PDA

View Full Version : Cowl Induction Hood

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 10:07 AM
I received an e-mail yesterday saying that 4WD had 20% off site wide.

I went and checked the current price of the all steel cowl induction hood I want for my XJ.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=731800.jpg&partNo=RAP&jeep-parts=true&w=145&h=145

:link: (http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=RAP731800&jeep-parts=true)

If you have a store nearby there is no shipping charge, only tax. After tax it would cost me $289. I just can't spend any money right now, but one of you may be able to get it! I read on GOJEEP that this one mod will drop the engine bay temp up to 70 degrees.

Oh! BTW, don't order it online, it shows up as $411. Call the 877 number. I called to find out why the price was $411 on the site, they looked it up and gave me the $289 price and told me just to order it over the phone. I said, "Okay, thanks!" and hung up the phone. They called me right back! lol I didn't answer because I just couldn't figure a way to pay for it right now. They left a voice mail.

muddeprived
08-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I received an e-mail yesterday saying that 4WD had 20% off site wide.

I went and checked the current price of the all steel cowl induction hood I want for my XJ.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=731800.jpg&partNo=RAP&jeep-parts=true&w=145&h=145

:link: (http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=RAP731800&jeep-parts=true)

If you have a store nearby there is no shipping charge, only tax. After tax it would cost me $289. I just can't spend any money right now, but one of you may be able to get it! I read on GOJEEP that this one mod will drop the engine bay temp up to 70 degrees.

Holy crapola! That's cheap! Mudd, go buy it now, even if you don't have any money. Sell yourself or something....get that HOOD! It'll look sweet with your current setup.

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Holy crapola! That's cheap! Mudd, go buy it now, even if you don't have any money. Sell yourself or something....get that HOOD! It'll look sweet with your current setup.

Yeah I know it is. It's a great price. I have $4k in taxes to pay at the end of the year. My job may be coming to an end, in October. Time for the kids to go back to school, so clothes and supplies.

Also I have to have it professionally painted, and even though it's a friend of the family it will still cost me $150.

I think it would look neat too, but I mainly want it to let the heat out.

AND NO, I'M NOT GOING TO PUT SPACERS ON THE BACK OF THE HOOD, nor am I going to put vents in the middle of the hood. I'll just wait until I can afford this hood. ;)

kryptonitexj
08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
FYI its 4wp not 4wd two different sites.

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 11:37 AM
They are different sites, but they are the same company.

kryptonitexj
08-18-2009, 11:43 AM
OH got ya ;)

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
OH got ya ;)

So what's the off road capability "status" of your rig?

muddeprived
08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
They are different sites, but they are the same company.

and you can order any product from either site and pick it up at either store. :)

kryptonitexj
08-18-2009, 01:05 PM
My "Off-road status" is great. I just ordered a new Advanced adapter SYE on Friday just waiting for it to come in so that I can install it at my buddy's house in Katy soon. I'm going to use a front drive shaft for the rear as I have a D44 with LSD. I b-day is coming up at the beginning of September and I think my Girl friend is going to get me the Currie 1-ton steering!!!! But seeing the price on this hood I might ask for it instead. Hey Mudderoy when does the 20% off site wide end?

Mudderoy
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
My "Off-road status" is great. I just ordered a new Advanced adapter SYE on Friday just waiting for it to come in so that I can install it at my buddy's house in Katy soon. I'm going to use a front drive shaft for the rear as I have a D44 with LSD. I b-day is coming up at the beginning of September and I think my Girl friend is going to get me the Currie 1-ton steering!!!! But seeing the price on this hood I might ask for it instead. Hey Mudderoy when does the 20% off site wide end?

Dunno. Looks like I deleted the e-mail from them. I bet is says on the site.

jugbutt
08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
YepI see your point that jeep of yours is a bute!!

But I really like the vents. I found me a set and the guy at the junkyard said I had to buy the whole hood . He wanted 50.00 for it. So it's still there.I'm such a tight-waud!!!!

DETOURS
08-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I read on GOJEEP that this one mod will drop the engine bay temp up to 70 degrees.

Please dont believe everything you read, I realize it says "up to", but thats a pretty extreme claim. They are nice hoods though, that will infact help in the tempurature dept. if required.

Melissa
08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Muddy, why are you wanting to get a whole steel cowl induction hood?

Granted I have not checked prices in years, but my ex husband and I bought just the fiberglass cowl induction, he cut the hole, put it on and then had my suburban painted form roof down to the black on the two tone paint. When all was said and done, we were only into the cowl induction $200, while the whole hood was over $500.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/scan0002.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/scan0001-2.jpg

BlueXJ
08-19-2009, 08:35 PM
When I add that hood to the cart it goes up $99. WTF does that mean. I would drive to San Antonio to get it but not at over $400.

firehawk
08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
nor am I going to put vents in the middle of the hood. ;)

"what's the matter Col. Sanders....CHICKEN"!:D

JK, the cowl induction hoods look nice.:drool:

2000XJ
08-19-2009, 09:24 PM
That is a sweet hood, and I'd love to have it on my rigs too! However, I can't say that I completely believe that 70* decrease in under-hood temps. That seems a bit extreme, nearly 100 degrees just doesn't make sense. I wonder how and where they measured the temps.

Mudderoy
08-20-2009, 12:22 AM
When I add that hood to the cart it goes up $99. WTF does that mean. I would drive to San Antonio to get it but not at over $400.

You really need to pick it up at a store. Is there one near you? Also when I tried to order it on line, just curious about the final price, it went in as $411. I called and the price for pickup was $289, but I had to call in the order ON THE PHONE to get the price.

Mudderoy
08-20-2009, 12:24 AM
"what's the matter Col. Sanders....CHICKEN"!:D

JK, the cowl induction hoods look nice.:drool:

I don't like the look of either, although I think muddeprived came out pretty good. It is a waste of time anyway because I already have my mind set on the cowl induction hood.

Mudderoy
08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Muddy, why are you wanting to get a whole steel cowl induction hood?

Granted I have not checked prices in years, but my ex husband and I bought just the fiberglass cowl induction, he cut the hole, put it on and then had my suburban painted form roof down to the black on the two tone paint. When all was said and done, we were only into the cowl induction $200, while the whole hood was over $500.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/scan0002.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/scan0001-2.jpg

It came out very nice too, but that requires body work, plus the cowl is fiberglass whereas the hood is all metal. I'd have to put in a fair amount of time to get the cowl blended to the hood properly, just simpler to buy it already done.

Melissa
08-20-2009, 01:27 AM
It came out very nice too, but that requires body work, plus the cowl is fiberglass whereas the hood is all metal. I'd have to put in a fair amount of time to get the cowl blended to the hood properly, just simpler to buy it already done.

Is a steel cowl induction hood cheaper than a full fiberglass cowl induction?
Why stay with steel?, when fiberglass is alot lighter.

Just curious, fell free to tell me to zip it ;)

Mudderoy
08-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Is a steel cowl induction hood cheaper than a full fiberglass cowl induction?
Why stay with steel?, when fiberglass is alot lighter.

Just curious, fell free to tell me to zip it ;)

I don't know any more about it than you do, probably less since you've actually had experience with a cowl induction thingy.

Steel will bend, but it won't crack like fiberglass. Also I think it will take heat better. Really the bottom line is the body work. This is just paint and bolt on.

Who knows, after I get the steel cowl induction hood maybe I'll turn my stock hood into a cowl induction hood, or maybe put a radical hood scoop on it just for fun. Body work is easy if you know how, and I don't know how. With practice I can do anything though.

Melissa
08-20-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't know any more about it than you do, probably less since you've actually had experience with a cowl induction thingy.

Steel will bend, but it won't crack like fiberglass. Also I think it will take heat better. Really the bottom line is the body work. This is just paint and bolt on.

Who knows, after I get the steel cowl induction hood maybe I'll turn my stock hood into a cowl induction hood, or maybe put a radical hood scoop on it just for fun. Body work is easy if you know how, and I don't know how. With practice I can do anything though.

I was just searching for them online, holy cow!! they are expensive!! I'm with you now, get one that you just paint and bolt on!

I did find however cowl inductions that you just tape on your hood!! Now that seems to me...........uh............just not right :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Well I was checking the price on the cowl induction hood from 4wd.com and it's $427! No in store pickup any longer.

Actually I'm glad I didn't get it when it was $317 cause I'm going to buy a bolt on cowl induction scoop for about $100.

I'll cut some holes in the hood and cover it up with the scoop.

Summer time temps are coming back and I'm not going to battle the overheat thing. I just got to measure the hood and I'll order it.

To save a little more money, I'll paint the thing myself.

http://www.up22.com/scoopw1.htm#SC-114

http://www.up22.com/ImageslScoopsA/SC402opt.jpg

muddeprived
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Well I was checking the price on the cowl induction hood from 4wd.com and it's $427! No in store pickup any longer.

Actually I'm glad I didn't get it when it was $317 cause I'm going to buy a bolt on cowl induction scoop for about $100.

I'll cut some holes in the hood and cover it up with the scoop.

Summer time temps are coming back and I'm not going to battle the overheat thing. I just got to measure the hood and I'll order it.

To save a little more money, I'll paint the thing myself.

http://www.up22.com/scoopw1.htm#SC-114

http://www.up22.com/ImageslScoopsA/SC402opt.jpg

Hey Mudd, if you can, do a write-up on the scoop cuz I'm considering this mod as well. I saw a XJ with the same scoop and it looked completely BADASS!

Mudderoy
04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey Mudd, if you can, do a write-up on the scoop cuz I'm considering this mod as well. I saw a XJ with the same scoop and it looked completely BADASS!

Sure. Yeah I like the look as well, but my main concern will be to get the heat out. With this set up I should be able to cut holes in the front and the back. I'd rather have metal, but for a savings of $300+ I can live with it.

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Hey everybody I just installed my cowl induction piece. I am not real clear on how much cooler i will be running yet, but i think it will be enough. I bought mine from j.c. whitney for 60.00 it's hard plastic, i am comfortable with it. i usaed the 3m tape on it and i bolted it with 4 fine thread's. you have to be careful placing it or it will jam on your wind shield wiper's when you lift your hood. I installed it and masked everything off and spray painted it. I am fixing to see if i can use my cell phone to post my first picture's...:cool:

Mudderoy
04-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Update: I think the one I pictured would would, but the bolts/screws would be on the outside. I need to measure the Jeep hood but this has the flange inside so the bolts won't show.

http://www.up22.com/CowlScoopsA/sc-124A.jpg

muddeprived
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey everybody I just installed my cowl induction piece. I am not real clear on how much cooler i will be running yet, but i think it will be enough. I bought mine from j.c. whitney for 60.00 it's hard plastic, i am comfortable with it. i usaed the 3m tape on it and i bolted it with 4 fine thread's. you have to be careful placing it or it will jam on your wind shield wiper's when you lift your hood. I installed it and masked everything off and spray painted it. I am fixing to see if i can use my cell phone to post my first picture's...:cool:

Pictures or it didn't happen. :popcorn:

Mudderoy
04-05-2010, 03:00 PM

If you can please post the part number, or the link to the part. :popcorn:

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
I will try and find the part's # But what i did was pulled up j.c. whitney and typed in hood scoop's on the search box. They have many type's the one that you are looking for look's identical to a cowl induction piece.I should tell you that when i returned home today i felt the top of my hood and it was as i had not been driving it at all. But for the first time since last year i am running a little hot on my dash guage around 212 or 214. I don't know what is going on here.. But my engine temperature's may have gone up. I really can't make any sense oe it right now. I just know it was not running quiet that hot last year.

muddeprived
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I will try and find the part's # But what i did was pulled up j.c. whitney and typed in hood scoop's on the search box. They have many type's the one that you are looking for look's identical to a cowl induction piece.I should tell you that when i returned home today i felt the top of my hood and it was as i had not been driving it at all. But for the first time since last year i am running a little hot on my dash guage around 212 or 214. I don't know what is going on here.. But my engine temperature's may have gone up. I really can't make any sense oe it right now. I just know it was not running quiet that hot last year.

