PDA

View Full Version : Jeep sites being sold...

Mudderoy
10-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Recently people have been telling me about Autoguide.com buying up Jeep sites. I know of two, CherokeeTalk and WranglerBoard.

Certainly nothing wrong with people, or companies buying sites. It's the American way! :D

However I know that this can cause concern for the members not knowing how things will change, if at all. You know the unknown.

I'll let you know that I have been contacted about both WranglerTalk and xjtalk, at different times. I don't recall who it was that contacted me, but I told them I wasn't interested.

I'm still not. So if you were concerned if xjtalk was next, don't be.

XJ Wheeler
10-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Glad to hear it. I like this place just as it is. And i'm sure we all know you're not doing this for the money.:D

cantab27
10-11-2012, 01:40 AM
only chasing the sites cause im here...............true fact that

XJMJeep
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
only chasing the sites cause im here...............true fact that

It's the snow pic's ain't it ?
That's what they really want! :D

Dredwolf
10-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Recently people have been telling me about Autoguide.com buying up Jeep sites. I know of two, CherokeeTalk and WranglerBoard.

Certainly nothing wrong with people, or companies buying sites. It's the American way! :D

However I know that this can cause concern for the members not knowing how things will change, if at all. You know the unknown.

I'll let you know that I have been contacted about both WranglerTalk and xjtalk, at different times. I don't recall who it was that contacted me, but I told them I wasn't interested.

I'm still not. So if you were concerned if xjtalk was next, don't be.

And I am proud to be an American, proud of my country, and enjoy making a profit myself. But I don't enjoy everything big business does.

Tony, thank you, and thank you for keeping this place going.

bluedragon436
10-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Glad to see that we can keep our family owned site running the way it is and in the family... and not let corporate caos take over the awesome way of life that we have on both xjtalk and wranglertalk

Mudderoy
10-12-2012, 10:45 AM
I just received a PM with a link. Went and read the thread, nothing major just people complaining about changes, but it got me to thinking. Who is Autoguide.com. Poked around a little.

You might be surprised by the SITES that they own...

:link: (http://www.autoguide.com/forums.html)

These are listed under OTHER (There is no Jeep column)

BC4x4.com
CarTownForums.com
ChinaCarForums.com
Engine-Care.com
FFCars.com
FMVPerformance.com
GasserHotRods.com
GasStinks.com
HotRodders.com
HybridCars.com
HybridForums.org
LayitLow.com
Low-Riders.com
Mautofied.com
Pirate4x4.com
Planet4x4.net
Quebec4x4.com
TrueStreetCars.com
Tunerfriends.com

bluedragon436
10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Doesn't surprise me that Pirate is owned by them... I know the old owners were always all about money anyways... so no surprise they sold it for some money in their pockets!!

Mudderoy
10-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Doesn't surprise me that Pirate is owned by them... I know the old owners were always all about money anyways... so no surprise they sold it for some money in their pockets!!

I'm really surprised how many sites they own. I bet they are getting literally thousands of dollars from Google through Google's adsense program with all those sites.

Anyway, I guess this is just turning into forum gossip at this point. Just want to defer any fears that anyone might have, or hopes. ;)

xj4life2
10-18-2012, 11:25 AM
For those of you who may frequent Pirate, I'm sure you've seen the slow and painful demise of that site. lack of personal contact by the owners and the changing of the guard so to speak has really taken its toll. I'm sure that was not the intent but I'm afraid thats the way she will go. Thanks again Tony for your envolvement and undieing supporrt of our little world on the internet.

Mudderoy
11-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Are you a new member to :xjtalk: because your regular Jeep site was sold and you just don't like the changes now?

jfxj67
12-25-2013, 11:37 PM
How about a Merry Christmas bump?

I was just informed that Autoguide now owns over 1,000 sites.

Thanks for not being one of them!
:D

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mudderoy
12-25-2013, 11:43 PM
How about a Merry Christmas bump?

I was just informed that Autoguide now owns over 1,000 sites.

Thanks for not being one of them!
:D

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2

Wow I wonder how much they're bringing in via ad revenue. :smiley-chores003:

xj-jake
12-27-2013, 05:39 PM
I like this site compared to the other one I'm on that is owned by autoguide. There's tons of stuff on there but the people are way nicer here. Thank you for not falling into the corporate bs.

