PDA

View Full Version : Cure for the sick moose.

Howler_GT
08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I hope none of you ever have this type of embarassing moment in your XJ.

The other day while driving Lil Red, I spotted a friend.
Thought to myself, "I'll honk and wake frantically at him."

I hit the center of the steering wheel and hear...
Well the best analogy is a sick moose or the mating call of a Canadian Elk.
Which either one you find more humorous, IT WAS TOTALLY EMBARRASING.

I decided it was time to either kill the sick moose or let the Elk get "lucky".

I pulled into my driveway and promptly inspected the situation.
Pulling the only horn Lil Red had out. I found this:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4639/1000070k.jpg

EWWWW! I found out, it wasn't a sick moose, but more of a drowning moose.
Why?
Rotated it and about 1/2c of water came out. Mind you, this was mounted exactly the way it came from the factory--bugle DOWN.

What to put in its place?
New horns actually sound wimpy, unless you wanna pay big $$$ and get a set loud enough to wake the dead.
Money's tight (DUH). Need a cheap but cooler sounding alternative.

DING DING DING...J/Y Run.

Forget looking around for another XJ. Just end up with the same problem.

AH...The GM section.
Yes the GM section.
Since there are alot of parts from factory that are actually GM, a few more won't hurt.

Target vehicle: LARGE FWD
Sub-platform: Luxury/Sport

Found---> 93 Buick Regal Sport

This particular model has TWO horns (1 high/ 1 low) that are mounted next to each other. Thier mounting tabs are almost identical to the XJ's.
(2) 13mm headed bolts and they were mine. (not to mention the water-tight connectors...and about 2 feet of the wiring).

Out the gate: $6.00

At home: I decided not to mount them exactly where the stock "moose" called home.
But rather to mount them on the inside lip of the bumper... far enough away from the rotating rubber.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2752/1000074b.jpg

I had to redrill the inner horn's mounting hole a little closer to the horn. That was about the only modification for mounting these bad boys.

Wiring was rather simple. Wire the GREEN wires to the GREEN wire of the XJ and use a good ground for the black wires.

These horns use a two wire set-up. Why? Most times they are mounted to a piece of plastic or fiberglass.
Here is what that water-tight connector for these GM horns looks like:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3851/1000073e.jpg

Now when I hit that special spot in the middle of the steering wheel, I DO NOT hear a sick moose. But my rear view mirror vibrates like heck.

DETOURS
08-13-2009, 07:06 PM
My wifes horn dosent work, I pulled the fuse cuzz the 3 year old climbs in and leans on the horn in the driveway........not good......so what I sometimes do is grab a neiborhood cat and take it for a ride..........if during that ride I need to get someones attention.......I grab the cat, bite it's head off, and throw it at them........works every time!!:rolleyes:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/eating_a_cat.jpg

_StationWagon_
08-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Oh ... is this the new Vendor's forum?

:D

Mudderoy
08-14-2009, 06:22 PM
My wifes horn dosent work, I pulled the fuse cuzz the 3 year old climbs in and leans on the horn in the driveway........not good......so what I sometimes do is grab a neiborhood cat and take it for a ride..........if during that ride I need to get someones attention.......I grab the cat, bite it's head off, and throw it at them........works every time!!:rolleyes:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/eating_a_cat.jpg

Mmmmmm fresh kitty!

BlueXJ
08-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Throw the cat with head intact to get even more attention.

DETOURS
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Throw the cat with head intact to get even more attention.

Naaaa......the blood splatter gets the attention.

Whats Stationwagon's reasoning?? We sell'in horns?? :confused:

_StationWagon_
08-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Naaaa......the blood splatter gets the attention.

Whats Stationwagon's reasoning?? We sell'in horns?? :confused:
Just being corny since both posts were by vendors. My sense of humor is sometimes quite obscure ... :p

muddeprived
08-15-2009, 08:41 AM
This is a very "horny" thread. :)

Hey Howler, is that new horn water resistance? It's mounted in a spot that usually gets dunked in mud/water. Since it came from a car, I would think they don't expect it to be submerged and probably didn't seal it up good. I wouldn't know......cuz I hate cars. :)

_StationWagon_
08-15-2009, 03:46 PM
I went to the JY today, & the only Buick Regal they had was burnt to ash under the hood. My luck. But I picked up a pair of horns from a Chebby Malibu. They're connected by a Y shaped bracket & are loud as heck! Gonna steal your idea Spanky. Hope it works for me.

Howler_GT
08-15-2009, 03:47 PM
This is a very "horny" thread. :)

Hey Howler, is that new horn water resistance? It's mounted in a spot that usually gets dunked in mud/water. Since it came from a car, I would think they don't expect it to be submerged and probably didn't seal it up good. I wouldn't know......cuz I hate cars. :)

Good point.

Well, here's pic for ya.
I am holding the oem horn in the exact mounting location from factory.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7859/1000075g.jpg

How much water resistance is there from factory for the oem horns?
Not trying to be a smart***, I believe its a valid question.

JG-Man
07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Hey my XJ doesn't have the manual, where is the horn fuse located, and what # is it? Many thanks.

- Hornless in NJ

bigjim350
07-31-2011, 02:05 PM
This should help ya out http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/fusepanel.jpg

JG-Man
07-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah, this is great. Will come in handy later I'm sure.

JG-Man
07-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Replaced the fuse and tested horns, found that drivers' side horn was bad but passenger side is still good. At least now I have some emergency warning ability in traffic. (You don't realize how much you actually need a horn until you don't have one).
Now to search e-Bay and Craigs List for a suitable replacement. Looks like this thread is into replacing with louder Buick horns. I am just worried about the fuse amperage then. (Also good point about whether the Jeep Bosch horn is designed to be submereged because of the placement - but I kinda doubt that. For those that have snorkels and use them, I'd suggest mounting them higher up in the engine bay. The rest of use will just have the snow and salt corrode the horn away slowly :)

Mudderoy
07-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Replaced the fuse and tested horns, found that drivers' side horn was bad but passenger side is still good. At least now I have some emergency warning ability in traffic. (You don't realize how much you actually need a horn until you don't have one).
Now to search e-Bay and Craigs List for a suitable replacement. Looks like this thread is into replacing with louder Buick horns. I am just worried about the fuse amperage then. (Also good point about whether the Jeep Bosch horn is designed to be submereged because of the placement - but I kinda doubt that. For those that have snorkels and use them, I'd suggest mounting them higher up in the engine bay. The rest of use will just have the snow and salt corrode the horn away slowly :)

One word...

AIR HORN!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410OsDiAKnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bluedragon436
07-31-2011, 10:35 PM
I am def. going to pick up a new horn for my XJ.. I will def. be making a trip to JY once I get back for some other parts.. so will be looking for a better horn setup to swap out with mine. I hate the wimpy ass horn the XJ comes with from the factory.. I have been thinking about doing air horns if I do a OBA setup.. or just pick up a small air horn setup, just to scare the shit out of anyone that decides they want to pull out in front of me, or merge into my front end, which is usually the only time I use my horn!!

jccatt
08-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Put cat under arm with head to rear, hold tail and squeeze like bag pipes, aarrrrrrwwwwwwl

BlueXJ
08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
This guy will get anyones attention with his head still attached to his body.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/cantrell39/catsurprise2.jpg

4.3LXJ
08-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I always liked the African Lion a few doors down from me. Nice deep tone, good rumble and the sound carries for about a mile. Don't squeeze him though, just show him a steak.

