PDA

View Full Version : Back Hatch noise arghhh

jimwww
08-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Is anyone getting back hatch noise - loud rattling noise that changes as you drive - especially at idle (when warming up) then goes away from time to time. Then when I stop the jeep and turn it off.. cannot find any noise coming from the hatch. (It is like I have to get back there while driving to find out where it is coming from - which is not going to happen obviously)

It make a noise all the time - just different loudness - (does not matter about bumps)

If you have had this -what was the solution. THanks - I cannot stand the noise. :mad:

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 11:39 AM
How certain are you that it is the hatch?

I need to add another spacer to my tcase skid. The tcase taps it from time to time.

Before I replaced my cat and muffler, the pipe would touch the transmission crossmember and rattle occasionally.

jimwww
08-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Well I am not sure - but it makes a noise all the time - rare when it is quiet and as I press the accelerator it 'spins '' faster. It could be exhaust - I will have a look underneath to see the if the exhaust or anything else is loose - but the noise comes from the inside - I am pretty sure about it. Need someone in my rear seat as I drive to find it.
I am going to open the hatch and shove something it in like a box and drive around in the parking lot to see if it stops - it even does it at idle. I think that will tell me if it is the hatch latch or the hatch up against the body - but it sounds like it is at the back, inside at the bottom, center... argh.

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Well I am not sure - but it makes a noise all the time - rare when it is quiet and as I press the accelerator it 'spins '' faster. It could be exhaust - I will have a look underneath to see the if the exhaust or anything else is loose - but the noise comes from the inside - I am pretty sure about it. Need someone in my rear seat as I drive to find it.
I am going to open the hatch and shove something it in like a box and drive around in the parking lot to see if it stops - it even does it at idle. I think that will tell me if it is the hatch latch or the hatch up against the body - but it sounds like it is at the back, inside at the bottom, center... argh.

I have heard that the fiberglass hatches crack around the latch. Maybe that plate is moving around. Boy I sure am glad my hatch is metal.

jimwww
08-18-2009, 01:20 PM
UPDATE:
I found that where the xhaust pipe is the hanger is loose and I can make it make noise by moving it by my hand - may not be the back hatch at all.

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
UPDATE:
I found that where the xhaust pipe is the hanger is loose and I can make it make noise by moving it by my hand - may not be the back hatch at all.

Yep, yep, those noises are hard to pin point while you're driving. For the longest time I thought something was loose around my front driver's side wheel.

It wasn't the brakes, it wasn't the u-joint on the axle. It wasn't the wheel bearing assembly. I know because I replaced all of those. :S

It turned out to be a stretched chain in the transfer case! That was right under me, not in the front at all! :smiley-scared002:

jimwww
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Well I have now found (most likely) the noise in the rear, the noise in my overhead console (3/4 inch x 2 inch rubber pieces fixed that) and there is still a noise coming from behind my dash on the drivers side and I doubt I will be able to figure that one out. Sheesh! Ain't it fun owning a Jeep!

2 down one to go.
Then I only need a windshield (installed tomorrow), bushwackers, tires (going for the PRO-COMP deal going on right now - 4 for 3 price) and a radio - where there is a hole sitting right now. ;-D

Update: I think it is the back hatch again- ;-( - I will know better after I get the exhaust fixed.

AJ99
08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
dang i may have to check my exhaust hanger too then lol. Mine has a rattle while driving too...

jimwww
08-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Ok I have had it - how do i take that panel off the back of the hatch - all of it.. I'll even cut the speakers out ... grrr.. since there is a hole in the dash where my radio should be there will be no weeping.

Really - how do I take it off.

jimwww
08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Ok - pulled the whole thing off. Actually had to use a hammer (the other end) to get it started - then off. Found that there is a copper and plastic moving part at the other side of the push button (on the outside) that was loose. looks like it wears over time - now screw to tighten it soooo I took part of a cardboard box tripled it and wedged it in between the part that pushes the plastic and releases the hatch. It is snug now and I have to slam the hatch now to close it= but it is snug. I will give you all an update tomorrow to see if it stops all the racket. I really mean racket. Speakers are still there - lots of wiring back there as well.