PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 - My Rolling Review

Mudderoy
10-27-2012, 03:58 AM
I was in chat this morning (Friday) and another member mentioned that Microsoft was selling Windows 8 for $40. Finding this curious, I looked into it.

I found that by purchasing online I could upgrade my laptop from WinXP Pro to Win 8 Pro. I took the plunge. I was thinking about spending $200 for Win 7 Pro anyway, so why not?

My initial reaction is IT'S CRAP!

Now after spending a few hours loading the old applications, etc... I now have a more mature opinion. :D

It is easy to see that Microsoft is not only blending the desktop/laptop with the tablet, they are also blending with the 40"+ TV in your living room.

The interface is more akin to Android with applications that you can easily install and use. Much more eye candy than substance. Basically Microsoft is going the way of Android and Apple.

You still have the desktop, which looks very much like a Windows XP, 7 desktop minus the Start button.

I see this as a fundamental change in how we will be doing computing. We really are seeing the melding of anything with a screen having a universal interface.

I firmly believe that the XBOX, or a replacement, will have the same interface and you'll be able to use hand motions to select and work the applications on your living room Microsoft run computer.

junglejuice
10-27-2012, 04:20 AM
I must admit I am a windows 7 fan but I gave 8 a run and found it to be annoying, it really seems to aimed more at tablet users then desktop users, I ditched it and went back to 7, it will take something pretty special to make me convinced that I need to "upgrade".
It also seems that the past is alive and well in that every second release is a good one and I put 8 in with ME, Vista and 98 as opposed to 7, Xp and 98Se....

JJ

bluedragon436
10-27-2012, 04:29 AM
I sit here typing this on my Droid tablet, so I guess I can't complain about the tablet layout part... Might have to see if I can still get this cheap upgrade option for my computer as soon as I get home next month just to give it a wirl.... but if nothing else I'll go back to my Win 7 Professional that I picked up on the cheap... I plan to run Win 7 on my HTPC I want to build once I get back home, since all the apps/programs that make HTPC's work are either setup for 7 or Linux OS's, and my new lapto has Windows 7, so might as well keep all the computers running the same OS..

Dredwolf
10-27-2012, 08:55 PM
I sit here typing this on my Droid tablet, so I guess I can't complain about the tablet layout part... Might have to see if I can still get this cheap upgrade option for my computer as soon as I get home next month just to give it a wirl.... but if nothing else I'll go back to my Win 7 Professional that I picked up on the cheap... I plan to run Win 7 on my HTPC I want to build once I get back home, since all the apps/programs that make HTPC's work are either setup for 7 or Linux OS's, and my new lapto has Windows 7, so might as well keep all the computers running the same OS..

I do IT "stuff" for a living (:out:) and will delay on going to 8, at home or at work. Let someone else be on the bleeding edge.

Everyone expects us IT people to have the latest and greatest, but I like for my stuff to work when I need it, and I play with stuff when I have time or its raining. 8 is interesting, but when you have upper management that has iPhones, iPads, ultrabooks and now they want Windows 8 because its "cool", it makes you want to :bang:.

I like 7, Vista reminded me of BOB (see who remembers THAT disaster), XP was very good, and W2K was a good NT desktop for "regular" users. We'll see where 8 ends up.

Brasscatz
10-28-2012, 10:26 PM
I still run XP on my laptop and my computer. My company uses XP in all my stores as well. I fear that it won't be long before MS forces me to upgrade.

junglejuice
10-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Ironically my workplace only upgraded to WinXp about 2 yrs ago, they don't like to rush things, we still even have machines running on Win2k.

By the way I work for an extremely large company here in Australia that has something like 20,000+ employees....

JJ

89Laredo
10-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Nt 5.0 ftmfw!

I run server 2003 x64, vista 32/64, and win 7 x64 at home.

After sp1 there was nothing wrong with vista.
I hate xp.

Dredwolf
10-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Nt 5.0 ftmfw!

Hard to disagree with that one....I was part of a JDP with Microsoft for an Enterprise early adoption....my team and I wrote a good number of the KB articles for W2K through our sincere efforts to break everything possible. :D

Mudderoy
10-29-2012, 08:13 PM
I still run XP on my laptop and my computer. My company uses XP in all my stores as well. I fear that it won't be long before MS forces me to upgrade.