Mine runs about that hot when I'm in traffic or it's really hot out. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm considering this one.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-471500_w.jpg

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-06-2010, 05:32 AM
I think what is happening now is that everything is staying so cooled off that my fan clutch is not getting enough heat to operate as well therefore it is running a little hotter. All i have to do is stuff a towel inside to plug it up. and wait until the weather get's a little hotter. Right now the outside temp's are only in the high 70's and nearly 80. I bet if i work with this and the weather i can make it work , and most of that bad heat out of my hood.:smiley-laughing021:

muddeprived
04-06-2010, 07:27 AM

Does it come painted black?

96xj
04-06-2010, 09:27 AM

whats the brand and part # on this one

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 09:30 AM
whats the brand and part # on this one

Hell no! Then all you noobs will copy me. :smiley-laughing021:

Actually I've been thinking about it and I don't want that big fat lip that runs around the edge. They have one at that other site that I like better and it attaches to a lip that is on the inside of the scoop. It just 49" long and I need 37". I hate to have to cut it down to size, but I may have to do that.

This latest scoop is from Summit Racing, and it was $70 I think. It's black plastic.

:link: (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-471500/?rtype=10)

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SCOOP-GM7380-2T.jpg

Ok now I'm looking at this one. I need to do more measuring on my hood first. This one is a metal cowl induction scoop. The picture shows it mounted on a hood, don't know why. I'd just be getting the scoop.

It's 2.50" Tall X 33.75" Long X 53.50" Wide. I need to make sure that isn't too wide for my hood. The scoop is designed for a ...

Year: 1981-1987
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: C/K10,C/K20,BLAZER

As you may recall those vehicles were very square.

muddeprived
04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SCOOP-GM7380-2T.jpg

Ok now I'm looking at this one. I need to do more measuring on my hood first. This one is a metal cowl induction scoop. The picture shows it mounted on a hood, don't know why. I'd just be getting the scoop.

It's 2.50" Tall X 33.75" Long X 53.50" Wide. I need to make sure that isn't too wide for my hood. The scoop is designed for a ...

Year: 1981-1987
Model: C/K10,C/K20,BLAZER

As you may recall those vehicles were very square.

It's a little over 4 feet wide. Isn't the xj hood like 4 feet wide too? I think that's too big.

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 04:07 PM
It's a little over 4 feet wide. Isn't the xj hood like 4 feet wide too? I think that's too big.

Could be, like I said I have to measure the hood. Looking at the scoop on the Reflexxion it takes up most of the hood.

muddeprived
04-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Could be, like I said I have to measure the hood. Looking at the scoop on the Reflexxion it takes up most of the hood.

I plan to go to summit racing this week or next so I will ask them if I can test fit their scoops in stock. I'll take some pictures of each one on my hood so we can see what they look like.

This is only if I can get the damn axle back under the rig soon....

4.3LXJ
04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Mud, isn't that bad black Jeep rolling on its own yet?

muddeprived
04-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Mud, isn't that bad black Jeep rolling on its own yet?

Not yet. My skin can only take so much of the sun so I have limit my time out there. I would wear long sleeve shirt but too damn hot. Right now I'm red as an apple.

I got the new BJ's, U-joints, and bearings installed and now watching paint dry on my coils and stabilizer.

4.3LXJ
04-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Not yet. My skin can only take so much of the sun so I have limit my time out there. I would wear long sleeve shirt but too damn hot. Right now I'm red as an apple.

I got the new BJ's, U-joints, and bearings installed and now watching paint dry on my coils and stabilizer.

Maybe you should be covered in mud, like your avatar :D

Good thing you don't live here. Lots of hot weather and shirtless times. :eek:

Gets worse at high altitude. I used to live at Lake Tahoe a little above 6000 feet. I almost turned literally black one summer and I am really a dishwater blond.

We will just have to wait for you to finish

muddeprived
04-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Maybe you should be covered in mud, like your avatar :D

Good thing you don't live here. Lots of hot weather and shirtless times. :eek:

Gets worse at high altitude. I used to live at Lake Tahoe a little above 6000 feet. I almost turned literally black one summer and I am really a dishwater blond.

We will just have to wait for you to finish

Good idea except it's too dry to find any mud around. :( I can handle the sun but right now I'm white as a ghost from hibernating the past year and white+sun don't mix well.

BlueXJ
04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
How about some updated pics of that black monster Jeep mud??

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 10:27 PM

Yeah you're right. 32" is about as wide as I would want it. That's approx the width of the reflexxion scoop. The one that is $427 from 4wd.com.

4.3LXJ
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Muddy

I know you have your heart set on a metal scoop, but bear in mind you need a little flex in it to accommodate the curvature of your hood.

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Muddy

I know you have your heart set on a metal scoop, but bear in mind you need a little flex in it to accommodate the curvature of your hood.

There's a curve? Damn another thing to measure. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SCOOP-CV8293-2T.jpg

Ok this one is a little long...

Hood Scoop - 2.50" Tall X 41.50" Long X 29" Wide

2.5" I like, 41.50" XJ hood is 37 front edge to rear edge so 4.5" too long, but I think that could be trimmed pretty easy.

29" wide, and I was estimating 32". $79 and $45 for shipping.

Year: 1982-1993
Model: S10,S15

muddeprived
04-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Muddy

Maybe a little heat while it's semi-mounted will allow it to bend to shape? It might work to let the scoop sit out on the hood in the texas sun so it can be more pliable and bend to fit.

4.3LXJ
04-07-2010, 10:46 AM
There's a curve? Damn another thing to measure. :thumbsup:

The reason I brought the curve thing up is that if you put a rigid metal scoop on, it will make the flimsy sheet metal of the hood conform to it. The sheet metal is just laying on the cross members of the hood, not riveted or spot welded down. I noticed this when I put my fans in my hood. I had a slight deformation from the flat fan, but not bad since it was in only a small area.

xj4life2
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I know I know here's my redneck inginuity but if ya raise the back end of the hood a 1/2" it will act as a cowl induction and save ya the $300.00. just my .02

Mudderoy
04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I know I know here's my redneck inginuity but if ya raise the back end of the hood a 1/2" it will act as a cowl induction and save ya the $300.00. just my .02

That is an easy cheap option, but for me I don't like the way it looks. If I can find a $150 option that looks good I'll do it.

4.3LXJ
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
There is another issue with raising the back of the hood. If you get in a decent wreck and the front cowl is pushed back the hood will tear loose and be rocketed back through the windshield. Lots of people don't think about this, but I have seen stuff like this happen as a former firefighter. The hood needs something in back of it so it will buckle instead

Mudderoy
05-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Well screw it! Temps outside are in the low 90's and the Jeep temp gauge is already well past the 210 mark. Time to do something so I ordered a scoop!

http://www.up22.com/CowlScoopsA/sc-108A.jpg

About $110 shipped. It will just have to be a learning experience.

http://www.up22.com/ScoopGifsH/SC108optHa.gif

My measurements are
22 inches to 24 inches wide (this is 26")
2 inches to 2.5 inches high (this is 2.25")
37 inches long (this is 49" but trimming the back should be easy)

Everything else I'll just have to find out, or work through as I go. :sad0147:

muddeprived
05-21-2010, 07:07 AM
i'm keeping an eye on this. :thumbsup:

xjjeepthing
05-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Watching closely

Mudderoy
05-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Okay I'm starting to get nervous. A guy can't ahhh perform this way! :D

BTW, currently I am considering just bolting the scoop into place. Use some nice shinney bolts kind of like the way the bushwackers are installed. I need to have a look at the lip on the scoop first though. Push comes to shove I'll fiberglass/bondo it to the hood I'm just not looking forward to all that sanding.

Voldemort
05-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Okay I'm starting to get nervous. A guy can't ahhh perform this way! :D

BTW, currently I am considering just bolting the scoop into place. Use some nice shinney bolts kind of like the way the bushwackers are installed. I need to have a look at the lip on the scoop first though. Push comes to shove I'll fiberglass/bondo it to the hood I'm just not looking forward to all that sanding.

Hell if you are doing all that you should have just cut the hood were it rises and tack in a piece of steel than do the body work. But all body work is done with filler( what you call "Bondo" BTW do not buy "Bondo it is very porous and no matter how hard you try it always gets air bubbles in it). Either way bolted on, welded, or fiberglass you would have to use filler and sand.

4.3LXJ
05-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't think that would be Tony's style.

Mudderoy
05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Hell if you are doing all that you should have just cut the hood were it rises and tack in a piece of steel than do the body work. But all body work is done with filler( what you call "Bondo" BTW do not buy "Bondo it is very porous and no matter how hard you try it always gets air bubbles in it). Either way bolted on, welded, or fiberglass you would have to use filler and sand.

Well like I said I'll have to look at it, but if you've seen Bushwackers they are not attached to the body via anything but a piece of rubber and bolts. That is what I'm thinking I'll do with the cowl.

Voldemort
05-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Well like I said I'll have to look at it, but if you've seen Bushwackers they are not attached to the body via anything but a piece of rubber and bolts. That is what I'm thinking I'll do with the cowl.

Bush whacker Hood scoops??? No I have not seen them, but I have seen them done like that and it is not horrible if done right. It would work till you could do the work on it?:cool:

Mudderoy
05-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Bush whacker Hood scoops??? No I have not seen them, but I have seen them done like that and it is not horrible if done right. It would work till you could do the work on it?:cool:

lol if I think it looks good and will stay on it would be that way. If I don't think it will look good I'll buy another hood and fiberglass it to the hood. I'll work on it until I get it right, hence the "I don't look forward to all the sanding" :smiley-laughing021:

Voldemort
05-25-2010, 01:53 AM
lol if I think it looks good and will stay on it would be that way. If I don't think it will look good I'll buy another hood and fiberglass it to the hood. I'll work on it until I get it right, hence the "I don't look forward to all the sanding" :smiley-laughing021:

HAHA That is what a DA sander is for.:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
The scoop arrived!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/S_7_if3IOFI/AAAAAAAAAOU/bW_yyRf-zN8/s800/2010-05-27%2018.16.56.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/S_8FLkcNbyI/AAAAAAAAAOY/T85j1vZu8S8/s800/2010-05-27%2018.16.36.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/S_8Fl4FO4dI/AAAAAAAAAOc/41DyjmNLdmU/s800/2010-05-27%2018.16.21.jpg

I'll be cutting about 12 inches off the rear of the scoop.

4.3LXJ
05-27-2010, 08:11 PM

I hope so. Looks a little long. I had forgotten how short our hoods are compared to something like a Camaro

Mudderoy
05-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Well I was digging around on the Internet today, perhaps you've heard of it, in an attempt to see if I wanted to bolt or fiberglass this scoop to my hood.

I'm just going to have to fiberglass it. I won't be happy with any other look.

:link: (http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/body-paint-articles/466094-grafting-shelby-gt-scoop-1965-ranchero-hood.html)

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/attachments/body-paint-articles/160d1184634816-grafting-shelby-gt-scoop-1965-ranchero-hood-hood12.jpg

So my next item to purchase will be another hood. Are ALL XJ model years the same hood? I can look it up I guess. :sad0147:

Currently what I have in mind is fiber-glassing the scoop to the hood painting the hood to match the factory red then flat black on the sides of the cowl that says 242 CID, 4.0L or something like that. The letters will probably just be the factory red. Dunno...

4.3LXJ
05-28-2010, 01:25 PM
As far as I know they are with the exception of the 84-86 hoods and the hoods for the 2.5L. Just get one from a 45.0L and you will be OK

Mudderoy
05-28-2010, 01:35 PM
As far as I know they are with the exception of the 84-86 hoods and the hoods for the 2.5L. Just get one from a 45.0L and you will be OK

What is different about the 2.5L hoods?

Voldemort
05-28-2010, 10:28 PM
The scoop arrived!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/S_7_if3IOFI/AAAAAAAAAOU/bW_yyRf-zN8/s800/2010-05-27%2018.16.56.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/S_8FLkcNbyI/AAAAAAAAAOY/T85j1vZu8S8/s800/2010-05-27%2018.16.36.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/S_8Fl4FO4dI/AAAAAAAAAOc/41DyjmNLdmU/s800/2010-05-27%2018.16.21.jpg

Holy Huge Scoop Batman!!!:shocker::shocker: You may want to send it back and find something a little smaller??

Well I was digging around on the Internet today, perhaps you've heard of it, in an attempt to see if I wanted to bolt or fiberglass this scoop to my hood.

I'm just going to have to fiberglass it. I won't be happy with any other look.

:link: (http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/body-paint-articles/466094-grafting-shelby-gt-scoop-1965-ranchero-hood.html)

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/attachments/body-paint-articles/160d1184634816-grafting-shelby-gt-scoop-1965-ranchero-hood-hood12.jpg

So my next item to purchase will be another hood. Are ALL XJ model years the same hood? I can look it up I guess. :sad0147:

I have done one on a Camaro before it is not as bad as it looks, took me a day from start to primer.

BlueXJ
05-28-2010, 10:34 PM
I think 4.3LXJ thinks they are shorter but they have the same part number on my CD.

Indiana Jeep
05-29-2010, 06:37 AM
That hood is going to look SWEEEEET when you get it done!!

4.3LXJ
05-29-2010, 08:30 AM
What is different about the 2.5L hoods?

The difference is in how they latch. The 2.5 and 2.8 hoods have one latch in the center. The 4.0 hoods have two latches on the edges. I fabbed the latches in the edges for my hood, but it was a pain in the neck.

Mudderoy
05-29-2010, 09:27 AM
The difference is in how they latch. The 2.5 and 2.8 hoods have one latch in the center. The 4.0 hoods have two latches on the edges. I fabbed the latches in the edges for my hood, but it was a pain in the neck.

My hood has a latch front center. Metal rod held in place by two torx screws and the single hook type thing on the hood that grabs it.

4.3LXJ
05-29-2010, 09:32 AM
They must have changed somewhere along the line then. Of course I don't have access to late model XJs. They may have changed that in 96 then I guess. Prior to that there were two latches up at the forward corners.

Mudderoy
05-29-2010, 09:33 AM
They must have changed somewhere along the line then. Of course I don't have access to late model XJs. They may have changed that in 96 then I guess. Prior to that there were two latches up at the forward corners.

That sounds like a better set up. My Cherokee is the only Cherokee I've ever seen in detail.

4.3LXJ
05-29-2010, 10:59 AM
That sounds like a better set up. My Cherokee is the only Cherokee I've ever seen in detail.

Personally, I think it was a poor design. Which is probably why they went back to one latch.

Mudderoy
06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Well I decided that the cowl is going on the hood this weekend. I'm just going to paint the cowl flat black for now and bolt it on. I'll get the benefit of the additional cooling now. I've ordered the adhesive and flexible putty, so once that comes in I'll put in on and blend it into the hood, hopefully so it looks like it came that way from Jeep.

I should have some pictures up this weekend.

4.3LXJ
06-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Sounds good Mudddy. You won't miss all those extra degrees under the hood

xj4life2
06-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Can't wait, should look great !!!

Mudderoy
06-13-2010, 12:24 AM
First things first. Rene pointed out to me that I have the 2 latch hood. Wild animals never look up! The think in the middle front is the safety, duh!

I did some light sanding. I was just going to black primer it...
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRoZ31frPI/AAAAAAAAAQM/SgGnrGs88dg/s800/2010-06-12%2019.19.00.jpg

Cut it long and test fit.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRofBklzJI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/KUwMzWwHKB8/s800/2010-06-12%2019.33.53.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRoks7S5SI/AAAAAAAAAQU/fKd3CZ7adPE/s800/2010-06-12%2019.34.06.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRmvgnBtaI/AAAAAAAAAPY/PUl3djb_WN0/s800/2010-06-12%2019.34.17.jpg

Using a diner plate I drew two circles and connected them with straight lines.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRm3GuMh0I/AAAAAAAAAPc/IwyPYjBXBIk/s800/2010-06-12%2021.20.15.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRm9W08eyI/AAAAAAAAAPg/QCaMxzYqJws/s800/2010-06-12%2021.20.30.jpg

Cut it out!
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRnEpTno9I/AAAAAAAAAPo/16CPXVqlFTE/s800/2010-06-12%2021.32.13.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRnLNxIcUI/AAAAAAAAAPs/Beb4YtcRIbQ/s800/2010-06-12%2021.32.22.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRnSKJnMdI/AAAAAAAAAPw/kkkez_6vvOc/s800/2010-06-12%2022.16.15.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRnY5ca_YI/AAAAAAAAAP0/G7dVU8vVczI/s800/2010-06-12%2022.16.31.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TBRnhFztN9I/AAAAAAAAAP4/4IQMSqLDAsE/s800/2010-06-12%2022.16.45.jpg

I'm not thrilled with the way it looks, but it's ok for now. When the stuff comes in I'll be molding it to the hood.

I took it on a test drive and I didn't see any drops in temperatures. I may need to make the hole bigger. I have lots of room on the hood and under the scoop to do so.

When I got back from a 20 mile test drive I pulled up in the garaged and parked her. I put my hand at the back of the cowl induction scoop. There was a breeze from just the hot air that was moving out from the hood. Keep in mind the engine was off, nothing moving the air except the movement of hot air! I had my wife come feel it and she was amazed.

4.3LXJ
06-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Actually, I think it looks fine the way it is. Nice clean job.

Mudderoy
06-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Actually, I think it looks fine the way it is. Nice clean job.

Thanks. I'm happy with the way it looks for the modest amount of effort I put into it. Also I thought I'd make it easier for people to say what they thought about it if I indicated it wasn't all that good. Ya know what I mean? lol

I need to build a couple of supports in the back as the scoop opening has a tendency to droop in the middle back of the scoop. Should be simple. Also I'm going to get some rubber hose tomorrow and slice one side of it and run it around the scoop to make a border like there is on the bushwackers.

That should make it look more complete. I think once I get it molded in and painted red to match the rest of the jeep it will look much better though.

cantab27
06-13-2010, 12:58 AM
looks good mate nice job .... keep it black ...

Mudderoy
06-13-2010, 01:04 AM
Well I don't know what else to do for my running hot on the highway. I really think it is just a function of the 4.0L producing more heat that the cooling system can handle, at least keeping it down to 210 degrees.

If I turn off the A/C the needle gets pretty close to the 210 mark, so with the heat of the engine, transmission and A/C condenser it's just too much.

70 mph is 2800 rpm with 32" tires and 4.56 gears with my AW4 transmission.
80 mph is 3000 rpm.

60 mph is 2200 rpm and getting off the highway and driving a long back road at 60 the coolant drops to just above 210, and it does so pretty quick, maybe 5 minutes.

I could move the aux trans cooler out of the air stream of the radiator. Put it's own electric fan on it and mount it near the front grate of my bumper. That 13000 BTU cooler gets hot!

Adding dual 2950 rpm electric fans isn't going to solve my running hot issue on the highway.

One of my reasons for wanting to go to 35" tires, is to drop the rpm of the engine at highway speeds. Moving that additional weight will be harder on the engine, but I think with the 4.56 gears it shouldn't be too bad and once they are moving I think the coolant temps will drop.

Mudderoy
06-13-2010, 01:07 AM
looks good mate nice job .... keep it black ...

Thanks, but I'm a red kind of guy. :D

muddeprived
06-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Hey Mud, don't let the little results get to you. The hood scoops and vents don't really bring down the engine temperature much, if at all. The primary purpose of them is to release the hot air under the hood. If I leave my hood open while it's idling it still stays at 210 degrees. My jeep plus every other xj i've ever seen operates at 210 degrees, give or take 5 degrees so your jeep is operating normally. Also keep in mind that running larger tires, big lift, and all those heavy add-ons makes the jeep work harder, producing more heat. It doesn't help that it's probably hot where you live too lol. If you want to see drops in your temps, then aim for some electric fans that you can control with a switch cuz then you can leave them running to bring down the temps, instead of relying on the e-fan to kick on a little after 210.

But seriously, the scoop looks badass. Wait till it's painted and maybe use black hardware instead and it will look completely sick. I can't wait to see the final results.

Any chance we can get a picture from the inside of the jeep, showing the opening of the scoop? Are ya gonna put a mesh screen on the opening? Maybe ya can try taping little strings to the scoop's opening and see if the air is actually flowing in the scoop or not. It would be neat seeing exactly how the air is flowing while you are driving.

Mudderoy
06-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Hey Mud, don't let the little results get to you. The hood scoops and vents don't really bring down the engine temperature much, if at all. The primary purpose of them is to release the hot air under the hood. If I leave my hood open while it's idling it still stays at 210 degrees. My jeep plus every other xj i've ever seen operates at 210 degrees, give or take 5 degrees so your jeep is operating normally. Also keep in mind that running larger tires, big lift, and all those heavy add-ons makes the jeep work harder, producing more heat. It doesn't help that it's probably hot where you live too lol. If you want to see drops in your temps, then aim for some electric fans that you can control with a switch cuz then you can leave them running to bring down the temps, instead of relying on the e-fan to kick on a little after 210.

But seriously, the scoop looks badass. Wait till it's painted and maybe use black hardware instead and it will look completely sick. I can't wait to see the final results.

Any chance we can get a picture from the inside of the jeep, showing the opening of the scoop? Are ya gonna put a mesh screen on the opening? Maybe ya can try taping little strings to the scoop's opening and see if the air is actually flowing in the scoop or not. It would be neat seeing exactly how the air is flowing while you are driving.

Well according to my OBDII the temp is closer to 230 driving on the highway not 215.

It's too hot not to have the A/C on, at least driving around so that means the electric fan is on. I've been told time and time again that at highway speeds the fans do nothing. So electric fan shouldn't be the solution for this.

No, no plans to put anything over the hole that I cut.

Sure, actually I was surprised I didn't take a picture of the hood up.

I think the air moving around the hood and the cowl would overwhelm the air coming from the cowl. Although I like the string idea. I wanted to put my hand in there while driving several times last night. Damn that windshield!

muddeprived
06-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Well according to my OBDII the temp is closer to 230 driving on the highway not 215.

It's too hot not to have the A/C on, at least driving around so that means the electric fan is on. I've been told time and time again that at highway speeds the fans do nothing. So electric fan shouldn't be the solution for this.

No, no plans to put anything over the hole that I cut.

Sure, actually I was surprised I didn't take a picture of the hood up.

I think the air moving around the hood and the cowl would overwhelm the air coming from the cowl. Although I like the string idea. I wanted to put my hand in there while driving several times last night. Damn that windshield!

Your OBDII is showing 230 but what is the gauge showing on the dash? I may have missed that you mentioned it was in the 230's earlier in the post. I have to re-read through it all again.

When I'm on the highway, my gauge is saying 215. When I click on the e-fan, it drops 2-3 degrees, a notch or so, so I can say that the e-fans actually do help a little at speeds, not ALOT, but some.

You could maybe remove the entire hood and drive it (for shi$s and giggles) just to see if it makes any difference. I did this once with my wrangler and boy did people driving by look at me strange lol.

4.3LXJ
06-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Well I don't know what else to do for my running hot on the highway. I really think it is just a function of the 4.0L producing more heat that the cooling system can handle, at least keeping it down to 210 degrees.

I could move the aux trans cooler out of the air stream of the radiator. Put it's own electric fan on it and mount it near the front grate of my bumper. That 13000 BTU cooler gets hot!

Adding dual 2950 rpm electric fans isn't going to solve my running hot issue on the highway.

Tony

I will disagree a little on the fan. Like you, I have that winch in front of the radiator. I have noticed that my fans being on do make a difference of a few degrees operating temp. I think that is because of the amount of vacuum they pull (4000 cfm total) on the core behind the winch which is not getting the full benefit of the air at highway speeds. But I also found yesterday that I can't run the AC fan on high with the radiator fans. It exceeds the capacity of the stock alternator and the voltage drops.

