PDA

View Full Version : My $400 '95 XJ

jdel
10-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Hello all,

This is the beginning of what will hopefully turn out to be an interesting build. I was put in a position to pick this Jeep up for really cheap, and I had no idea that it was in the condition that it is in.

I want everyone to keep in mind that I'm a car guy, but when I say that, I literally mean cars (and bikes)... for example:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7180710249_c586671760.jpg

That's my car and bike. I have very little experience (if you want to call it that) with any type of off-roading, wheeling or anything of the sort so bear with me as I may ask a ton of questions if you provide me any feedback.

All that being said, here's what I'm looking at to start with:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8470/8091895080_eec59405ec.jpg

It's a 95 Cherokee Sport with something like 280000 miles on it. 4.0L HO engine, I believe the AW4 Auto trans, Dana 30 front and I have no idea about the rear. Sorry for the crappy picture, but it was raining all day today and I was busy working on the interior. The plan as of right now is a 4.5" lift and some different wheels/tires. I have no idea how I'm going to about doing any of it, and that has created both a feeling of anxiousness and a feeling of being lost because I know nothing about this vehicle. I honestly don't even know where to start so the first few posts will probably be just me posting pictures of stuff I have to fix from the previous owner. I am using this forum and a few others for a lot of my information and have already done quite a bit of crawling to figure things out and have an idea of how to move forward with this project.

XJ Wheeler
10-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey Justin, congrats on the score!

In my opinion the first thing to do is go through the fluids, ignition, bushings, etc. Basically get it functioning and performing safely and reliably so you can be happy with it and have a good base for the build you choose. Although, be sure to account for whatever mods you have planned, such as, don't change the rear axle fluid if you're swapping it out.

Welcome to xjTalk.

Brasscatz
10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Welcome aboard, Justin! You got a great deal on that thing! I'm excited to see the progress!

jdel
10-15-2012, 08:03 PM

In my opinion the first thing to do is go through the fluids, ignition, bushings, etc. Basically get it functioning and performing safely and reliably so you can be happy with it and have a good base for the build you choose. Although, be sure to account for whatever mods you have planned, such as, don't change the rear axle fluid if you're swapping it out.

Welcome to xjTalk.

Thanks for the feedback. According to the guy that sold it to me, he had all fluids (t-case and transmission included) flushed during last winter. Right now I'm going through the wiring because the owner before him installed a CB radio (since been removed, but the wires are still there), remote start and keyless entry and now the instrument cluster fuse blows everytime the power comes on. I'll have some pics of the mess tomorrow, I just didn't get a chance to take any today due to the weather.

samori
10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Nice find I also found a 400 $ xj yours is in better shape but I have pics. I am in the same boat I know nothing about jeeps I played with cars for years now on to the new toy,

jdel
10-16-2012, 10:28 AM
I have some pics of the wiring mess but I have a quick question. Is there an easy way to get to the main harness without removing the dash? The previous owner hacked into the harness for the keyless entry and remote start and it is in a spot where it's difficult for me to even see what they did.

jdel
10-16-2012, 10:33 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8094033192_f8819412ec_n.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8464/8094029203_2256cf8570_n.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8467/8094030271_1555a5e133_n.jpg

4.3LXJ
10-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Justin, it might be better for you to remove the instrument cluster. Six screws I believe and reach up and disconnect the speedo cable. Then unplug the wiring and you can get to that stuff from the top. If you have cruz control, you can take the speedo cable loose at the fire wall, which is easier.

jdel
10-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Justin, it might be better for you to remove the instrument cluster. Six screws I believe and reach up and disconnect the speedo cable. Then unplug the wiring and you can get to that stuff from the top. If you have cruz control, you can take the speedo cable loose at the fire wall, which is easier.

I currently have the instrument cluster out entirely. The harness is pushed up behind the light switch and it appears that the previous owner hacked into the harness somewhere up behind that switch. It's at the point now that the dash may have to come out.

jdel
10-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I am 99% done with removing all the old wiring. What a mess though! They had a wire being ground on the instrument cluster itself I think. A purple wire with white stripe was wrapped around the screw labeled TP right above the instrument cluster connector.

Pics in a few mins.

TimmyTXJ
10-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Welcome to xjTalk.

Best advice anyone could give you right there! $400? Man, I thought I scored at a grand. Well done!

Mudderoy
10-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Welcome to xjTalk.

Replace the radiator hoses, especially the lower. When they are old they will rip open dumping the complete contents of the cooling system in a few seconds.

Also it may just be a taste thing, but I really like sitting up high and seeing what is coming, front, behind or sideways. Cars are fun, but I drive them way too fast. Also when the weather gets really bad around here I can get from point A to point B.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2012, 02:11 PM
One thing for sure, do it yourselfers can make a rats nest out of spaghetti anytime.

jdel
10-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I will check out the lower radiator hose here in a little bit.

There's only one wire left, but other than that, everything is out and the dash is put back together. The last wire was in the headlight switch and I couldn't get it out, so I clipped it and taped it up. If removing all the wiring doesn't work, it will be time for me to check the grounds all over the place.

jdel
10-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Finally got a hold of a 7.5 fuse for 17, popped it in, turned the key and it seemed all good. Closed the door and POP, fuse gone. Looks like it's time to test for an open circuit somewhere. Ugh.

Is there a common spot to look for bad wiring? I figure each XJ is different, but does something commonly melt or cause the short?

4.3LXJ
10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Pull your kick panel and check for a broken wire where it goes through the door and door frame

jdel
10-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Pull your kick panel and check for a broken wire where it goes through the door and door frame

First thing tomorrow morning I will check this. The kick panel hasn't been installed for a while so who knows what wires may have been messed with accidentally. Thanks for the recommendation.