Windows 7 is a good upgrade to WinXP

msmoorenburg
10-30-2012, 06:26 AM
I installed windblows 8 and it took about 20 mins before I said this is crap. Reinstalled Ubuntu 12 and back to a happy world!!!!

Mudderoy
10-30-2012, 07:56 AM
I installed windblows 8 and it took about 20 mins before I said this is crap. Reinstalled Ubuntu 12 and back to a happy world!!!!

After 20 minutes I was right there with you on that opinion. A little more playing around and now I see what they are doing. Someone said Windows ME and I think they may be right.

junglejuice
10-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Bloody hell Windows Me was bad, unstable, poor networking then I discovered Win2k, stability.....

JJ

Mudderoy
10-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Bloody hell Windows Me was bad, unstable, poor networking then I discovered Win2k, stability.....

JJ

Well I guess what I'm saying that from Win 98(se) to Win ME there wasn't much difference, except the balance in your checking account went down a little. :D

Right now I'd say it's like Windows 7 without the $200 price tag, $40 ain't bad even if it's the 32 bit version.

Joliet Johnny
10-31-2012, 10:48 PM

I stopped using Ubuntu when they forced Unity on us and it locked my system.

Tony you should have watched the youtube reviews even the Microsoft fanboys were saying things like "I would kill anyone who tried to install this on my machine."

Mudderoy
11-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I stopped using Ubuntu when they forced Unity on us and it locked my system.

Tony you should have watched the youtube reviews even the Microsoft fanboys were saying things like "I would kill anyone who tried to install this on my machine."

I'm fine with Windows 8. Like I said the desktop isn't any different that what Windows people use now, it's just missing the Start button, and there are already 3rd party apps that add the start button. For $40 it's a cheap upgrade!

Maybe I'll change my mind as I start using it in a "work" environment, but I think this amounts to Microsoft's attempt to get into the tablet/smartphone, etc... game.

bluedragon436
11-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Was trying to research online is this upgrade only available in 32bit OS?? I guess for shit's and giggles I'll try to see if I can upgrade my hacked copy of 7 on my desktop at home.... not a big deal if I don't like it and want to go back... I'll just do a fresh install of 7 on one of my smaller spare HD's and see how it goes as far as if it will work or not, and if it does if I like it... If I manage to like 8 then I can always upgrade the primary HD 7 install that I have...

RTPG
11-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I've been playing with Windows 8 on my 22" touch screen since late August and at 1st I didn't like it... but after I spent some time with it I am liking it more and more. It's amazing how fast you can do stuff with the touch screen. I rarely touch my mouse and keyboard unless I am coding.

It's way faster so far as well, but that is typical for new machines with not much installed on them yet.

I love the ease of application and web development on it. The new Visual Studio is pretty awesome. I might stop using Dreamweaver soon. :D

Bad thing is... I keep trying to touch the screen on my other computers and laptops now. :crazy:

I even have Office 365 on it and it's pretty cool as well and that's saying allot since I am not a big fan of Office since the mid to late 2000's but that is a whole new topic.

Oh yea... it's already integrated with XBOX 360 and the new Windows 8 phones. It's going to be seamless real soon.

Mudderoy
11-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Yep touchscreen is going to be the future. I had to break down and install a 3rd party app that put the start button back on my desktop. :(

Apparently they have been around for awhile since some people haven't liked the start menu changes in Vista, and Win 7. Classic Shell is the name and you can select XP, Vista, or Win 7 style start menus.

RTPG
11-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Yep touchscreen is going to be the future. I had to break down and install a 3rd party app that put the start button back on my desktop. :(

Apparently they have been around for awhile since some people haven't liked the start menu changes in Vista, and Win 7. Classic Shell is the name and you can select XP, Vista, or Win 7 style start menus.

I just added a PIN to my desktop on the Window 8 tile/startup page. Then on the desktop I have my favorite icons/shortcuts.

Do you find Windows 8 faster??

bluedragon436
11-09-2012, 05:59 AM
I have been using a Droid tablet for the last couple of weeks and I will say that I love the touchscreen option, I figured out touchscreen doesn't work on my netbook... (but I keep trying)... Makes me want to pick up a touchscreen monitor for my computer at home... (maybe once I get the XJ all buttoned up). I will have to say from what I've seen about Windows 8 online I would think that the touchscreen might make it a better option, as it is setup more like a tablet that would have a touchscreen anyways.. I still think I'm going to do the upgrade to my computer if I can still do it on the cheap.. At least I know how to be able to add a start menu now..

RTPG
11-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I have been using a Droid tablet for the last couple of weeks and I will say that I love the touchscreen option, I figured out touchscreen doesn't work on my netbook... (but I keep trying)... Makes me want to pick up a touchscreen monitor for my computer at home...
:mock: :mock: :mock:

I thought I was the only one touching my non-touch screens since Windows 8 came out. :D

:happy0180: :happy0180: :happy0180:

bluedragon436
11-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh no, I've been trying to do it to my Vista netbook like for scrollig web pages and clicking on links.. I can only imagine how much worse my touching a non touch screen will be once I do try 8 out though!!

Mudderoy
11-14-2012, 10:01 AM
So slowly I am getting my Windows 8 back to a Windows 7-ish environment.

The START screen is pointless!!

I feel that desktop/laptop users are being forced into a tablet/touch screen environment. I understand that tablets and touch screens are the future, however I don't understand why I as a customer have to jump through hoops to make the desktop back the way I had it.

I would be VERY simple for Microsoft to have the START screen but let you choose to start to the desktop and have the traditional start button, quick launch, etc.... blah blah blah.

Windows 8 works very nice and it is every bit as good as Windows 7. For $40 I have saved $160 at least from upgrading my laptop to Win 7 Ultimate. I just wish that in the meetings at Microsoft they have given in to keeping the Start button and let people on tablets and touch screens migrate to the start screen as they felt comfortable doing so.

4.3LXJ
11-14-2012, 10:12 AM
They are just trying to keep up with Apple Tony :D

Mudderoy
11-14-2012, 10:27 AM
They are just trying to keep up with Apple Tony :D

Very true, they are making computing easier, appealing the masses. Actually it's a great strategy in as much as if you can buy a computer for 1/3 the cost of an Apple and have a very easy interface, just like Apple, well soon there won't been any Apples.

Or at least the Apples won't be 3 times the price. It's a win/win for the consumer.

4.3LXJ
11-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Apple has been pushing the idea of "synching" devices for some time now. Not sure what Micorsoft is doing about it. But the plan is to make the computer and smartphone or tablet like one device constantly updated. So a photo you take on the phone ends up on the computer automatically, and stored on Apples servers etc. I am sure Microsoft will come up with the same thing

Mudderoy
11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Apple has been pushing the idea of "synching" devices for some time now. Not sure what Micorsoft is doing about it. But the plan is to make the computer and smartphone or tablet like one device constantly updated. So a photo you take on the phone ends up on the computer automatically, and stored on Apples servers etc. I am sure Microsoft will come up with the same thing

Dunno, I suspect so. I mean FireFox does it with their browser.

bluedragon436
11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah there will be Apples, just not so damn expensive any more... finally!! I love that firefox syncs all your info with all your devices if you so choose.. works great for me especially when I am constantly switching between home and the road.. I don't have to think about whether I copied my latest bookmarks or not...

Mudderoy
11-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah there will be Apples, just not so damn expensive any more... finally!! I love that firefox syncs all your info with all your devices if you so choose.. works great for me especially when I am constantly switching between home and the road.. I don't have to think about whether I copied my latest bookmarks or not...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VSvDBphzpkU/UKOW6OmW4KI/AAAAAAAAH0s/3BkP4tBrVuQ/s1600/difference%2Bcoffe%2Bicoffe%2Bapple.jpg

Sorry about the idiot thing, but the rest of it I thought was pretty accurate...

bluedragon436
11-28-2012, 06:06 AM
After getting back stateside and playing with a touch screen laptop that had 8 on it... I wasn't very impressed... I think I'll stick with 7 on my computer.. especially since it isn't touch screen..... YET!!

Mudderoy
11-28-2012, 06:27 AM
After getting back stateside and playing with a touch screen laptop that had 8 on it... I wasn't very impressed... I think I'll stick with 7 on my computer.. especially since it isn't touch screen..... YET!!

Yeah, I see NO reason to move from Win 7 to Win 8. Now Win XP to Win 8? Sure, for $40 and on a laptop. :D

bluedragon436
11-28-2012, 06:42 AM
I guess I'll be purchasing my laptop online... since the ex sold the one I just bought while deployed before I even got it... adn I don't really want an 8 laptop.... all I could find at local stores was laptops with 8, and I'd rather stick with 7 for now..

Brasscatz
11-28-2012, 07:12 AM
That's low. That's really low. You were so excited about that laptop, too. I'm sorry James... That's not cool of her at all.

bluedragon436
11-28-2012, 07:34 AM
That's low. That's really low. You were so excited about that laptop, too. I'm sorry James... That's not cool of her at all.

Yeah I was pretty pissed when I found out about it being sold...especially since it was my money spent to purchase it, and I didn't see any money come back from that sale either... hell, not only that but after being gone for three months, I came home to only $250 until payday, and no bills taken care of as I was told they would be... so yeah... I was even more pissed when she told me she sold the laptop...

gajeepguy
11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Havn't used windows 8 Personally. I have extensively used XP, Vista, and 7. I'm also an avid Linux user, and it seems that everyone is going the way of the "Tablet" interface these days--including my beloved Linux. I miss the classic look of Windows 95/98/2k and even XP as well as the classic Gnome interface. Now it's "Unity" which is much like the Windows 8/Tablet style intterface.

One of my newish netbooks runs Windows XP Pro and will until the day it no longer works.

Unfortunately Windows XP is considered Legacy software these days, but if I could someone manage to get it installed on my Inspiron I would in a heartbeat. Windows 7 was a huge step-up from Vista and my wife enjoys using it. Me, I just wont be satisfied unless I have to open up a command line, so all the fancy bloat is useless to me.

That being said I probably will not upgrade to Windows 8 although I'm sure my wifes next laptop will be loaded with it.

Does anyone here remember BeOS and the BeBox? Now there's an OS I wish had never met its end, but that's another story.

Mudderoy
11-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Havn't used windows 8 Personally. I have extensively used XP, Vista, and 7. I'm also an avid Linux user, and it seems that everyone is going the way of the "Tablet" interface these days--including my beloved Linux. I miss the classic look of Windows 95/98/2k and even XP as well as the classic Gnome interface. Now it's "Unity" which is much like the Windows 8/Tablet style intterface.

One of my newish netbooks runs Windows XP Pro and will until the day it no longer works.

Unfortunately Windows XP is considered Legacy software these days, but if I could someone manage to get it installed on my Inspiron I would in a heartbeat. Windows 7 was a huge step-up from Vista and my wife enjoys using it. Me, I just wont be satisfied unless I have to open up a command line, so all the fancy bloat is useless to me.

That being said I probably will not upgrade to Windows 8 although I'm sure my wifes next laptop will be loaded with it.

Does anyone here remember BeOS and the BeBox? Now there's an OS I wish had never met its end, but that's another story.

I'll see you BeOS and raise you a CP/M :D

bluedragon436
12-07-2012, 01:29 PM

I love running Linux on my computers.. I usualy try to run it as much as I can, I had it installed on my old desktop and used it all the time only used Windows when I wanted to play my online games. I have Vista on my netbook, and will keep it that way, except when I switch to the Linux HD I have for it.. I run 7 on my current desktop, and plan to run it on my HTPC when I get it built, as well as one of the latest Mac OS's.. I have played with 8 at the electronics stores, and although it does seem decent on a touch screen... it is annoying on any other computer and I don't really think the pros outweigh the cons... then again I haven't really heard of or seen any pros either... LOL

Mudderoy
12-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Well nothing has changed on my laptop running Windows 8. I use it M-F at work and drop it into the docking station on the weekends.

I have it doing all the same stuff it was doing before, same software loaded, etc... It reminds me much of Win 7. I never go to the start screen, or use any of the "app" type programs.

Comes up in the desktop and stays in the desktop. FU Microsoft. ;)

redneck999
07-21-2013, 11:51 PM
I made the jump on my laptop from vista to 8 and held off on the desktop and god am i glad. Hated it, it didn't like playing well with my anti virus and liked to kick out my connection. Dicked around for a month with it and finally went back, fortunately brother in law is a programmer/ repair. I still remember windows 2.0, hell i even had a Radio Shack TRS-80 (trash-80) and huge floppys.

prerunner1982
07-22-2013, 09:44 AM
I hate Windows 8 on my laptop.....

Mudderoy
07-22-2013, 09:45 AM
I hate Windows 8 on my laptop.....

Honestly about 99% of the time I see no difference between Win 8 and Win 7. The things that are different aren't different bad.

I forgot to mention Win 8.1 is supposed to be coming out soon to resolve many of the complaints people are having about Win 8, like the Start button for one. :D

redneck999
07-22-2013, 11:15 PM
That was my wife and I first bitch was the start button.

Infidel Edition
07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
It takes some getting used to...
I had been running an experimental XP64 OS since before the standard XP was released. Major PITA at first, but once I got used to the changes, I learned to make it work better for me than any other windows based program.
Jumped from XP64 to a free copy of Windows 7 (still 64 bit / got it as a student) and didn't notice any difference other than some driver issues.

My laptop came with 8 ~ and I dumped it for 7 real fast as it annoyed me. And I run PCLOS as an alternative boot...

But since, I've started using 8 on my home entertainment system. It is basically just Windows 7 in a more piecemeal setting.
And once you get used to the logistics (shut down / navigation / etc), it's not bad.

It was obviously focused on tablet / phone users though.

bluedragon436
07-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Yeah I ended up getting a touchscreen laptop from my father, and it isnt' too bad on the touchscreen... basically keeping similar to a tablet.. but I tried running it on my desktop... and all I got to say is I am glad I had a spare HD to set it up on, so all I had to do was swap out HD's to go back to my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit... that I am running on my main desktop as well as my HTPC...

prerunner1982
07-29-2013, 03:08 PM
One.. main gripe that I have is that when I double click on a picture (by accident) it opens the picture up it opens up some viewing program. I have not found an X to close the program. When I go back to whatever I am doing if I move the cursor too fast the screen will switch to the picture viewer that is still running in the background.
This is on a non touch screen lap top and to get back to the program I was using I have typically have to move the cursor to the other side of the screen, then I try moving the cursor back to whatever I was going to click on and it will do it again. Eventually I have to move the cursor soooo slow so that it won't flip me back to the picture.
For one how do I close the stupid picture program and 2nd how do I make it stop flipping between programs just from using the touch "mouse" pad at a certain speed/direction?

If I right click on a picture from my camera or thumbdrive or whatever and click preview picture I get a program I am use to with the minimize button and X button and the ability to save, print, etc.... and I have no problem with that. But if I double click the picture by accident this other program opens to view the picture and then it haunts me until I restart.

Mudderoy
07-29-2013, 03:10 PM
One.. main gripe that I have is that when I double click on a picture (by accident) it opens the picture up it opens up some viewing program. I have not found an X to close the program. When I go back to whatever I am doing if I move the cursor too fast the screen will switch to the picture viewer that is still running in the background.
This is on a non touch screen lap top and to get back to the program I was using I have typically have to move the cursor to the other side of the screen, then I try moving the cursor back to whatever I was going to click on and it will do it again. Eventually I have to move the cursor soooo slow so that it won't flip me back to the picture.
For one how do I close the stupid picture program and 2nd how do I make it stop flipping between programs just from using the touch "mouse" pad at a certain speed/direction?

If I right click on a picture from my camera or thumbdrive or whatever and click preview picture I get a program I am use to with the minimize button and X button and the ability to save, print, etc.... and I have no problem with that. But if I double click the picture by accident this other program opens to view the picture and then it haunts me until I restart.

The APPs which is what I think you're talking about... I'd like to disable completely. Pointless! This is a computer damn it not some stinking smart phone or cheesy tablet!

prerunner1982
07-29-2013, 05:01 PM
The APPs which is what I think you're talking about... I'd like to disable completely. Pointless! This is a computer damn it not some stinking smart phone or cheesy tablet!

Exactly...