PDA

View Full Version : Got to replace my floor jack....

Dredwolf
12-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Using one I picked up at Sam's club years ago, but the handle will not store straight up...it always get caught on everything...and makes the jack take up too much space.:bang:

I have a HiLift, and two decent trolley jacks, 4-5 bottle jacks and even a cheap tranny jack.

I need a decent floor jack that I can store under the end of a workbench, that will lift high enough for SUV's and the XJ.

Anybody got recommendations for anything from Northern or Harbor Freight?

4.3LXJ
12-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I have a Craftsman aluminum floor jack I use almost exclusively. I do have another steel jack though. The aluminum one is nice and light, goes up fast with no load on it and the handle is easily removed and will go in half. I use it that way to transport it.

Brasscatz
12-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I just threw out my Big Red Jack today... bunch of broken, unrepairable metal. I'd stick away from them ;)

bluedragon436
12-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I've never had an issue with my Big Red Jacks... but then again never used them for anything other than stock height trucks/SUV's and cars I've worked on... am looking for something that'll work height wise for the lifted XJ too... I was talking to the guy at a local shop to see what his recommendations were... his answer was buy a auto lift... now why didn't I think of that?!... oh yeah that's right cause they cost a couple thousand dollars and I don't have a house I own to install one at... LOL Look forward to seeing what others mention on this... as I am wanting to pick up a new floor jack too...

XJ Wheeler
12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Not sure of the brand but i usually use a big 6-ton floor jack. A pain to haul across the yard but no replacement for how easy and high it lifts.

I've used both a harbor freight aluminum 3-ton and a craftsman steel 3-ton, both barely lift the xj and have continuously had problems with the fluid leaking out and losing pressure (not good and a great reason to ALWAYS use jackstands).

olds-cool
12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Saw a 2.5 ton SUV jack at Advanced Auto one day that had a removable extension on it to lift higher. I was about to buy it till I saw the exact same thing at Tractor Supply with a different name. Looks like it's a big red. I really like the 360 handle option. I can't vouch for durability just yet. I'll probably be buying the one from TS real soon. I'm tired of stacking 2x4s to get my jack to lift the jeep high enough.

Advanced Auto Link (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_2-5-ton-quick-lift-trolley-jack-autocraft_9040064-p?searchTerm=2.5+jack&zoneAssigned=1)

Tractor Supply Link (http://www.tractorsupply.com/big-red-2-5-ton-suv-quick-lift-service-floor-jack-1160798)

XJ Wheeler
12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
That just doesn't look like a good idea in my mind. If its was permanent, like made as one piece, maybe.

Dredwolf
12-11-2012, 11:08 PM
I need to snap a pic of what I have, it is stout and lifts high, but may as well be one of the "long" style floor jacks you used to see, because it does not store well at all

Dredwolf
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
This is what I have, bought it Sam's several years ago.

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=429&pictureid=3377

It works well, but the handle will not stand straight up, so its a pain to store unless I remove the handle.