma is a real bitch, oh wait, it already got you, as you were. :shocker: :rolleye0012: :D

cantab27
01-04-2013, 09:59 PM
aw shut up lol

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 10:02 PM
aw shut up lol

lol hope you're able to sleep a little now Wayne. Hurry and heal up. :pray:

thesupercroc
01-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Tony,

I <3 the long pod cast it give me some thing to listen to while long and reoitive tasks.

Now there is a poinnt were it would get to long >2 hour I would say.
I love the ustream part were we have to least some interaction with you and other XJtalkers.

Another question is are you having fun with it? if not change it so your are.

Keep up the good work!

DETOURS
01-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Warn sucks, buy a Superwinch!:rolleye0012:

Tony, I'd leave it be and just keep doing what you're doing, consistency is key, no more long breaks of not doing the show......I listen to back episodes in the shop all the time or atleast when I think about it......some advertising would certainly help......stick with it and believe in yourself and what you're doing!

NW99XJ
01-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Now what I don't know is how they count it if people are listening from the xjtalkshow.com site.
I would think thats how (most) of "us" listen to the show....thats how I do it.

Tony, I'd leave it be and just keep doing what you're doing, consistency is key
YEA!

...no more long breaks of not doing the show......
YEA!

......some advertising would certainly help......stick with it and believe in yourself and what you're doing!
YEA! ....What HE Said!
:D

4.3LXJ
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Tony, I access the pod cast through the site. Does that count as a download?

EricsXJ
01-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Tony & Josh,

I'll say I like listening to the podcasts (usually at work) and look forward to them each week. People just don't know its here yet and you've already pointed that out about having to promote it more. I can only imagine how much work goes into doing this, and wanted to say thank you to both you and that Josh guy.

Keep it up!

Mudderoy
01-08-2013, 02:22 AM
I chatted more with Dan, of the 4x4 Podcast. He's done 25 episodes and 30,000 downloads later.... lol

He uses libsyn and xjtalk using Internet Archive. One you pay for the other one is free, although I do need to donate to them for their free service.

Anywho, I know that libsyn has some really good data collection and display information, which the free service does not. I just had to do a guestimation on how many downloads from there.

Basically it works like this. I upload the show to Internet Archive then they give me a link on their servers.

I put that link up on the XJ TALK SHOW! site Then Feedburner gets that link automagically and shares it with iTunes and other services. So basically it's one source, from Internet Archive.

I can say I know that all the downloads are counted, only that if anyone has a chance of counting the downloads correctly it would be where the file is being served, and that the Internet Archive.

They say we've been downloaded about 6,000 times for 62 shows. So that's less that 100 downloads per show.

I would like to see those numbers bigger because it would be nice to SELL advertising on the show, also we're more likely to get a celebrity guest on for an interview.

Brasscatz
01-08-2013, 07:38 AM
I've got to think that it has something to do with keywords... ”the4x4podcast” and ”XJtalk show”. One thing is true, Dan includes all types of 4x4s while we're oriented towards jeeps. Is there way to add more key words that people can search for? I know I've tried searches in the past and not much came up. XJtalk came up with specific searches.