BlueXJ
08-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/nkgray/nkgray2/male_Lion.jpg

LizardRunner
08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
that's two words tony:smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
that's two words tony:smiley-laughing021:

:wow: either no one else noticed that, or no one cared. :sign0181:

JG-Man
09-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok, now the single "high note" horn also stopped working -- it has some oily looking sludge coming out of it's seams :( (also noticed I blew the 15A horn fuse again, so I picked up a 5 pack at Pep Boys). Got myself a deal on a pair (one high tone, one low tone) 12V Bosch horns on e-Bay, they look new, never mounted. tested them individually and they work and the Jeep + plug slides right onto the new horns' electrical tabs. Now the problems:

The new horns look very similar BUT they have a positive AND a negative tab. No biggie, I figure I'll just ground the other side! It seems that no matter how I mount them or which tab I use as the negative or positive side as soon as I ground them they are honking -- even when I am NOT pressing the horn button on the steering wheel. The 15A fuse is holding up fine. What next???

4.3LXJ
09-04-2011, 12:37 PM
If I had a meter there, I would test continuity and voltage from your horn switch. It sounds like your relay might be fried closed. Take a test light if you have one and check for voltage from your circuit when the horn button is not activated. I bet it is hot all the time now.

JG-Man
09-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a voltmeter, is that the same thing? I also have have a socket tester with a light in it.

JG-Man
09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Plus, Where is the horn switch located? Isn't that under the horn cover on the steering wheel where the air bag is?

JG-Man
09-04-2011, 01:19 PM
OK, I think you were saying I should test where the fuse is to see if power is flowing through it all the time. ANd there hopefully is a "relay" (a small black box that plugs in somewhere - that I can replace) not the horn button itself?

JG-Man
10-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I just looked at a stock XJ and realized I don't have the front wheel-well inner fender guards! No wonder my horns were exposed to the elements (salt)! Probably because they had to be trimmed for my Rock Hard front bumper?

I am just worried about the fuse amperage then. (Also good point about whether the Jeep Bosch horn is designed to be submereged because of the placement - but I kinda doubt that. For those that have snorkels and use them, I'd suggest mounting them higher up in the engine bay. The rest of use will just have the snow and salt corrode the horn away slowly :)

JG-Man
10-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Ok to close out this conversation, I checked with a circuit tester, it was not hot, even with the horn button depressed. Replaced the horn relay, which a 1" square black plugin box located behind the kick panel on the front passenger side. Now it's hot when the horn button is depressed. Hopefully, after I install the new "Euro" horns nothing else blows.
Don't forget where I live guys: In NYC & Jersey a horn is more essential than 4 wheel drive! :smiley-taunt015:

JG-Man
05-27-2013, 10:49 PM
My horn saga continues!!!!!

I bought new horns 12V genuine Bosch's online (had to make my own clean contact ground wires for the negative plug side of horns), plus bought a new horn relay. They worked fine for a few months (sounded higher pitch but they were a good price) then when it was sitting by itself in the Home Depot parking lot ... Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! I had to run out and unplug one. Plugged them back in a day later and fine for another month or two then same thing happens.

I spoke to a mechanic, he asked me what kind of ground connection I had (clean - good contact?) then I explained what type of horns I had used. He suggested the OEM Mopar horns with one one (+) plug (and the neg is grounded thru the OEM body mount) so two $29.99 genuine Mopar horns later, I'm sitting in my house and I hear, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEp from the driveway! Ran out and unplugged them again (this time I had to unplug both - since they have their own body grounds) Anybody else have any ideas - I am now using all stock horns and electrical?

4.3LXJ
05-28-2013, 10:56 AM
That is a tough one because it is so annoying to find out what happened while being beeped. But plug them in and make a way to unplug between the relay and horns. If you unplug them there they should quit. I am thinking maybe a bad relay or maybe even a short at the column. But you will have to work your way backwards from the horn to find out.

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Shouldn't you guys be asking the Canadian how to fix the Moose?

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 11:21 AM
My jeep did that once and I just haven't bothered replacing the horns lol I'm going to put truck air horns on it when I get around to installing on board air :) I just want my jeep to say Mack on it lol! I have a buddy who owns a diesel truck wrecking yard so he's gonna hook me up!

4.3LXJ
05-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Hmmm, air horns .........

89Laredo
05-28-2013, 12:29 PM
That's what I'm doing to mine when I get OBA done. Hook it up to a solenoid with the stock horn wiring.

Brasscatz
05-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Shouldn't you guys be asking the Canadian how to fix the Moose?

Nah, only how to hit one on the highway or how to get one out of the "hoose" :poke:

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
At least I don't say howse lol or the ruff on the howse ;)

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 07:26 PM
That's what I'm doing to mine when I get OBA done. Hook it up to a solenoid with the stock horn wiring.

I'm putting them on my roof rack lol!

Brasscatz
05-28-2013, 07:29 PM
At least I don't say howse lol or the ruff on the howse ;)

I don't know what you're talking aboot...

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Lies! Merkin!

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 07:34 PM
You know like when something hurts and you're like aow that's how you say out lol maybe southerners say it different but western New Yorkers say that lol!

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Is everything really bigger in Texas? Lol

Brasscatz
05-28-2013, 09:34 PM
That's the word on the street lol

XjJeepacorn
05-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Hummm.... :D

XJ Wheeler
05-31-2013, 03:25 AM
Is everything really bigger in Texas? Lol

Maybe...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/CIMG2337-1.jpg

Mudderoy
05-31-2013, 07:05 AM
My horn saga continues!!!!!

I bought new horns 12V genuine Bosch's online (had to make my own clean contact ground wires for the negative plug side of horns), plus bought a new horn relay. They worked fine for a few months (sounded higher pitch but they were a good price) then when it was sitting by itself in the Home Depot parking lot ... Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! I had to run out and unplug one. Plugged them back in a day later and fine for another month or two then same thing happens.

I spoke to a mechanic, he asked me what kind of ground connection I had (clean - good contact?) then I explained what type of horns I had used. He suggested the OEM Mopar horns with one one (+) plug (and the neg is grounded thru the OEM body mount) so two $29.99 genuine Mopar horns later, I'm sitting in my house and I hear, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEp from the driveway! Ran out and unplugged them again (this time I had to unplug both - since they have their own body grounds) Anybody else have any ideas - I am now using all stock horns and electrical?

I wonder if you're having the "tree fell on my Jeep" gremlins. You've dealt with the noisy part, the horns, but there is the wiring, the relay(?) and the switch. Hmmm I bet it could be the clock as well.

Any other issues? Air bag light on all the time, or intermittent? Perhaps cruise works but turns itself off? You should be able to swap the relay pretty easy (if there is one for the horn).

JG-Man
06-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Nope, no tree gremlins, that was awhile ago! I replaced the relay already (twice - blew the first one with cheap horns). Everything works fine, cruise control, light sentinel, no warning lights staying on after startup, even my rear interior light/button works!

The mechanic suggested plugging the MOPAR horns back in and wait (possibly months) for them to start going off by themselves (hopefully not at 3am!) and then instead of unplugging them, hit (punch) the steering wheel horn button to see if that turns them off. Then he thinks its the guts of the horn button nestled behind the airbag components? $$$ :bang:

I am going to sell this Jeep very soon, I want everything sorted out.

Mudderoy
06-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Nope, no tree gremlins, that was awhile ago! I replaced the relay already (twice - blew the first one with cheap horns). Everything works fine, cruise control, light sentinel, no warning lights staying on after startup, even my rear interior light/button works!

The mechanic suggested plugging the MOPAR horns back in and wait (possibly months) for them to start going off by themselves (hopefully not at 3am!) and then instead of unplugging them, hit (punch) the steering wheel horn button to see if that turns them off. Then he thinks its the guts of the horn button nestled behind the airbag components? $$$ :bang:

I am going to sell this Jeep very soon, I want everything sorted out.

Hmmmmm :link: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-JEEP-CHEROKEE-STEERING-WHEEL-/181120966215?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2ba69e47&vxp=mtr)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1996-JEEP-CHEROKEE-STEERING-WHEEL-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/5bEAAMXQ1PNRaCGS/$T2eC16d,!)QE9s3HF5H)BR,CGR5!cw~~60_57.JPG

Oh I bet this is the wrong style...

JG-Man
06-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I have a 2000 Sport wheel. But thanks.