PDA

View Full Version : 01 Radio/speaker Questions

Eximius64
11-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a 2001 XJ 4 door 4 wheel drive and i want to upgrade the radio and speakers plus add a sub woofer in the mix. I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to figure out the stock radio and speaker specifications. I've looked all up and down google trying every combination of xj stock speaker/radio you could imagine. I also have a service manual for the truck my uncle passed down to me with the truck and still I am lost. My ultimate goal here is to upgrade the deck and add a sub-woofer giving me more bass. The deck i'm looking at purchasing has a 22-watt rms output x4 speakers. I don't want to put the deck in and smash the speakers with too much power and blow them. Would if be better if I just went ahead and upgraded the speakers? Any help is rly appreciated I'm at a stand still on where to go here...

bluedragon436
11-04-2012, 06:35 AM
You are fine going with that headunit, and depending on what shape the stock speakers are in, as well as what volume level you plan to listen to it on them, is how well they'll hold up to it. Another thing to think of is when you setup the new headunit you have to set it up to where the speakers don't pull all the bass, as especially for stock speakers they are not made to handle that much bass.... So if you can afford to I would replace the headunit and the speakers at the same time. Like on my XJ I replaced the head unit with a decent Pioneer unit, and replaced all the speakers with 3 way Kenwood 6 1/2" speakers and then added a decent powered subwoofer into the mix for just some bass, no window shattering bass, as this is all I was looking to add. You can pick up a powered sub unit like the Infinity Basslink II and it will work perfectly in the back of the XJ, I have a MTX unit that is similar but not as nice as the Basslink II, just the price was right and it works pretty nicely in the back of the XJ.

Eximius64
11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the advice, I ended up putting a 10 inch 400 watt kicker, 500 watt kicker amp and sent all of the output to the rear speakers. My front driver side is blown so it sounded unbalanced, I'm going to upgrade to some nice 6 1/2 door speakers next month but I'm think I might wire a second 4 channel amp as well, would you recomend a battery upgrade as well for the 500 watt amp I currently have installed?

NW99XJ
11-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, I ended up putting a 10 inch 400 watt kicker, 500 watt kicker amp and sent all of the output to the rear speakers. My front driver side is blown so it sounded unbalanced, I'm going to upgrade to some nice 6 1/2 door speakers next month but I'm think I might wire a second 4 channel amp as well, would you recomend a battery upgrade as well for the 500 watt amp I currently have installed?

Although you're going in the right direction with choosing a 4ch amp, I would highly recommend you take care of the speakers first. Once you DO get an amp, if you're still running stock speakers, it's going to sound like warmed over road kill in a tin can. The other concern I would look at is whether or not your deck has enough pre-amp outputs to support another four channels. Say for instance your deck (head unit) only has two pairs of outputs, (front & rear) and one of those, is already being taken up by your sub amp, a four channel amp is going to require more inputs than you have outputs for. You may be able to get away with splitting the signal, but you'll just be halving the line voltage, making the signal going to the amp 1/2 as strong going into each channel. Now if your deck has a sub-out and thats what you're using to send signal to your bass amp then you're on the right track and in the clear.

Another option would be to use JUST a four channel amp, (if for instance you DO only have two sets of pre-amp outputs on the deck) ...the rears would power the rear channel of the deck and be crossed over to run the sub, and the front channel would run all four interior speakers at a 2 ohm stereo load.
This is a very efficient way to use amplified power in a system of limited capabilities, and maximize performance.

Either way, before you amplify those speakers, swap them out. You'll be glad you did, and afterwards you'll be in the right position to utilize the power from an amp.

Good luck, hope this helps.

bluedragon436
11-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm just using a powered sub as it keeps the amp/sub together in a small package, and gives me just enough lows to make it sound good but not be too overpowering... I already replaced all my factory speakers with Kenwood 3 way units... and plan on picking up a 4 ch amp for those once I get my DW taken care of and have the money to spare.. I have a Pioneer HU that has three sets of pre amp outputs, that is one thing I always make sure my HU's have even if at that time I'm not planning on running a 4 ch amp... that way I always have the option to use later if I choose too... They usually don't cost much more than a lower end unit that only has two sets either.... Heck I'm on a budget so can't be spending too much on crazy stuff like a HU, and I am just wating to enjoy the sound, not looking for competition sound like some folks have to have.