4.3LXJ
06-13-2010, 10:15 AM
I need to build a couple of supports in the back as the scoop opening has a tendency to droop in the middle back of the scoop. Should be simple. Also I'm going to get some rubber hose tomorrow and slice one side of it and run it around the scoop to make a border like there is on the bushwackers.

Tony, You can get the same type of thing that the Bushwackers have at an upholstery shop that has the border and everything and slip it under the cowl. Should look real professional afterwards.

Mudderoy
06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeepcowlinduction1.jpg

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeepcowlinduction2.jpg

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeepcowlinduction3.jpg

96xj
06-13-2010, 10:51 PM
man that looks sweet , good job tony

alwaysxj
06-13-2010, 11:09 PM
look good... how much was that again and where did you get it again...

Mudderoy
06-14-2010, 01:31 AM
:link: (http://www.up22.com/)

$110 (aprox.) shipped.

BlueXJ
06-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Sweeeetttt!!!!

TeXJ
06-14-2010, 03:10 PM
so when are you going to update your avatar with the new hood redo?

Mudderoy
06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
so when are you going to update your avatar with the new hood redo?

Well it's not done yet. I have to bond it to the hood and sand the hell out of it then paint it red. Still debating if I'm going to stick 242 on the sides of the cowl. :patriot:

TeXJ
06-14-2010, 05:59 PM
I'd put 502 just to screw with people lol

4.3LXJ
06-14-2010, 07:32 PM
You could always put HEMI on it :D

Mudderoy
06-15-2010, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH4ZGucqkBY

TeXJ
06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
no if only ya wheeled the thing :D *poke* *poke*

xjjeepthing
06-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Nice, been looking at these myself

Mudderoy
06-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Well the glue came in today. Now I'm waiting on the "putty". Should be pretty easy getting it molded into the hood but all that sanding, painting checking for imperfections, sanding, etc...

Then I'll either paint it myself, or check with two people I know personally that have body shops. I'm still thinking about a black stripe down the side of the scoop with 242 CID (I think that is correct).

96xj
06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
i would just put 242 or 4.0 HO

4.3LXJ
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
4.0 HO sounds better.

Mudderoy
06-16-2010, 06:44 PM
The putty came in today. I think I have everything I need to blend it to the hood now.

Coolant temps are still running high. I took the IR thermometer outside to check the air coming out of the back of the cowl. It was 170 degrees. The windshield wiper was HOT!

I'm going to cut the hole bigger and add two small holes like where Spanky (I think) or 4.3XJ has theirs cut, just smaller so it will be under the cowl.

I'm glad the air doesn't start out that hot. I'd be afraid of breaking the windshield!

Mudderoy
06-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Termites!!!!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TB0ktZ2DFJI/AAAAAAAAAQc/r_wruzvpGYw/s800/2010-06-19%2015.11.44.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TB0lKI657mI/AAAAAAAAAQg/b5JF8UoH8wQ/s800/2010-06-19%2015.13.47.jpg

4.3LXJ
06-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Feeling a little exposed?

Mudderoy
06-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Feeling a little exposed?

The heat coming out of that hole is amazing.

cantab27
06-19-2010, 10:23 PM
its going to look good,,,, cant wait to see it finished.....

alwaysxj
06-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Termites!!!!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TB0ktZ2DFJI/AAAAAAAAAQc/r_wruzvpGYw/s800/2010-06-19%2015.11.44.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TB0lKI657mI/AAAAAAAAAQg/b5JF8UoH8wQ/s800/2010-06-19%2015.13.47.jpg
:shocker::shocker::shocker::shocker::shocker::shoc ker::shocker::shocker:
looks like the car thefts are not very good in texas... why not just pop the hood to steal parts...:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

TeXJ
06-20-2010, 09:59 PM
The heat coming out of that hole is amazing.

thats what she said... :drool:

Mudderoy
06-21-2010, 02:50 PM
The big a$$ed hole in my hood seems to have helped the morning drive however the needle stilll went above the 210 mark slightly before returning to about 210. The drive home will be a better test. 91 degrees currently.

muddeprived
06-21-2010, 03:02 PM
thats what she said... :drool:

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

reddragon72
06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Why are your temps so high? when I run my AC my temps never hit the 210 mark, and with the AC off they will hit 210, but once the AUX fan kicks in then the temps drop back down to norm in a few min. I used to have bad overheating issues, but I hit the junkyad and snagged rad off of a 1996 model with 21K miles and my temps are good to go now.

I will be putting it to the test this weekend at gen sams :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
06-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Why are your temps so high? when I run my AC my temps never hit the 210 mark, and with the AC off they will hit 210, but once the AUX fan kicks in then the temps drop back down to norm in a few min. I used to have bad overheating issues, but I hit the junkyad and snagged rad off of a 1996 model with 21K miles and my temps are good to go now.

I will be putting it to the test this weekend at gen sams :thumbsup:

I don't know. I've redone the entire cooling system including a 3 core all metal radiator. This is just another step.

TeXJ
06-21-2010, 06:59 PM
If mine is just to the right of the middle mark, I just chock it to being an XJ and it still runs fine.

Mudderoy
06-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Well I think I am starting to understand why hood vents don't make much difference in coolant temps. The holes are too small. I didn't notice a difference in the large pill shaped hole I cut. After expanding that dramatically I am now seeing a difference in my coolant temps. I would guess it is about 20 to 30 degrees cooler and the temp drops back down to about 210 much quicker.

I still have a running hot issue on the highway so I have more work to do. I think the cowl induction hood scoop was a good addition as I can see that off road it should make a big difference. I am concerned about winter though. I'm afraid that I may have a hard time getting the coolant up to operating temperature. I am thinking about putting a mechanical butterfly on the back of the scoop so I can close it off during cool weather. I don't think it will be a problem unless it is in the 30's out.

4.3LXJ
06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Muddy, it won't make any difference in the winter. The thermostat will take care of it.

Mudderoy
06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Muddy, it won't make any difference in the winter. The thermostat will take care of it.

