PDA

View Full Version : Jeep may shift production to China

Judge89
10-25-2012, 03:30 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/jeep-an-obama-favorite-looks-to-shift-production-to-china/article/2511703#.UImgcWejLTq

Carves
10-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Sounds like the media is doing its usual trick of printing a bunch of stuff, formatted in such a way so as to cause concern amongst the readers. :bang:

Who knows what fiat/chrysler are doing in reality ...

... but the way Ive read various articles on the chinese production - indicates that the o/seas sales expansion of the "jeep" brand - just means that chinese factories may be producing "licensed" versions of all jeeps, for sale in that area .... instead of just a coupla models like they have in the past.

Most countries round the world have built "jeeps" at one stage or another ... Even we did CKD back in the AMC days ... and India still does the CJ3 doesnt it ???

Now I might be wrong .... but I dont think the statement below is really suggesting that US production plants will be shutdown ??

In a Bloomberg interview, Jeep's president said the automaker plans to restore Jeep production in China, suspended in 2009, and is considering making all Jeeps in China. "Fiat SpA, majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers' operations in the region," reported the business wire service.

Will be interesting to see what shakes out in the wash .... Maybe Aust. delivered jeeps will have .... made in china .... stickers on the tailgate ??

.... but all that aside ... I'm all for any media coverage - that shows politicians in a bad light ... :D:D:D

prerunner1982
10-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Carves, I agree with you. Licensed Jeeps have been made in China for awhile, was not aware they were suspended though.

07Negative
11-06-2012, 11:04 PM
There was a spokes person from Chrysler that has commented on these fails reports. This originated with Republican rhetoric.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-accuses-romney-massaging-facts-jeep-ad-163135243--election.html
Sorry for the source linked above. But I've seen it in other media source.

cpttuna
11-11-2012, 08:45 PM
I live near toledo. It was on the local news here quite awhile ago that jeep was spending like 300 million on the toledo plant for retooling and new paint area for the new jeep model and that they expected about 1100 new jobs to be created.

92warwagon
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Well said!