PDA

View Full Version : Front or Rear? That is the question.

Primo
08-11-2009, 03:40 PM
OK next question . . . . . .
Locker front or rear?
I know both would be best. but say you have the funds for one at a time would you go front or rear? I say rear first but lets discuss the ups and down of both!!!

COSXJFAN
08-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Rear it's all about weight transfer. When you are climbing, the weight is on the rear axle anyway, so that is where the traction is. Therefore the locker would be more beneficial there, IMHO!!

OverlandXJ
08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I used to run both, but now just a rear.

Depending on which locker your running you could take damage to a front ujoint more easily than a rear axleshaft. (tight turn wedged tire)

UKJeepThang
08-11-2009, 05:01 PM
If you can do it, then both.

But if you could only do one, I'd definately go for the rear

Dirt Dogg Rydas
08-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't have any experience with lockers but i would of thought the front woul be better.
I'll wait to see what others have to say about this before I vote in this poll

Mudderoy
08-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I think it depends on where you need the traction. If the rear is slipping, you need the traction in the front. If the front is slipping, you need the traction in the rear. I just depends.

The rear is stronger (with the exception of the D35) than the front, so the rear will probably work longer. A broken axle and it doesn't matter if it's locked up or not.

A locked rear is going to benefit you on and off road, I think.

2000XJ
08-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I locked my rear axle first, and after seeing other similarly built XJ have only a locked front axle wheel the same terrain as me, I'm glad I went down that route.

Like Cos said, weight transfer has alot to do with it. Overland also makes a good point about the strength of the u-joints.

The nice thing about the locker in the rear first is that it really helps you out even if you have no front locker. It helps you get up on things that you couldn't climb before due to less traction. Also, with the front axle locked, the front axle does too much of the work, and honestly a D30 with larger tires just isn't strong enough for that task without any help from the rear.

Also, with the length of the XJ, I have seen to many of them get their front tires up and then the rear is just hanging back there without any traction. The nice thing about the locker in the rear, is that IMHO, it's easier to get an open front up on obstacles than the rear because there is more weight up there, allowing for less slip on the tires.

Furthermore, if you live in a place where you get snow/ice/sleet/etc, the front locker will make driving in those conditions that much trickier when you're in 4WD. The rear locker is actually nice in these situations because you get equal traction to both sides.

Now I'm locked front and rear, and if I were to do it again I'd go rear first, then front.

Primo
08-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Well thats how I feel lock the rear first, the front is not as strong as the rear, U joints break easier than Rear axles , I feel that being able to use all your gear in stages like 2wd then kick in the locker then 4wd then kick in the front locker if you have it. plus as afore mentioned the snow traction and the climbing action PLUS we all know throwing a 3o foot roost of mud is the tops!!!! IMHO of corse.

Love all the feedback on this and hope it can help someone in the future!!!:D

I fixed it I ment lock the rear first!!!

muddeprived
08-11-2009, 11:09 PM
I voted do both front and rear cuz eventually you will do it anyways. :D

From my experiences, running front, rear, and both front/rear lockers, i would prefer locking the rear before the front if I had to choose one. With a front locker, turning sucks, front end slides all over in snow/ice, and having a front end sliding down a hill is scarier than a rear. My girlfriend prefers the rear as well......:scared0016:

Front locker:

Pros: superb traction
superb traction
excellent traction

Cons: reduced turning radius
sliding front end
lousy steering in the winter (4x4)

Rear Locker:

Pros: awesome traction 100% of the time
more power to the ground when racing ricers
aids more in hill climbing

Cons: Increased tire wear
Jerking and turning quirks in 2wd on road
fishtailing

Both Front and Rear

Pros: Maximum Traction
True 4x4
Eliminates the question "can i make that climb?"

Cons: You will wish you uninstalled one cuz everything becomes too
easy.
Learning how to 4wheel sideways is required
Constantly asked what the hell is all that clicking when you turn.

I say do the rear first, then lock the front.

Voldemort
08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm doing the rear first cause I can use a lunch box locker, while in the front a selectable the best option. They are alot more expensive.

Primo
08-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Rear it's all about weight transfer. When you are climbing, the weight is on the rear axle anyway, so that is where the traction is. Therefore the locker would be more beneficial there, IMHO!!

Hey there cosxjfan I only quoted you to hopfully grab your attention.. I realy appreciate your signiture I have 2 A.P.B.T. and I can't agree more!!!!!!!!!

Mudderoy
08-12-2009, 12:37 AM
It may be a while, but after reading and asking questions, I want selectable front and rear. Currently I'm leaning towards the ARB air lockers. I want the higher strenth axle 30(?) splin kit for the D30 though.

Primo
08-12-2009, 01:20 AM
It may be a while, but after reading and asking questions, I want selectable front and rear. Currently I'm leaning towards the ARB air lockers. I want the higher strenth axle 30(?) splin kit for the D30 though.

Me too Im going to use ox lockers. I saw a friend wreck his 67 bronco in Moab after his air line boke, he rolled about 4 times. So now I'm a little gun shy of arb. but the super 30 arb kit is sick!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
08-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Me too Im going to use ox lockers. I saw a friend wreck his 67 bronco in Moab after his air line boke, he rolled about 4 times. So now I'm a little gun shy of arb. but the super 30 arb kit is sick!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I like the ox lockers, and I like the cables that run directly to the lockers. I don't like having to figure out how to run and mount the levers. ;)

DETOURS
08-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm late to the party, but rear is where you need to start, front is a luxury with upgrades besides the locker is recomended.....

Primo
08-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm late to the party, but rear is where you need to start, front is a luxury with upgrades besides the locker is recomended.....

Thats what I was hoping yous guys would say, I got a couple of yj loving dinks I call friends that say front first but I wanted to see if anyone would agree with me on the rear.

BlueXJ
08-14-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm doing the rear first cause I can use a lunch box locker, while in the front a selectable the best option. They are alot more expensive.

X2 That would be ideal is a lunckbox rear and a selectable front like an EcTed or an OX.

ehappy
08-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I've been mod'ing my Jeep this year and I put an Aussie Locker in the front diff, and am still running an open (well, non-functioning factory LS) in the rear until I get time to install parts for the rear.

In my Experience (Not Opinion, Experience) the Aussie Locker may as well not be there in 2wd - you'll never notice it, and with the radio off, all I ever hear is a little tick tick tick while crawling the mall parking lot.

In 4wd, the Aussie (As opposed to Lock-Right, which my last Jeep had) is SILENT... LR used to BANG when it locked. I have recently wheeled in Dry conditions over rocks, tree roots, and lots of hardpack dirt with tight turns. The Aussie never seemed to have an effect on steering, locking when it needed to, unlocking for turns. I really like it and believe it was a good purchase, especially for the price. I'm also surprised at what I could drive/slide over with 'just' a front locker and frame sliders, without getting stuck.

My current plans are to install Yukon axles and a locker into the rear end (D35) before fall. I already have a Lock-Right (Misordered for the last jeep) so I may use that until I have dough to rebuild and lock the XJ-D44 I picked up earlier this year.

However your build works out, I wish you the best.

Eric

ChaseK
08-24-2009, 01:53 AM
I run a Lock right front and Auburn LS rear.

I do that because I rarely drive in snow. If I do Im wheelin.

And its unnoticable onroad and the rear hooks up really well unless Im crazy unloaded on one side. Best fo both worlds IMO. Hit 4lo and she crawls and in 2wd she drives like a street queen(minus being sluggish haha)

ehappy
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
This is when it helps to have a rear locker as well as a winch. Glad I went for the Winch first:

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/45186/2526013940100876046S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2526013940100876046RnLvqy)