PDA

View Full Version : Easier U-Joint removal

workgoats
12-15-2012, 05:25 PM
I have found that there is a much easier way to remove and install u-joints than with a hammer, a bolt and a large socket like I have been doing for decades.

I bought a ball joint press from the low dollar store (Harbor Freight) to actually do a ball joint. I have, however, used it much more working on the u-joints for my current project.

I lost the audio on this video when I down-sized it but you haven't missed anything. The drive shaft if from an 89 Cherokee and it was a relatively new U-joint. I pulled it because the drive shaft has to be replaced after some alterations.

Installation is almost as easy.

vimeo.com/55690996

bluedragon436
12-15-2012, 06:37 PM
This looks like it will make my u-joint replacements in the front end, much easier.... guess I'll have to find out when I get home...

4.3LXJ
12-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I have the ball joint press tool. But I keep going back to my large vise and a socket. Perhaps if I had a ow table like that to work with it would be better.

Brasscatz
12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
When I did my u-joints, I used my 2-sided impact socket and a 3 pound sledge. I ended up pounding for hours and hours and a big chip of the sledge lodged itself very deep in my knee. My wife spent 30 minutes digging out my shrapnel lol. I also ruined my impact socket. I definitely could use a tool like this. I think they also make an actual u-joint tool that uses the same concept.

Klaatu55
12-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Sturdy table and decent vise helps a lot.

prcjeep
12-17-2012, 10:44 AM
This reminds me that i want to buy or make a vise that can be inserted into the receiver hitch... Anyone got have any experience with soemething like that?

Then the ball joint press can be mobile!!

Dredwolf
12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Couple of choices there:

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/TrailD-Vise/All

Or pick a vise and mount it on this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-mount-vise-plate-66260.html

Dredwolf
12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
When I did my u-joints, I used my 2-sided impact socket and a 3 pound sledge. I ended up pounding for hours and hours and a big chip of the sledge lodged itself very deep in my knee. My wife spent 30 minutes digging out my shrapnel lol. I also ruined my impact socket. I definitely could use a tool like this. I think they also make an actual u-joint tool that uses the same concept.

What I have found works (if you have time) is converting a cheap plastic saw horse to a drive shaft holder with a bungee or two, and two plastic drip pans...

soak both caps liberally with PBBlaster, and TAP (not BANG WITH BFH :fighting0061:) on the yoke, and walk away and get a beverage, work on something else, etc. Keep up the "tap and leave" until the PBBlaster not puddling on the caps, then rotate and do other side. I have have one I started on Saturday finally free up on Sunday morning, but then it pressed out with a vise with little effort.

I have one of the ball joint presses also, and use this same technique for a couple of hours first, it saves the ball joint press.:D