PDA

View Full Version : Is your XJ dangerous to the public?

Mudderoy
04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
You may remember my post over on cherokeetalk.com (http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f12/how-do-you-know-when-too-dangerous-drive-your-jeep-2482/) where a guy stopped traffic on the other side of the road to ask me some "XJ" questions.

Anyway, it happened to me again today, just not as bad.

I was sitting at a light on Jones road (in Houston), behind one car. A SUV was in the inside lane at the light. He starts backing up. People do crazy things all the time, but it dawned on me I bet he's backing up to talk to me.

Yep sure enough. He wanted to know if I had done all my own work to the Jeep. I told him it was a mix. He wanted to know about the lift, then before I could answer he says "Does it have a lift?" I chuckled and told him yes, a 4 and a half inch lift.

He then wanted to know who put it on for me. Turns out he has a land rover :eek: and wanted to get a lift on it.

No I didn't bother telling him about the site.

The Jeep is fun. :driving:

xjjeepthing
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
lol been there, people stare, ask question, its awesome

Melissa
04-03-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm bad. I'm the one who stares, asks questions and annoys other xj owners while mentally adding to my with list for my own xj. At least though I don't stop traffic to ask my questions.

Mudderoy
04-03-2009, 07:17 PM
If a girl stops to ask me about my Jeep, I'm telling you guys, people at work and my wife! :smiley-laughing021:

cheyennek5
04-03-2009, 07:31 PM
is my XJ dangerous to the public?.....

only if you havent had your tetanus shot lately LOL :smiley-laughing021:

JeepXJ.com
04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, dangerous...maybe not...but its becoming more useful every day...I can now "relieve" myself without opening a door. I have a nice spot thru the floor..lol. So many uses for my new "VENT" on the floor board.

Mudderoy
04-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Well, dangerous...maybe not...but its becoming more useful every day...I can now "relieve" myself without opening a door. I have a nice spot thru the floor..lol. So many uses for my new "VENT" on the floor board.

Handy! Ahhh pardon the pun. :eek:

BlueXJ
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Most of the XJs around here are not lifted so mine kinda stands out. I have seen two that are and they were more for show than go. They are part of the lifted F250 crowd who never leave the pavement.
So unless I see one covered in mud then I am not even gonna talk to them.
I stopped once when I saw one in a parking lot and when he saw mine covered in mud and nasty he didn't even want to talk to me. He acted like he only spoke Spanish so I started to talk to him in my TexMex and he said he had to go, so no more wasting of my time.

DETOURS
04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
When mine is actually traveling down the road, people look the other way......

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/100_2852.jpg

:headbag:

BlueXJ
04-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Why I think it looks pretty cool with those round eyes.

Mudderoy
04-08-2009, 10:17 PM
When mine is actually traveling down the road, people look the other way......

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/100_2852.jpg

:headbag:

Dude, you're d-rings are a little small. :smiley-laughing021:

Hey have you ever built yourself a buggy? Or better yet a truggy. If not why not!?!?!

jugbutt
07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm bad. I'm the one who stares, asks questions and annoys other xj owners while mentally adding to my with list for my own xj. At least though I don't stop traffic to ask my questions.

Me too!! So I don't feel bad. :rotfl2:

AJ99
07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
LOL my wife hates driving my XJ around town because people stare and ask questions lol. She also likes it at the same time. I guess one time she was driving it and a young couple were in a stock xj with some kind of homemade light bar on the factory bumper and they started to follow her around town for a little bit. She had our two year old and 6 month old in the back seat so she refused to stop. In stead she decided to head to the local foot hills and they kept following her through the hills. There is a spot around here where a stock jeep cant make it because of the loose dirt/small rocks. She decided to go up it and when they attempted to follow they couldnt make it

Howler_GT
07-14-2009, 07:52 PM
There are a handful of lifted XJ's in our local area.

A few I know, at least BY OWNER.

"WE" have been finally putting owner names to
"The Black One with that hot blonde"
"The Red Laredo w/Soft 8's"
"That nasty rusted green one."

These names are only temporary until we finally meet the owners

Alot of the guys I meet almost always bring up the Black One.
I tell them, "I know her AND her boyfriend. Let it go."

Melissa
07-14-2009, 08:24 PM
There are a handful of lifted XJ's in our local area.

A few I know, at least BY OWNER.

"WE" have been finally putting owner names to
"The Black One with that hot blonde"
"The Red Laredo w/Soft 8's"
"That nasty rusted green one."

These names are only temporary until we finally meet the owners

Alot of the guys I meet almost always bring up the Black One.
I tell them, "I know her AND her boyfriend. Let it go."

Oh thats cute Howler!!! :smiley-laughing021:

ChaseK
07-15-2009, 12:21 AM
I get a lot of mixed reactions..have had guys nod in a approval and others look at me like I'm killing their planet.

I like it when my GF drives it though. A lot more looks are given when she's driving. Rightfully so though. I'd definately wreck if I saw a beautiful girl driving an XJ like mine.

I like the guys who own a lifted TJ but ain't a Jeeper and give yours a good stare going by. I wave.

Then at night all people hate me lol. With the Silverstars and 7" lift and 35s they're up there pretty high and bright. People don't like that much at all lol.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-15-2009, 12:33 AM
i don't know if i would call it dangerous but it does turn alot of heads down the road, specially since i threw 1 of my stock tires on top.(i don't have the 5th M/T)

Mudderoy
07-15-2009, 08:26 AM
LOL my wife hates driving my XJ around town because people stare and ask questions lol. She also likes it at the same time. I guess one time she was driving it and a young couple were in a stock xj with some kind of homemade light bar on the factory bumper and they started to follow her around town for a little bit. She had our two year old and 6 month old in the back seat so she refused to stop. In stead she decided to head to the local foot hills and they kept following her through the hills. There is a spot around here where a stock jeep cant make it because of the loose dirt/small rocks. She decided to go up it and when they attempted to follow they couldnt make it

This is really funny, I'm going to warn my wife.

Mudderoy
07-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I get a lot of mixed reactions..have had guys nod in a approval and others look at me like I'm killing their planet.

I like it when my GF drives it though. A lot more looks are given when she's driving. Rightfully so though. I'd definately wreck if I saw a beautiful girl driving an XJ like mine.

I like the guys who own a lifted TJ but ain't a Jeeper and give yours a good stare going by. I wave.

Then at night all people hate me lol. With the Silverstars and 7" lift and 35s they're up there pretty high and bright. People don't like that much at all lol.

When I had my 83 Chevy truck, with 4" of lift and 36" tires, people in cars hated me at night, because the headlights were even with the back of their heads! If you made the mistake of pulling in front of me to get the first spot at the light, you were able to see CLEARLY everything inside your vehicle, including the closed glove compartment. Oh and I made sure one of those headlights was in a direct line with your driver's side mirrors.

They had a choice when they picked out the vehicle they wanted. They could have picked a taller one. lol

kmanxj
07-15-2009, 08:34 AM

x2 especially when the doors are off. All kinds of guys (especially the city boys, and wannabes lol) look at her or say "is that your jeep". LOL :smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
07-15-2009, 08:38 AM
i don't know if i would call it dangerous but it does turn alot of heads down the road, specially since i threw 1 of my stock tires on top.(i don't have the 5th M/T)

With 2 million XJs made, and the model being on the road for over 20 years, people are used to seeing XJs. Not a lot of people lift and modify them though. I knew from past experience that it would look much different with the lift, wheels, and tires, but I wasn't prepared for how different it would look. It was like a work of art.

So I think we have two things going for us. What we have looks similar to what people are used to seeing, but something much different. And then you have the just how DAMN good it looks.

I see about a even number of lifted Wranglers to unlifted. If there's any age to the Wrangler at all it is usually lifted.

kmanxj
07-15-2009, 11:20 AM
And like i said i getting pointed at and see jaws drop all the time when people see my doors off. They say "what happened to your doors?" i say " I took them off" they say "i didnt think you can do that with those jeeps" and i say "YOU CAN'T" lol

Mudderoy
07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
And like i said i getting pointed at and see jaws drop all the time when people see my doors off. They say "what happened to your doors?" i say " I took them off" they say "i didnt think you can do that with those jeeps" and i say "YOU CAN'T" lol

Tell them you were visiting Texas last year, and you lost them in Hurricane Ike!

kmanxj
07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
lol that sounds tougher lol

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-17-2009, 04:44 PM
With 2 million XJs made, and the model being on the road for over 20 years, people are used to seeing XJs. Not a lot of people lift and modify them though. I knew from past experience that it would look much different with the lift, wheels, and tires, but I wasn't prepared for how different it would look. It was like a work of art.

So I think we have two things going for us. What we have looks similar to what people are used to seeing, but something much different. And then you have the just how DAMN good it looks.

I see about a even number of lifted Wranglers to unlifted. If there's any age to the Wrangler at all it is usually lifted.

Yeah, before the lift i used to feel like people would see it as an old couples grocery getter, and wouldn't draw much attention. But now it's a different story.

AJ99
07-17-2009, 07:28 PM
LOL i actually had one of my moms old neighbors ask me if someone stole my doors lol... Its funny the way people act when i am going down the freeway. I have people move away from me.

I have no sway bar... one time i was going on an on ramp that circles around and i was doing it at about 35 to 40 and my jeep was leaning over a bit and when i got off the freeway i had a guy pull up next to me and tell me that something was wrong with my jeep and it looked like i was going to tip over... i told him i dont have any sway bars and he got a puzzled look on his face

Melissa
07-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah, before the lift i used to feel like people would see it as an old couples grocery getter, and wouldn't draw much attention. But now it's a different story.

Oh, now I am offended, mine is a non lifted, grocery getter, now I'm supposed to be old too??!!?!?! :rotfl2::rotfl2: