PDA

View Full Version : KC light covers.

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I really like my yellow vinyl KC covers on my off road lights, but there have been a few times I would have liked to turn them on but couldn't because of the covers. So time to fix that...

Well I found the metal mesh KC stone protection covers (7203) on Amazon for $20.64 a pair.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51h-FeUCtJL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

I really don't care for the look of these, but they are more functional than the plastic KC covers, and certainly more functional than the vinyl covers I have now.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41A5841BEKL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

I tried ordering 2 pairs, buzz! They only had one pair available. Amazon is the cheapest I could find, plus it was free shipping.

I tried again early this morning and changed my order to the 7213, the plastic "yellow" stone covers...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q9FFYRJ0L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Then it dawned on me that I already have yellow covers, and if I wanted to I could put those on and store the plastic covers. So I ordered the black ones (7210)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LoUU%2BE1fL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

They are more expensive than the metal mesh ones, ($11.95 each), which confuses me. So soon I'll be able to turn my off road lights on any time which was the point of this anyway.

I thought about just driving around with the covers off, but I really don't want to find a cracked daylighter, of course that can still happen with the stone covers, but it's a little less likely.

I'll probably order some replacement parts soon just to have on hand when a lens gets cracked, or a bulb burns out.

Now I had a particularly evil thought the other day. Before when I had the factory fog lights in the bumper I could pull back on the turn signal indicator and this would allow me to flash the highbeams. Doing this would turn OFF the factory fog lights momentarily. I was thinking how cool it would be to hook up the off road lights to that fog light circuit. But instead of turning off the off road lights it would turn them ON!

Now that would be a good attention getter!

Add a nice loud air horn and I'd be ready for my daily commute!

I'd love to have about a 500 watt PA system with some "canned" messages like...

"PUT THE CELL PHONE DOWN AND DRIVE!" :smiley-laughing021:

DETOURS
08-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Some states require oversized, offroad lighting to be covered on the street....when thats the case....the full vinyl cover is the way to roll.

Mudderoy
08-27-2009, 02:28 AM
Well the black plastic covers came in today. And just like other people had complained about on Amazon, the KC letters shown in the image are much smaller than what is on the actual cover.

Well larger letters mean more light going through, and at least they all match.

I really like the covers, and in retrospect I think I should have gone this direction. It's nice having the full vinyl covers, but for functionality this will be much better.

If I need additional lighting now, I just hit the switches. Before I had to get out take the covers off, store the covers, get back in and then turn the lights on.

In Texas you can run aux lighting as long as it isn't above 30 inches. No more than a total of 4 lights on at a time. Now I just read as much of the law as I wanted to and the 285k candlepower maybe be excluded from this. Anyway, I'm about 10 inches over the 30 in limit. Bottom of the lowest pair of KC's are at 40 inches.

Needless to say if I have them on it will be because I'm either goofing around or the weather is really bad.

I'll get a picture up soon of the new front end look.

BlueXJ
08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks to your post I bought the steel stone guards for my KCs (7203) and they will go on this weekend. I never knew Amazon had this kinda stuff. I have been buying books and music from them for years, even bought my GPS through them, but lighting stuff is all new to me.

Mudderoy
08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks to your post I bought the steel stone guards for my KCs (7203) and they will go on this weekend. I never knew Amazon had this kinda stuff. I have been buying books and music from them for years, even bought my GPS through them, but lighting stuff is all new to me.

That's great. I don't know if you recall but Amazon is where I found the best price for the Superwinch epi9.0. It was the same as the cheapest I could find anywhere else, with one exception. FREE SHIPPING! That was a $70 savings right there.

Melissa
08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Amazon seems to have everything!!

I needed a new electronic ignition for my boat, it currently has a crane cam fireball xr700, but crane cam got bought out and I have not been able to find the xr700 anywhere instock. I did find one left at amazon, so I snapped it up. It was even cheaper there ($107.58 including shipping) than anywhere else that had them on back order.

DETOURS
08-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I love it when girlz talk electronic ignitions........:headbag:

Jeep95XJ
08-27-2009, 10:43 PM
:rotfl2: The worst is when your vinyl covers are on and you hit the switch by accident!

Mudderoy
08-27-2009, 10:48 PM
:rotfl2: The worst is when your vinyl covers are on and you hit the switch by accident!

You ain't kidding. I can feel the heat coming off those lights from 6 feet away. :smiley-gen165:

BlueXJ
08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
You ain't kidding. I can feel the heat coming off those lights from 6 feet away. :smiley-gen165:

The vinyl ones have a very strong odor when the light is activated and they have not been removed. That is the reason I carry spares of the vinyl type, (to enjoy that odor)!!!

Mudderoy
08-29-2009, 07:17 PM
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeepnewkccovers.jpg