OverRockOffRoad
01-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Good to hear you don't want to sell. Every forum that I know they have purchased has gone to crap.

Pirate was a bad site as far as people go but now they have crappy ads and as well as the a-hole people. It was good for content but now its crap IMO. Planet 4x4 was a very cool forum for a while with a lot of Idaho/Utah people and great content but its all packed with ads.

Its crazy and kinda weird how many forums they own, I noticed back when they bought Pirate and JKOwners. I thought for sure that people would start to quit going to a lot of those sites and I still hope in time they will. I think that the personally owned forums are what its all about not the corporate BS.

nickyg
01-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Autoguide.com is just a shell corporation for Martha Stewart who will soon become our supreme over lord. First she'll buy all the Auto websites then she will control the food supply and for the last stage she'll have us all working in her sweat shop constructing floral centerpieces. DON'T SELL THE WEB SITE, RESIST MARTHA!!!!

Rocco83
02-27-2014, 03:07 PM
I like Pirate for the build threads. Outside of that I don't care for it. Lot of good things to learn there as long as you're prepared for the condescension that usually comes with the not knowing how to do something.

It is a shame when someone buys up small sites. Sure the owners get a little coin, but it really takes away the personal touches on the sites and the smaller sense of community. Thank you for keeping this site to yourself.

Mudderoy
02-27-2014, 04:09 PM
I like Pirate for the build threads. Outside of that I don't care for it. Lot of good things to learn there as long as you're prepared for the condescension that usually comes with the not knowing how to do something.

It is a shame when someone buys up small sites. Sure the owners get a little coin, but it really takes away the personal touches on the sites and the smaller sense of community. Thank you for keeping this site to yourself.

I'm sure I speak for the entire staff... Thanks!

Hey! :xjtalk: turns 5 in a few days! :bacondance:

aceives
04-12-2014, 04:04 AM
I recently checked out this site I was having problems with 98 jeep 6cyl. code lights was reading throttle pos.sen. replaced wiith after market check engine light never did go off even put in opar t.p.s. still would cut out. I was able to get a friend of mine that teaches auto mech. class and he and his student's traced it back to the clock spring which is in the steering wheel and has to do with the airbag changed it and everthing is fine just wanted to let other folks be aware of this. Have a blessed day. and thank's for this site.

Mudderoy
04-12-2014, 06:21 AM
I recently checked out this site I was having problems with 98 jeep 6cyl. code lights was reading throttle pos.sen. replaced wiith after market check engine light never did go off even put in opar t.p.s. still would cut out. I was able to get a friend of mine that teaches auto mech. class and he and his student's traced it back to the clock spring which is in the steering wheel and has to do with the airbag changed it and everthing is fine just wanted to let other folks be aware of this. Have a blessed day. and thank's for this site.

When I had the problem with mine the "Air bag light" was on all the time and the cruise control stopped working. Can't remember but maybe the horn didn't work as well.

slipinkramer
05-27-2014, 07:05 PM
I have been through this; it was discoweb.org (a Land Rover Discovery site back almost 10 years ago). It wasn't the big business buyout of the site, but the "changing of the guard" that caused it's ultimate demise.

Once upon a time it was a fantastic site with great members and great threads, very unique and much like XJTalk is now. That site had a core group of owners and leaders who made the rules, set the tone and gave the site a particular personality that was very appealing (sound familiar).

Over time, the core members dropped away and passed the site to others. The others tried but didn't have "that fire in the belly" that the founders had had. The site faded and now its all but dead. Now, when interest in building and wheeling that particular vehicle is so much higher that it ever was back then, there isn't a dedicated web resource for it that's kick ass like discoweb was.

So here's to you, dedicated XJTalk Central Committee Members. I hope you don't go astray for a good long time!

dirtyjeepgirls
12-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Nice photos of the XJ. Good Job!

nickyg
12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
So here's to you, dedicated XJTalk Central Committee Members. I hope you don't go astray for a good long time!

Who's gonna take over for me????

4.3LXJ
12-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Who's gonna take over for me????

No one available Nicky. They broke the mold :smiley-taunt002: