PDA

View Full Version : High Lift Jack - Before I get a flat.

Mudderoy
04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok so I replaced the AAL springs with full leaf springs. For some reason my floor jack wasn't working, so I broke out the stock bottle jack from the Jeep.

Houston, we have a problem. I really had to hunt for a place to put that jack so I could get the Jeep up high enough to get the wheels off.

Now this was on solid level ground. I really don't look forward to changing a flat in the woods, mud, or on the side of a highway.

I really need to get a bigger jack.

I was recently reading an article about the high lift jack. The guy said a 48" was good for a stock SUV but he recommended the 60" for a lifted larger tired vehicle.

I thought I MIGHT find a place to put the 48" high lift, but I'm afraid the 60" would have to be mounted outside.

So my question is this. I know the high lift is the way to go for off road, but given my space limitations in cargo area, should I get something that isn't a high lift?

If I had a rack I'd just mount it in the case like xjjeepthing did, but if I do get a rack, that will be a ways down the road.

xjjeepthing
04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I have some pictures if I can find them of really kool interior mount

muddeprived
04-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I never use the hi-lift to change my tires. It's only for extraction purposes and lifting the vehicle off logs and stuff. It's just too unstable for me to trust changing a tire with it. My tj tipped over twice cuz of it but luckily the tires were on. The standard bottle jack works great as long as you have a couple cinder blocks. I carry four 2" cinder blocks everywhere I go for the jack.

I don't think you have the need for a 5 foot high jack. I've used the 48" for years and it's plenty tall enough for a tj with 4" lift and 33's. If it works for a tj, it would definitely work for an xj.

DETOURS
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
:rotfl2:.......:rotfl2:.......a freakin Hi~Lift is hardly safe at 4' , let alone at 5'.....thats crazy....

Your 4' Hi~Lift fits under your back seat with the foot removed......(centered,low,out of the weather & secure)

I'll tell ya what I use for maintanance/street use......4x4" block of wood 12" long....stock bottle jack & a decent cordless drill. Cut the blade off a large, straight edge screw driver leaving it about 10-12" long, grind 3 small flat areas into the cut edge - matching the chuck of the "DECENT" cordless drill and insert........place bottle jack on block of wood, insert straight edge driver into bottle jack receptical, pull the trigger with your cordless drill set on low and watch your wheel RISE INTO THE AIR! ;)

Been doin it for years.....enjoy!

(also works with other vehicals, trailers, and tite-wadds!)

muddeprived
04-03-2009, 01:46 AM
:rotfl2:.......:rotfl2:.......a freakin Hi~Lift is hardly safe at 4' , let alone at 5'.....thats crazy....

Your 4' Hi~Lift fits under your back seat with the foot removed......(centered,low,out of the weather & secure)

I'll tell ya what I use for maintanance/street use......4x4" block of wood 12" long....stock bottle jack & a decent cordless drill. Cut the blade off a large, straight edge screw driver leaving it about 10-12" long, grind 3 small flat areas into the cut edge - matching the chuck of the "DECENT" cordless drill and insert........place bottle jack on block of wood, insert straight edge driver into bottle jack receptical, pull the trigger with your cordless drill set on low and watch your wheel RISE INTO THE AIR! ;)

That is just too freakin cool of an idea. Me gonna try. :D

Mudderoy
04-03-2009, 01:47 AM
That is just too freakin cool of an idea. Me gonna try. :D

Yeah, he's always thinking. Kind of scary actually. ;)

Mudderoy
04-03-2009, 01:48 AM

I know this goes contrary to you hard core jeepers out there, but my back seat has an infinity amp under it. :boohoo:

Otherwise a good idea.

DETOURS
04-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I know this goes contrary to you hard core jeepers out there, but my back seat has an infinity amp under it. :boohoo:

Otherwise a good idea.

Mount the amp to the ceiling.........:out:

To fix a flat, the last thing you want to use is a High~Lift, your much better off jacking up the axle to lift the tire, it's faster and safer.

_StationWagon_
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
48" hi-lift jack mounted inside XJ. No special equipment necessary.
You can thank me later. :D

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3250/hilift.jpg

Mudderoy
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I can thank you now.

:thanx:

xjjeepthing
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
I didnt want mine mounted inside. I was afraid it would become a 60lbs projectile

BlueXJ
04-08-2009, 06:38 PM
What have you got the top bolt secured to the "C" pillar? Is it welded in place? Looks like that jack has seen some hard use.

DETOURS
04-08-2009, 08:13 PM
What have you got the top bolt secured to the "C" pillar? Is it welded in place? Looks like that jack has seen some hard use.

BWAHAHAAAA........."hard use?".........Personally I feel they're better off "never ordered" unless you're going to use it for recovery........the two times I did need mine on a trail.......I had to drive OVER it cuzz I was high centered on a rock base................and night wheeling......snapped a winch cable in a swamp.....slept there.....recovered the next morning with the hi-lift tie'ing knots to it with the broke cable......:boohoo:

Item really isnt intended for flat swapping.........

Mudderoy
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah I'm glad I asked. I'll just get a larger "regular" jack for now and worry about the recovery gear later.

BlueXJ
04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah I'm glad I asked. I'll just get a larger "regular" jack for now and worry about the recovery gear later.

Hope later is not too late!!

_StationWagon_
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Who me? Hard use?
I've had the jack about 2 years, bought new at a PA Jeeps show from the Quadratec booth. Never used it.

It's not welded or bolted in any way except what you see. I used some washers as spacers and turned the handle tight enough that the top of the jack was digging into my headliner. Then I got my 6'5" brother to rock the XJ using only the jack as leverage. It's definitely not going anywhere. I figure if a 31" tire is secure there, a li'l ol' jack would be fine. They weigh about the same.

DETOURS
04-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Pretty typical......they dont get used a bunch, more or less 4wheel~drive BLING in many cases.......in other words, "dump"........I've always said as long as someone else has one, mine can stay behind!!!

Dog Pile,9 outta 10 times!:rolleyes: (my 2 yickyackpattywhacks)

BlueXJ
04-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Nice, now if I can find that butterfly nut thingie. Then I have to relocate my second fire extinguisher.
Ah I'll just leave it on the Surco but you do have to oil it everytime you use it being mounted outside like that.

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 05:27 AM
BWAHAHAAAA........."hard use?".........Personally I feel they're better off "never ordered" unless you're going to use it for recovery........the two times I did need mine on a trail.......I had to drive OVER it cuzz I was high centered on a rock base................and night wheeling......snapped a winch cable in a swamp.....slept there.....recovered the next morning with the hi-lift tie'ing knots to it with the broke cable......:boohoo:

Item really isnt intended for flat swapping.........

Been in both of those situations except I didn't sleep overnight but instead we dug and dug and dug in pitch black till we got it out :) I always end up driving over my hi-lift and it's still in good working order today. Those things are built tough. I even used it as a ramp to get up on this HUGE rock. I was surprised it didn't bend.

I know alot of people say they would rarely ever use the jack and not a good investment but I think of it this way: if a fire extinguisher is a good thing to have, then a hi-jack is too. Both could rarely, if ever, be used but it's one of those things that you would end up wishing you had when you need it.

_StationWagon_
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Same thing goes for a spare tire

_StationWagon_
04-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Pretty typical......they dont get used a bunch, more or less 4wheel~drive BLING in many cases.......
Hardly "bling" when no one sees it but you :p
But seriously, here's my philosophy ... if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have none. Rather have it & not need it ... well, you know the saying.
A winch on the other hand ...

BlueXJ
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Winches are nice to have and can save your Jeep but they can get you into trouble as well. You must practise with them or a HiLift before getting on a trail in the middle of nowhere and putting them to their first test.

_StationWagon_
04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
True dat. .

2000XJ
04-24-2009, 01:05 AM
I carried a 60" Hi-Lift for a while (got it for free), and it was always a hassle to carry around with me, not to mention, the additional weight in the vehicle. I decided to get rid of it and I got a 12 ton bottle jack instead. The 12 ton raises the XJ on 33's plenty high to get a tire off and on, get jackstands under the axles and/or framerails, etc. It's also nice and compact and easy to strap down since it's got a handle on it that you can thread a ratchet strap through. This plus a block of wood and you'll be golden on the trails for any repairs.

muddeprived
04-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Winches are nice to have and can save your Jeep but they can get you into trouble as well. You must practise with them or a HiLift before getting on a trail in the middle of nowhere and putting them to their first test.

They get you in trouble by boosting your confidence x 100, enabling you to get stuck 3x more than usual.