PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Clean This?

2000XJ
08-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a grinding shield like this:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/105957373/Grinding_Face_Shield.jpg

This shield was used alot this summer. At times, there were nights where it was in use for up to 3 hours for everything from grinding steel, to cutting steel, to grinding/flapping herculiner, etc. The shield was so dirty to the point where you could barely see through it well enough to grind.

So one night I figured that I'd clean it off by spraying some Brake Clean on a shop rag, and then just wiping the mask clean. Yes, I am a dumb ***. I use brake clean to clean many things in the shop, so I figured that it'd work like a charm on this mask. Well I wipe the mask off, and come to realize that it's not cleaning it, but instead it's leaving behind a film that made it impossible to see through the mask. I can't remove this film, and don't know how to.

Any of you guys have some advice or ideas??

xjjeepthing
08-19-2009, 09:52 PM
UMMM Buy a new one

BlueXJ
08-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Clean it with a solution of soapy water then polish it out like the plastic headlights on most cars and trucks being produced today. It is afterall just plastic.

muddeprived
08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
UMMM Buy a new one

I have to agree. I think you'll see out of a new one better. And come on man, we all know that a wire brush is used to clean those shields.

Just kiddin....;)

DETOURS
08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
You'll need to replace it if your time is worth anything.

2000XJ
08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Yea I figure that replacing it would just be the common answer - Problem Solved.

However, before I go buy a new one, I'm going to wire wheel thing, that there is an idea I'm going to try tonight!!

muddeprived
08-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Yea I figure that replacing it would just be the common answer - Problem Solved.

However, before I go buy a new one, I'm going to wire wheel thing, that there is an idea I'm going to try tonight!!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::thumbsup:

Howler_GT
08-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Along the top of the shield there should be a snap-strip.

Pop off the snaps and replace the plastic (clear) shield with a new one.