Well I was thinking that would be the case, but it wasn't what I experienced this past winter, without the massive hole in the hood. It took a while for it to get up to the 210 mark when temps were in the 30's.

OrangeXJ
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
With in the next few weeks I'm going to try a diffrent coolant. Mine runs 210 all the time from what I've read this is normal but too high for my taste. For several years my son motocross raced ATV's at the pro level. As all racers we were looking for more speed. We reced a Honda TRX450r which had an electric fan on the radiator. We put the ignition system from the Honda 450r dirt bike on it but it did not power the fan so we took it off. ( Reason we switched ignition systems is the ATV system turned 7800 rpm and the dirt dike system turns 11,000 rpm ). We were constantly having over heating problems with standard coolants as the radator was always covered with dirt at the end of the race. Temps with the fan ran 200-210. With out the fan it was 210-230. We started using a coolant called Engine Ice and the temps stayed around 180-190 even with a radator covered up with dirt.The draw back to trying this in a xj is cost it's 20 bucks for a 1/2 gal 120 bucks to do a xj. I'm going to try it and post the results.

Mudderoy
06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
With in the next few weeks I'm going to try a diffrent coolant. Mine runs 210 all the time from what I've read this is normal but too high for my taste. For several years my son motocross raced ATV's at the pro level. As all racers we were looking for more speed. We reced a Honda TRX450r which had an electric fan on the radiator. We put the ignition system from the Honda 450r dirt bike on it but it did not power the fan so we took it off. ( Reason we switched ignition systems is the ATV system turned 7800 rpm and the dirt dike system turns 11,000 rpm ). We were constantly having over heating problems with standard coolants as the radator was always covered with dirt at the end of the race. Temps with the fan ran 200-210. With out the fan it was 210-230. We started using a coolant called Engine Ice and the temps stayed around 180-190 even with a radator covered up with dirt.The draw back to trying this in a xj is cost it's 20 bucks for a 1/2 gal 120 bucks to do a xj. I'm going to try it and post the results.

Very interesting! Boy not that would really hurt to spring a leak! Yes 210 is normal. My XJ ran a hair below the 210 mark from the day I drove it off the showroom floor. It started running above 210 after the modifications.

4.3LXJ
06-29-2010, 04:00 PM

So what is in this liquid gold?

OrangeXJ
06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Quoting from there jug " Engine Ice meets or exceeds the industry's standards of ASTM D5216. Engine Ice has also surpassed the most stringent tests including the most recent ASTM D3306 and D 4984. It also states that field testing in Southern Florida reduced temperature as much as 50 degrees.
As far as what's in it all they say is De-ionized water. All I know for a fact is it reduced temps in a extremely modified ATV. Weather it will work in a XJ remains to be seen.

4.3LXJ
06-29-2010, 06:00 PM
I accessed their website

Here is something off the website.

What is Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant ™, what makes it different?

Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant ™ utilizes a base fluid called Propylene Glycol. This base fluid has been proven to be relatively harmless to plants, animals and the environment, while being an excellent base fluid for an engine coolant. We take this non-toxic base, along with various inhibitors and dilute it with the most pure water possible, Deionized Water. How hazardous is regular antifreeze?

So, chemistry buffs, what this is saying is that instead of ethylene glycol, it has propylene glycol, some deionized water and some other additives to inhibit foaming and corrosion. OK, so what is this stuff? Propylene glycol is commonly used in many household products for things like "vegetable wash", a cleaning product for removing pesticides from the veggies. My opinion is that if this stuff works, it can be gotten much cheaper in its pure state and diluted down to a 50/50 mixture with distilled water.

4.3LXJ
06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
OK, on a roll here. Here is some other products

http://www.evanscooling.com/coolants/

http://www.two2cool.com/category_s/64.htm

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10

http://www.designengineering.com/catalog/thermal-chemicals

4.3LXJ
06-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Propylene glycol

Propylene glycol
Propylene glycol, on the other hand, is considerably less toxic and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze." It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes, as well as numerous other settings. It is also used in food, medicines, and cosmetics, often as a binding agent. Propylene glycol is "generally recognized as safe" by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in food. However, propylene glycol-based antifreeze should not be considered safe for consumption. In the event of accidental ingestion, emergency medical services should be contacted immediately.
Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat. When this occurs lactic acid is formed.[8][9] If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive.[citation needed] Protodin is added to propylene glycol to act as a buffer, preventing low pH attack on the system metals. It forms a protective skin inside the tank and pipelines which helps to prevent acid attack that cause corrosion.
Besides cooling system breakdown, biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts, the corrosion rate of the system increases. In systems where a glycol solution is maintained on a continuous basis, regular monitoring of freeze protection, pH, specific gravity, inhibitor level, color and biological contamination should be checked routinely.
Propylene glycol should be replaced when it turns reddish in color.

Mudderoy
06-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Propylene glycol

Propylene glycol
Propylene glycol, on the other hand, is considerably less toxic and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze." It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes, as well as numerous other settings. It is also used in food, medicines, and cosmetics, often as a binding agent. Propylene glycol is "generally recognized as safe" by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in food. However, propylene glycol-based antifreeze should not be considered safe for consumption. In the event of accidental ingestion, emergency medical services should be contacted immediately.
Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat. When this occurs lactic acid is formed.[8][9] If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive.[citation needed] Protodin is added to propylene glycol to act as a buffer, preventing low pH attack on the system metals. It forms a protective skin inside the tank and pipelines which helps to prevent acid attack that cause corrosion.
Besides cooling system breakdown, biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts, the corrosion rate of the system increases. In systems where a glycol solution is maintained on a continuous basis, regular monitoring of freeze protection, pH, specific gravity, inhibitor level, color and biological contamination should be checked routinely.
Propylene glycol should be replaced when it turns reddish in color.

That's interesting. My coolant from the factory was red and turned a muddy reddish brown color.

92warwagon
04-22-2013, 12:54 AM
I like it too!!!

LizardRunner
04-22-2013, 01:25 PM
http://www.chemworld.com/Types-of-Propylene-Glycol-s/1814.htm