PDA

View Full Version : Plow mount

PEI-XJ
12-19-2012, 08:37 AM
i just bought a plow from a friend and it was on a 80's style ford ranger now i am trying to come up with a way to mod the mount for it to fit on my 99 xj
the mount was made for the ranger any ideas or how to's would be great
:xjtalk:

4.3LXJ
12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Rangers have a frame, XJs have a subframe made out of stamped sheet metal. So, you have to get creative with it. You will need a plate that extends from the bumper mount all the way back at least as far as the sleeved holes just in front of the coils. Also that mount will need to be sort of L shaped to incorporate the sway bar mounting holes and you will need to make provision for the steering box bolts to go through it also. It will need to be like the winch bumper mounts with the extra provision for the sway bar mounting position. You might want to start with the bumper mounting plates for a do it your self bumper like you can get from Dirt Bound Off Road, and then add the extra tab for the sway bar mount.

PEI-XJ
12-19-2012, 01:45 PM
i have a homemade bumper made from 3/16 C-channel that has 2x4 box steel that is welded to the C and to the stock bumper mounts

4.3LXJ
12-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Are you planning on using this for the plow? Some pics would help

xj4life2
01-01-2013, 12:19 PM
sadly , I believe that even with all the correct re enforcements useing the XJ to move snow could be a catastofic error. snow weighs more that you think and more than likely you will end up seriously damageing your subframe. I would suggest not useing the XJ.

xjrev10
01-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I have a MJ that has a plow. The truck is beat to hell, mount had obviously been broke and welded back up. The unitbody mounts are okay. That said, this truck never leaves my yard.

But after seeing all this, a correctly mounted plow designed to work with the XJ uniframe, is perfectly acceptable. I'm on my phone now but I've searched online and have found companies that built mounts for specific plows and vehicles. I have a Snow Wolf plow. They have not been sold since the late 90s I believe, at least for the XJ/MJ. This company could have built me the exact mount needed to mount the plow on my old 2000 XJ if I was not able to get the MJ to work. I ended up being successful in the MJ repairs so I never did go through with it.

Just some food for thought.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/02/agedutub.jpg

denverd1
01-03-2013, 02:17 PM
thats pretty cool!!

Blaze
02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Man, I would stay far away from putting a plow on a unibody vehicle. You are just asking for all kinds of issues, these things aren;t made to have that kinda weight hanging off the front of them.

Joliet Johnny
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I had never noticed an XJ with a plow till this thread and now I have seen 3 in my town. I never have my phone ready but one of them looks really cool.

xjrev10
02-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Man, I would stay far away from putting a plow on a unibody vehicle. You are just asking for all kinds of issues, these things aren;t made to have that kinda weight hanging off the front of them.

I totally disagree for HOME use. Commercially, absolutely. I never go over 10mph with mine and I am very careful even tho its obvious someone beat the snot out of my truck before I got it. It's all the operator.

My plow weights probably 200 lbs. How many folks have 200 lbs worth of bumper and winch hanging off the front of their unit body? Okay maybe leverage with the plow makes it more. What about side winching loads? The plow mounts are mounted just like a aftermarket winch mount utilizing all the steering box holes and the sway bar mounting bolts. (Mine is)

The plow has been on and used on my MJ since around 97 to 09. That's a lot of plowing.