NW99XJ
11-13-2012, 08:46 AM
you got the right mindset blue.... Good job!

bluedragon436
11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I've been installing HU's and full stereos systems in people's vehicles since I was 12, so lots of practice... Unfortunately I can't afford better components to mine, but at least I got a decent sound and am happy with what I got, and I can always upgrade from what I'm happy with right now to be even better over time..

Eximius64
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
yea i was thinking about the powered enclosures but i wanted alot of boom, it shakes my mirrors nice and pretty well vibrates the entire cabin, i love it. Unfortunately the stupid geek squad guy told me that I would be better off punching a hole threw my floor board to run the amp power wire because i wouldnt be able to snake it threw. So i did and my dad laughed hysterically at how stupid a plan it was because now my floor boards are going to rot out, any suggestions?

4.3LXJ
11-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Use a grommet if you haven't already. Seal the hole the wire is in. Clean around the grommet and then use spray undercoat on it. It comes in a can for stuff like this. In fact, do the whole underside of the Jeep while you are at it.

NW99XJ
11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
X2
Thats good advice.

bluedragon436
11-18-2012, 05:05 AM
yea i was thinking about the powered enclosures but i wanted alot of boom, it shakes my mirrors nice and pretty well vibrates the entire cabin, i love it. Unfortunately the stupid geek squad guy told me that I would be better off punching a hole threw my floor board to run the amp power wire because i wouldnt be able to snake it threw. So i did and my dad laughed hysterically at how stupid a plan it was because now my floor boards are going to rot out, any suggestions?

It is funny you say that... cause when I was talking to the intall guys @ BB, they recommended the same thing for the power wire for my powered unit... said it was the easiest and fastest way to run the wire into the cab... yeah took me like ten minutes all together maybe to run it thorugh a grommet that was in the FW already and into the cab to the cargo area and hook it into my amp... that is why I don't ever bother with those R-tards... and the sad thing is because of the few that are like that... everyone discounts all advice given from the install guys there... some of the actually are pretty knowledgable and experienced...

Joliet Johnny
12-19-2012, 08:51 AM
My FL speaker is on its way out. I plan to add a 4 channel amp and replace all 4 speakers using new wire for all. I want to add tweeters when I have the door panels off. Should I use the factory wiring from the headunit for them or run the wires off the amp. Also would I notice a benefit from adding rear tweeters? Very strongly considering component speakers.

NW99XJ
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
My FL speaker is on its way out. I plan to add a 4 channel amp and replace all 4 speakers using new wire for all. I want to add tweeters when I have the door panels off. Should I use the factory wiring from the headunit for them or run the wires off the amp. Also would I notice a benefit from adding rear tweeters? Very strongly considering component speakers.

Its not a good idea to run more than one set of tweeters, you're ears will bleed. OK not REALLY, but the sound produced will be tinny (tin like - overly metallic sounding), and waaay too crisp/bright. In other words....NOT BALANCED. Keeping the separates/component speakers in the front doors only, will create better imaging. Imaging is the sound stage of any given space. Think of listening to your car stereo like being at a concert. With the components up front this keeps the majority of the sound "up front" ...where you look 99% of the time when you're IN the vehicle. You wouldn't stand at a concert with your back to the stage, right?

Also, you dont want to just ADD a set of tweeters. These "add-on" tweeters some shops sell, are usually junk, come with an in-line choke, to limit the frequency, and usually have horrible frequency response.
Stay away from the ad-on tweeters....you'll thank me later!

Component speakers are the way to go for several reasons.....
1.) they're a matched set, and complement each other's frequency range.
2.) they come with a dedicated cross-over, specifically designed for THOSE speakers, ensuring the RIGHT frequencies are going to the proper component.
3.) said crossovers give you proper adjustment for tweeter location. (they allow you to attenuate (soften) the amount of signal going to tweeters mounted in higher locations.
4.) they're generally made better, and sound better than coaxial speakers, and almost always can handle more power.

Component speaker sets CAN work well enough off of the power supplied by the stereo. However they work much better when amplified.
The stock wiring is good enough to supply signal to the crossovers.
What is usually done is the crossovers (about the size of a deck of cards, or slightly bigger) ....are mounted INSIDE the doors, I like to wire them up, and zip-tie a plastic bag around them. From the amp you'll run a set of wires up to where the deck (stereo) is, and tie into the factory wiring there.
(be sure to pay attention to polarity here. If your speakers are wired out of phase, they will not sound very good, and the response will be less than normal!)
You CAN take your wires directly to the doors, but this is a little more work, especially if you opt to keep the crossovers inside the cab. This will force you to run TWO sets of wires into each door.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

k.mikes94
03-14-2013, 04:55 AM
what size are the stock speakers? front and rear

Brasscatz
03-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Stock speakers in mine were 5.25 all 4 corners

joshuahabib
04-30-2013, 08:49 PM
well i had to hack the crap out of my dash to fit this dvd player in my 93 :out:

4.3LXJ
04-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Looks OK from here

Brasscatz
04-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Looks good buddy. That thing have Navi?

joshuahabib
04-30-2013, 10:56 PM
no nav in this one, this was a trial run with a used head unit. thanks still got to fab a nice cover for it.

RRXJeeper71
10-06-2013, 10:39 PM
would everybody please post some pics of their stereo systems
I want to see what you all have and am looking at upgrading my 2001 system with new fr/r speakers and subwoofer. I just purchased a really nice Kenwood KDC-X597
It has everything I wanted in a HU
I am debating about a powered sub system or separate sub and amp and BEST location for SUB

Brasscatz
10-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I can post pics later, but I can tell you that I went with Walmart 5.25 4-way speakers and I'm not impressed. I also have a decent amp and 10" sub, but they don't bump too much. I'm not interested in turning my Jeep into a night club, just to be able to hear my music over the road and jeep noise :D My amp is screwed to my sub box and that is behind my back seat. A lot of people use that little cubby in the back and convert it to a sub mount. And if you're going to upgrade your speakers, I suggest going to a 6" set instead of 5.25.

XJ Wheeler
10-07-2013, 01:57 AM
Totally agree with going with the bigger door speakers. Mine are Pioneer 5.25" and really leave a lot to be desired.

But my Pioneer 760w amp and Pioneer 1200w 12" Champion series sub pick up the slack. :D

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/stormy/75083d1320646829t-my-92-xj-laredo-stormy-forumrunner_20111107_002025.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/stormy/88861d1326927686t-my-92-xj-laredo-stormy-forumrunner_20120118_170122.png

But again, i would have done things differently. 2 10" subs sounds much better from what I've seen. My brother runs a 400w and and 2 10" mtx subs and it blows mine away.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
10-07-2013, 10:56 AM
I have 6.5" Pioneer 2 way door speakers and 6X9 3 way speakers in the back. Music is decent I think, although I don't have a sub or really need one for the music I listen too. But the Sony deck I have allows you to turn up the base and it will bump a little. The speakers in the back I think are what make it a good system.

cpttuna
10-07-2013, 09:32 PM
And I thought I was going high tech when I grabbed 3 stock speakers off a 99XJ at the JY for $10.00.

