PDA

View Full Version : A Very Horny Issue

_StationWagon_
08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Figured that title would get some attention here :D :smiley-laughing021: :rotfl2:

Anyway, Howler GT's recent thread about his "sick moose" got me thinking so I went "shopping". Scored a pair of loud-as-heck dual GM horns from the bone yard, and I plan on replacing my stock horns which are a bit hoarse. Now there are just 1 pair of wires coming from the GM horns, & I know they'll splice right into mine. But as we all know the XJ horns are singles, with separate wiring. So my question is: will the XJ single horn wiring support the dual horn setup or will I blow a fuse or something? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I am no good at wiring issues.

The new horns are about in the middle of my "To Do" pic below. Note the "V" bracket, & I want to keep them together. Thanks for your thoughts.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2753/plans.jpg

Mudderoy
08-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Very nice, however I think a little more thought and you might have come up with a more fitting subject title....

Class?

"Honk if your horny" :rotfl2:

You're going to have to find out what current rating of the horns are.

Voldemort
08-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Please take pics of the shackle bracket install. That is a mod I'm looking at also.

ol"blue
08-17-2009, 08:24 PM
You should be fine.

Howler_GT
08-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Lets see...

First, I won't make some off the wall comment about the thread title.

Second: There are XJ's that have TWO horns. Example: Mrs Howler's 91 Laredo has one horn on each side (behind bumper)

Third: The XJ horn fuse and relay can handle up to TWO horns. Do not install more than that as it is pushing the limits

muddeprived
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Please take pics of the shackle bracket install. That is a mod I'm looking at also.

What is the mod for? What does it do?

muddeprived
08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Figured that title would get some attention here :D :smiley-laughing021: :rotfl2:

Anyway, Howler GT's recent thread about his "sick moose" got me thinking so I went "shopping". Scored a pair of loud-as-heck dual GM horns from the bone yard, and I plan on replacing my stock horns which are a bit hoarse. Now there are just 1 pair of wires coming from the GM horns, & I know they'll splice right into mine. But as we all know the XJ horns are singles, with separate wiring. So my question is: will the XJ single horn wiring support the dual horn setup or will I blow a fuse or something? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I am no good at wiring issues.

The new horns are about in the middle of my "To Do" pic below. Note the "V" bracket, & I want to keep them together. Thanks for your thoughts.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2753/plans.jpg

Did you score that ACOS from the boneyard?

_StationWagon_
08-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Lets see...

First, I won't make some off the wall comment about the thread title.

Second: There are XJ's that have TWO horns. Example: Mrs Howler's 91 Laredo has one horn on each side (behind bumper)

Third: The XJ horn fuse and relay can handle up to TWO horns. Do not install more than that as it is pushing the limits
Yeah, my XJ does have 2 horns like wifey's. But since the wiring is separated that each side is supporting 1 horn each, I wondered about putting 2 horns where Chrysler intended1. Thanx for that bit 'o info about the fuse. So what do you recommend for the unused wires on the other side?

Very nice, however I think a little more thought and you might have come up with a more fitting subject title....
... such as, "Trying to Get Horny" or "Horny x2!" :D. My mind occasionally resides in the gutter. I didn't want to offend anyone.

I'll try, but most likely I won't be around when it's being done. I have neither the tools nor the technical knowledge. There's a huge thread on NAXJA though, pics & all. But that's another thread :).

Did you score that ACOS from the boneyard?
The answer to this also belongs in another thread. Please can we keep this on topic, if only for search purposes.
Nope, got the ACOS from a guy on NAXJA.
thx!

Howler_GT
08-18-2009, 03:22 PM
What would I suggest for the other side's unused wire?

Pull it back up into the engine compartment and leave it.

This can be funny on two different levels.

1st level: If sometime down the road you happen across this connector and forget what the heck its used for.

2nd level: If you ever sell your Xj and the next guy happens upon it. He will have NO CLUE what the heck the DAPO had that wire there for.

Voldemort
08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
It lowers your rear shackle mount by 1", but most important it makes the Upper rear shackle mount alot stronger.

I'll try, but most likely I won't be around when it's being done. I have neither the tools nor the technical knowledge. There's a huge thread on NAXJA though, pics & all. But that's another thread :).
Yea I have seen it I just wanted to see one from beginning to end. So you have not done any of your own mods? I mean I thought that it was a mild bolt on mod?

_StationWagon_
08-19-2009, 11:11 AM
It lowers your rear shackle mount by 1", but most important it makes the Upper rear shackle mount alot stronger.

Yea I have seen it I just wanted to see one from beginning to end. So you have not done any of your own mods? I mean I thought that it was a mild bolt on mod?
Well now that people insist on sending my thread sideways ... I have done many of my own mods: the rear flares, mirrors, t'fer case skid, bored TB, FIPK, all painting & cosmetic mods, wiper motor swap, speedo gears, "fabricate" bracket, wire & install third brake light ('92s had none), small stuff. But all suspension work was paid for. I don't even have a garage, I do the small stuff at a friend's, and they don't even have a work light.
I dunno if it's a bolt-on mod, haven't read the threads for that side of the technical info. Mild it isn't for me since the front might have to be brought up to speed & that involves spring compressors & stuff. Not really for me. I do more than most women I know anyway, and I'm cool wid dat.

DETOURS
08-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Im only here cuzz of the title, and the auther of such title...............
Was there a question involved?

:cheerleader:

Mudderoy
08-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Im only here cuzz of the title, and the auther of such title...............
Was there a question involved?

:cheerleader:

No she posted some sexually provocative pictures, and we had to remove them. I don't think anyone saw them though.

DETOURS
08-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh......okay.........I'm kool wid datt:cheerleader: