PDA

View Full Version : Heavy gauge wire pass through 1997 XJ

thesupercroc
11-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Greetings,

I'm wanting to pass though the fire wall 2 3/8" wires for 12 volt power cables.
Is there any place that I can pass though with out drilling? or do I need to bite the bullet and put a new hole in the fire wall?

:xjtalk:

LizardRunner
11-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Those should fit through the existing holes, one I think behind the engine and one under or near the brake booster. I assume you are heading to the fuse block as to why your headed through the firewall.

4.3LXJ
11-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Are these for a sub or something like that?

thesupercroc
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Those should fit through the existing holes, one I think behind the engine and one under or near the brake booster. I assume you are heading to the fuse block as to why your headed through the firewall.

They will be fuzed near the battery bypassing the fuze panel all together.

Are these for a sub or something like that?

The wires will be for my ham radio gear and stuff.

4.3LXJ
11-07-2012, 08:28 PM
If yours is like mine, there is a place where there are wires going through the firewall near the accelerator cable. I have passed a number of extra wires through there.

4.3LXJ
11-07-2012, 08:29 PM
If one of those wires is a ground, use the unibody as long as it is grounded well with the strap off the engine

thesupercroc
11-09-2012, 02:09 AM
If one of those wires is a ground, use the unibody as long as it is grounded well with the strap off the engine

You can do that with some radios CB and a few Motorolas but not most ham radios.

bluedragon436
11-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Yeah I was going to say I slipped my power cables for my amp through the firewall using a grommet that was already there with a few wires, and have had no leaks what so ever since I installed it, and continue to check the wires, and have seen no chaffing or anything.. As soon as I get back stateside and can get a pic I'll try and get it up here for you...

Mudderoy
11-18-2012, 07:28 AM
You can do that with some radios CB and a few Motorolas but not most ham radios.

The reason why you run lines directly to the battery is to get the current for high power devices. Ham radios are generally in the 50 to 100 watt range and you'll notice dimming (or worse) when trying to transmit if using a "CB" style of hook up.

Personally if I'm going to run one wire from the unit to the battery I'd just as soon run two and be confident in the current handling capacity, however I can see what Steve is saying. There is a LOT of metal in the body and uni-body, so with a good ground to the block I would expect that to be a high current capably path.

4.3LXJ
11-18-2012, 09:39 AM
The reason why you run lines directly to the battery is to get the current for high power devices. Ham radios are generally in the 50 to 100 watt range and you'll notice dimming (or worse) when trying to transmit if using a "CB" style of hook up.

Personally if I'm going to run one wire from the unit to the battery I'd just as soon run two and be confident in the current handling capacity, however I can see what Steve is saying. There is a LOT of metal in the body and uni-body, so with a good ground to the block I would expect that to be a high current capably path.

True. But to be sure, on mine the body is grounded with a 00gauge cable. I think this is a must for any application like this.

xjzaped
12-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Old thread but I'll add my 2ยข. I ran 12 ga from the battery to under the back seat. Currently it's only to power a Anytone dual band but I made provisions to hook up either a low band Syntor or VX-5500/6500 that I'm thinking about remote mounting back there.

There are multiple reasons for why you don't ground radio equipment to chassis ground. The major one is if you lose your chassis ground strap on the battery, you still have a working radio.
Some weird things have also been known to happen such as shorts that caused starter current to flow through the radio which generally fries the radio and catches it on fire. Not a big thing when dealing with several hundred dollar CBs but when dealing with several thousand dollar commercial rigs, it's cheap insurance.

prerunner1982
12-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Greetings,

I'm wanting to pass though the fire wall 2 3/8" wires for 12 volt power cables.
Is there any place that I can pass though with out drilling? or do I need to bite the bullet and put a new hole in the fire wall?

:xjtalk:

On my 93 there was a plug on the passengerside firewall that I was able to pop out and pass wires through. I did have to put a grommet in there, but no drilling.