PDA

View Full Version : can someone flex their rear springs and check something?

muddeprived
08-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Can someone do me a favor? If anyone has a 4 or 5 inch lift, could you go flex out the rear and check the rear springs to see if they look like a "W" ? I have 5" lift in the rear that consists of 2" HD OME leaf springs, two OME AAL's, and 2" RC shackles. When I flex just a little, the springs invert a little to the shape of a "W". I'm trying to bumpstop them so the tire stops about 1" from the fender but if I do this, the springs will be inverted like this when flexing. In order for me to keep the springs from inverting, I need to extend my bumpstop 7". This doesn't seem right cuz that means hardly any flex at all.

Is it ok to invert the springs a little when flexing? I don't see how you CAN'T invert them cuz cherokee's come with somewhat flat leaf springs and any uptravel inverts them. My old man emu springs are not arched alot, but they do have an arch to them but not enough to keep them from inverting when flexing.

What did you guys do with your 5" rear springs? I need to set up my bumpstops before this weekend's big trail ride.

Primo
08-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Can someone do me a favor? If anyone has a 4 or 5 inch lift, could you go flex out the rear and check the rear springs to see if they look like a "W" ? I have 5" lift in the rear that consists of 2" HD OME leaf springs, two OME AAL's, and 2" RC shackles. When I flex just a little, the springs invert a little to the shape of a "W". I'm trying to bumpstop them so the tire stops about 1" from the fender but if I do this, the springs will be inverted like this when flexing. In order for me to keep the springs from inverting, I need to extend my bumpstop 7". This doesn't seem right cuz that means hardly any flex at all.

Is it ok to invert the springs a little when flexing? I don't see how you CAN'T invert them cuz cherokee's come with somewhat flat leaf springs and any uptravel inverts them. My old man emu springs are not arched alot, but they do have an arch to them but not enough to keep them from inverting when flexing.

What did you guys do with your 5" rear springs? I need to set up my bumpstops before this weekend's big trail ride.

I only have 2 inches of lift and mine do the same thing. Also it did the same thing with the stockers befor I added the add a leaf. I kinda thought it was a problem and was hoping the add a leaf would fix it, but it didn't so I have decided it is normal. ?????? EH?