RRXJeeper71
01-02-2014, 09:50 PM
my fl speaker is shot, bought new Rockford Fosgate 5.25 seperates for the rear speaker/sound bar and buying Polk Audio coaxials for the front
Thinking about a JL audio 10-12 sub and amp kit, too!

sbspence
02-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Q-tec has an XJ specific selection of Sony head units even the most expensive one with App support and blue tooth is only $159 and comes with a proprietary plug and play wiring kit. They also have the sub enclosure for the cargo area that you can get with or without the sub. Does anyone know anything about this set up? I don't think I need an amp or even want to take up precious space with one. Also what are good upgrades for the front doors? I have the infamous door speaker not working issue and figure I may as well replace the things while I'm in there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
02-02-2014, 12:47 PM
You can get some 6.5" round speakers in there. Depends on the mounting plate on the speaker

NW99XJ
02-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Q-tec has an XJ specific selection of Sony head units even the most expensive one with App support and blue tooth is only $159 and comes with a proprietary plug and play wiring kit. They also have the sub enclosure for the cargo area that you can get with or without the sub. Does anyone know anything about this set up? I don't think I need an amp or even want to take up precious space with one. Also what are good upgrades for the front doors? I have the infamous door speaker not working issue and figure I may as well replace the things while I'm in there. :)

Ok, so first off, stay away from anything "proprietary" ... the most any jeep would need to put ANY deck in the dash would be a dash kit (to go from the din-and-a-half opening to a single din opening) ...a wiring harness (to go from the Jeep wiring to stripped wire ends that would mate with the head units harness) ...and in some cases an antenna adapter. Thats it.
This gives you the option to use pretty much what ever deck you want.
Secondly, ...in order to run ANY sub, you need to have an amp. There is no head unit on the market that has an amplified subwoofer output. The sub-out on any deck is a low level output used to supply audio signal to an amplifier.
The cubby enclosures that fit into the recess in the passenger side of the cargo area are a nice way to add some "low fill" by adding a sub to your system and not sacrifice much cargo room. They dont have a ton of output, even with a good sub and amp, just because of the lack of airspace really. This isnt an issue for most people that decide to go with this option. Otherwise your only other option is a dedicated enclosure (sub box) for the sub(s) of your choice... the sky's the limit here.
Now, as far as the rest of the speakers... you get what you pay for. The front stage (doors) are going to be where you want to focus most of your speaker budget on. This is where you sit, and where most of the listening happens. The rear stage is typically what we call rear-fill... as it is just there to fill in the rear stage of the vehicle's soundscape.
6.5" speakers CAN be fitted into any of the stock XJ locations with a little bit of modifications. Sometimes a spacer ring would be required, or some cutting of the sheetmetal.
As to brand preference, again, you get what you pay for. Stay away from lesser brands, or something that offers 1000w handling for $20.
Stay away from brands like BOSS, Audiobahn, Rockwood, Legacy, Crunch, etc...
Brands like Infinity, Focal, Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, JL Audio, Kenwood, JBL, Rockford Fosgate, etc... are all good brands that will offer a "good-better-best" line of options for you to choose from.
My NUMBER ONE PIECE OF ADVICE...... Go and listen to some speakers... have the salesmen play YOUR kind of music (bring a CD or a jump drive or even an ipod/mp3 player) ... have them play different speakers thru a deck from the same manufacturer as the one you have. (doesnt have to be the same stereo - although that would be ideal) .... Do not let them play it thru an amp, as this will alter the sound from what you will hear after the installation. Use your ears to determine what sounds best to YOU.
Granted things will ALWAYS sound a little different inside a vehicle than when at a store, but this will give you an idea of what to expect.

sbspence
02-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks! Exactly the advice I was looking for. Went with Pioneer 5.25" for now and stayed with the Pioneer head unit that was in it. I has decent tunes and a lot of other pressing needs so that'll do for now Donkey. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joliet Johnny
05-30-2014, 01:06 AM
I know this works in other areas so maybe on car stereo? Would replacing the factory speaker wire with thicker wires do anything? I think it would be most noticeable in the rear. Im thinking about upgrading my fronts with Alpine SPS-610C and leaving the Infinity mystery model in the rear (dont have the premium audio package), but Im replacing the headliner before that so if there is a chance to add wires or make them better I'd like to do that with nothing in the way.