PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Rope?

workgoats
01-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Is anyone using or have any experience with plasma rope on your winches?

(using rope on your wench was not what I was looking for.)

The company I work for uses a ton of Plasma rope in winches used on our boats doing sea bed exploration. We have had much better service than with wire rope.

I think I will be adding a new winch to my project in the next month or so and I am thinking of setting it up with plasma rope.

cantab27
01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
do the rope....its the future...i use it as do most down here now...liter, safer and better for the hands..

4.3LXJ
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Yeah, the rope is better

workgoats
01-04-2013, 07:36 AM
I have yet been able to use my winch in a straight pull. I think the rope will work much better in those off center pulls.

The company I work for pulls core samples from the ocean floor, often in very deep water. Our ropes spend a lot of time going up and down on the winches.

Our larger ropes that are taken out of service make really good tow ropes. It takes about an hour to splice in a very nice loop in the end of the rope.

4.3LXJ
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Synthetic line is getting very popular. The only thing is that you cannot let it rub on rocks and such while winching. Seems to be the death of them

cantab27
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
down here we have to have the rope when it competitions...no wire shit...sounds like ya might be able to score some from your work place....;)

workgoats
01-06-2013, 06:15 AM
down here we have to have the rope when it competitions...no wire shit...sounds like ya might be able to score some from your work place....;)

I have a 140' piece of 3/8" rope that we will use to pull some stainless steel tubing in a conduit with a wire tugger. After that, it will be abandoned to me. I will be buying a new winch later this month. I suspect I will have some extra steel rope when the smoke clears.

gary63
01-06-2013, 10:05 AM
from what I'm getting from people who have used both say if you use it like 1 or 2 times or less a year steel. it holds up better if it is just setting out in the weather (sun,rain,snow and wind)and ready when you need it. if you use it alot on trails and other things and you have clean pulls (pulls were the line isn't rubbing againsed rock and you can see the line) then rope line work great. it is lighter easyer to pull and to through to some one.If it brakes it is safer.So now most are useing both if they have one on the spool they have the other onboard somewere.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
One thing I would be interested to find out, and something I have not seen commented on is what happens if anything if you get a lot of grit in it say from pulling it through mud. The reason I raise this question is that the synthetic ropes do not hold up well to abrasion. So what happens if you get a ton of little pieces of silicone in amongst the fibers?

cantab27
01-06-2013, 11:58 AM
sound stupid but wash the rope, same as ya strop .....

gary63
01-06-2013, 01:48 PM
most people around here that use rope will carry some water if they are going to run in mudd becouse grit will shorten the life on both but rope faster.

cantab27
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
most people around here that use rope will carry some water if they are going to run in mudd becouse grit will shorten the life on both but rope faster.

we r lucky again cause the amount of fresh water rivers...give truck a splash down after mud , crawl slowly up river and clean radiator as well....:rolleye0012:

bluedragon436
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I need to get me a winch first, then I might have to look into the plasma rope... been thinking about doing the Synthetic line though when I do get a winch...

Wayne haven't you already learned your lesson about swimming in your Jeeps??

cantab27
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
I need to get me a winch first, then I might have to look into the plasma rope... been thinking about doing the Synthetic line though when I do get a winch...

Wayne haven't you already learned your lesson about swimming in your Jeeps??

yep ...when it comes it the vents on dash ya got about a foot to go before shit hits fan......:innocent0002: