PDA

View Full Version : Speedo and tach just quit working

LizardRunner
11-08-2012, 08:32 AM
I replaced my instrument cluster a while back to fix a bad spedo problem. Every thing was great until yesterday. I got in the red lizard to go home and the tach and spedo are dead, nothing but lights, the other gauges are working just fine. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for the problem? Fuse? Relay? or something else?

I had this thing in the dealer shop for three days supposedly getting everything checked out and put right. I balked at their 850 dollar cluster replacement cost and got the one I have now from a buddy that was parting out a 2004 grand cherokee limited which is what I have.

4.3LXJ
11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
All I can say is to check the connection at the back.

LizardRunner
11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks Steve, I will do that too. I think it's one of those irritating electrical trace down issues. I always try to start with the easy things and work toward the hard ones. I'm hoping it will be either the fuses, a relay or that plug. If it isn't, it will probably be found in the column.

4.3LXJ
11-08-2012, 12:58 PM
I think you can rule the column out. The speedo and tack input will come directly from the ECU

LizardRunner
11-13-2012, 01:04 PM
final up date, this problem was caused by a wornout battery and bad cable ends at the wire connection. New equipment (battery and cable ends) installed and everything works just perfect now.