PDA

View Full Version : Prayers Needed

XJ Wheeler
09-24-2012, 11:02 AM
This morning we got a call from my grandmas sister saying she hasn't been able to get in touch with her. Short story version. After a few calls she was found unconscious on the floor of her apartment. Paramedics said she was still breathing but unresponsive. This is currently happening so not much more. I can't stand being this for away and there's no way we can go right now. Please pray for her.

bluedragon436
09-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Prayers going out Jake

XJ Wheeler
09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Just heard, she was taken to a close by hospital. They believe she had a stroke. She's still unresponsive to my knowledge and due to breathing difficulties they intubated her. We have cleared md and are on our way there.

Thanks.

NW99XJ
09-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Oh man, I know whats thats like. Bout 5years back I got the word my mother (when she was living in Ok.) was going in for a massive colon cancer operation. The diagnosis was a surprise to me, and she waited till the last minute before she told me anything.
Not quite as touch-n-go as what your facing, but I can relate to the frustration of being so many miles away, and not being able to do much or even BE there
I hope everything works out for the best, and some good news starts coming your way. All my best is going to you and yours. Good luck!

XJ Wheeler
09-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Oh man, I know whats thats like. Bout 5years back I got the word my mother (when she was living in Ok.) was going in for a massive colon cancer operation. The diagnosis was a surprise to me, and she waited till the last minute before she told me anything.
Not quite as touch-n-go as what your facing, but I can relate to the frustration of being so many miles away, and not being able to do much or even BE there
I hope everything works out for the best, and some good news starts coming your way. All my best is going to you and yours. Good luck!

Dude, that sucks. And you're right, not being there can eats me up.

After all that's happened this year bad its just unbelievable. I know the Lord is bigger than all things, so i'm definitely riding on faith.

Brasscatz
09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
saying prayers for sure, bro

XJ Wheeler
09-24-2012, 07:30 PM
We got to the hospital a couple hours ago and they got her in the ICU a little bit ago. After talking with the doctors they do believe she had a massive stroke in the left side of her brain as well as having very low sodium.

She is still unconscious and on a ventilator. When moved she amazingly opens her eyes slightly and when the neuro doc touched her feet her toes moved. He says that her brain could swell and that would be horrible. They will also have to slowly raise her sodium carefully not to destroy her brain stem.

Its wait and see time. It does NOT help the ICU visiting hours are only 15-30 minutes every four hours.

Brasscatz
09-24-2012, 07:36 PM
It does NOT help the ICU visiting hours are only 15-30 minutes every four hours.

Been there, bro. Everybody watches the clock and lines up anxious to get in, and they typically only let 2 in at a time. Then your time inside the ICU flies by and feels like mere seconds.

4.3LXJ
09-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Sent one up for her

XJ Wheeler
09-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Been there, bro. Everybody watches the clock and lines up anxious to get in, and they typically only let 2 in at a time. Then your time inside the ICU flies by and feels like mere seconds.

Exactly. The people here were trying to get us out and ask for her history simultaneously while we were talking to the doctors.:bang:

Dredwolf
09-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Exactly. The people here were trying to get us out and ask for her history simultaneously while we were talking to the doctors.:bang:

Been there too. :bang:

We all know they have a job to do, but with a wife who has worked in the hospital system for years, maybe some "empathy refresher" training each year would help.

Prayers sent.

XJ Wheeler
09-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Been there too. :bang:

We all know they have a job to do, but with a wife who has worked in the hospital system for years, maybe some "empathy refresher" training each year would help.

Prayers sent.

Yes! I see it all the time, would certainly be a good idea.

BlueXJ
09-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Please know that my prayers are added to those already sent.

XJ Wheeler
09-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Today we were able to see her a few times. This morning she showed some great signs. Upon command she was able to move her feet and squeeze her hands. Plus right after we got there she OPENED HER EYES and stared directly at my mom (her daughter) for a moment. It was truly amazing. At that point her breathing became too fast and they put her on some medication to slightly sedate her. She still is pretty much unconscious but its very apparent she can hear us.

They did a test on her brain (eeg?) that's suppose to show if and how much brain activity. Still waiting on results.

One of the blood cultures they did initially showed a staph infection but none of the others, so ???

She was running a fair grade fever earlier, which has since subsided.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. I know she would be appreciative as well.:pray:

Dredwolf
09-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Today we were able to see her a few times. This morning she showed some great signs. Upon command she was able to move her feet and squeeze her hands. Plus right after we got there she OPENED HER EYES and stared directly at my mom (her daughter) for a moment. It was truly amazing. At that point her breathing became too fast and they put her on some medication to slightly sedate her. She still is pretty much unconscious but its very apparent she can hear us.

They did a test on her brain (eeg?) that's suppose to show if and how much brain activity. Still waiting on results.

One of the blood cultures they did initially showed a staph infection but none of the others, so ???

She was running a fair grade fever earlier, which has since subsided.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. I know she would be appreciative as well.:pray:

Glad you received hopeful news. Very glad indeed.

XJ Wheeler
09-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Alright, so the past few days we've been able to see her a fair amount and a lot has been going on, so i'll try to get most of it all.

Now they're not exactly sure what happened. They believe she had a heart attack which might have caused a stroke. I say might because they now don't know if she had one, several, or none. She has a pacemaker that makes a MRI impossible due to the magnets. That sucks because a MRI would be the tell all on the stroke issue.

Another thing is she has MRSA, a staph infection that has turned septic. MRSA is, as we have learned, very tough. Even for a healthy person. They also don't know if the infection has spread to the brain. Again, the MRI would help a lot in telling what has occurred. Either way they have given her antibiotics that should've taken the infection down a notch, but hasn't. They say she must have a source/base of the infection somewhere in her body. They have looked for it but have not found it. So now they believe its in her heart or pacemaker. She's suppose to do a scan in a couple days to search further. But, if it is in the pacemaker, which they believe it is, the unit will need to be removed.

This is where it get mind numbingly complicated. Removing the pacemaker like this is apparently EXTREMELY hard to do. A operation she isn't really healthy enough for. Plus she is 99% dependent on the pacemaker as she has tachycardia, so they would have to run wires up to her heart to keep her heart from going into vtach. They wouldn't be able to put a new pacemaker in till the infection clears up either, otherwise it would all happen again being its a foreign object in the body. Very susceptible to infection. The doctors here have told us they (doctors and facility) are not capable of doing this operation. So they are planning on transporting her to Houston, if a more capable hospital will even accept her.:bang:

Her kidneys have taken a licking. They aren't able to give her too many meds, and can't give her contrast just yet for a ct scan.

The EEG brain activity results came back. It showed she has 5% versus a healthy persons 8%. Not sure what that all means.

Now, an update on how she is doing.

Her treating has slowed, so they don't need to use the sedation much. Also, since her breathing has gotten better they have been decreasing the time she is on the ventilator. It has pretty much been a night time only thing, to let her rest.

She is moving her right toes and blinking on command. Also, today she has moved her left arm but it wasn't to commands. She certainly understands and we've got a blinking system going for yes and no questions.

She has been swelling, which is to be expected with someone that doesn't move around.

She has made progress the past few days and hopefully the infection will find its way to gonesville.

Thank you guys very much, i appreciate every prayer. Gonna be a long road.

Brasscatz
10-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Wow Jake. I'm so sorry bro. I try to search for something to say to lighten everything and the only thing that keeps coming to mind is to continue looking to God for guidance. I'll be praying for her, your mother and your entire family for strength. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for keeping us updated on these things. I know it's hard to think about all the time.

XJ Wheeler
10-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Wow Jake. I'm so sorry bro. I try to search for something to say to lighten everything and the only thing that keeps coming to mind is to continue looking to God for guidance. I'll be praying for her, your mother and your entire family for strength. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for keeping us updated on these things. I know it's hard to think about all the time.

Thanks, Jim. I don't have the answers, i wish i did. I take solace in knowing the Lord does, as well as believing he's going to take care of everything. Although sometimes its just too much, and i just can't. At those times i HAVE to give it to God.

Thanks for the prayers too.

XJ Wheeler
10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Yesterday they transported her to Methodist in Houston. She made the trip well. The new hospital has some different policies than the other one. They keep her sedated the entire time she is on the ventilator. Plus now she's in a room with three other patients. Nobody wants that.

Due to the sedation she hasn't been showing much activity/movement. Otherwise, her kidney function needs to improve so they can do more tests with contrast (rough on kidneys) and waiting on results to see if the MSRA has gotten better.

Brasscatz
10-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Dang man. Are the visitation rules at least better?

XJ Wheeler
10-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Dang man. Are the visitation rules at least better?

Pretty open so far, just feels awkward in there. Not much room so it makes you feel out of place for taking up space. Nowhere to sit by her either, so its hard to be in there for very long.

Brasscatz
10-02-2012, 10:06 PM
And God I pray that this Obama-care stuff goes away or it's only gonna get worse

XJ Wheeler
10-02-2012, 10:13 PM
And God I pray that this Obama-care stuff goes away or it's only gonna get worse

You know it!

XJ Wheeler
10-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Alright, its been a while since i updated this, so here it goes.

They finally moved her to her own room in medical ICU.

They removed the pacemaker and did find infection in it. They also found a blood clot in her heart. So far there's no plan to deal with that. She is on heparin to keep more clots from forming.

I believe they've finally made a diagnosis of the initial problem that led to her collapsing. They say either a clot or the infection formed "vegetation" that broke apart and went to her brain leading to small strokes. No telling how many. It is key now to keep them from happening.

Her breathing hasn't really improved enough to wean her off the vent just yet. So today they performed a tracheotomy.

Her blood levels seem to continue a downward trend. So she's had a few transfusions over the last couple weeks.

She has been moving and improving on her abilities. The other day she started to squeeze with her hands. Were trying to get her to nod but its a work in progress.

There's talk of her being discharged to a rehab facility to continue to try to wean her off the vent.

Brasscatz
10-18-2012, 06:44 AM
I'm sorry things aren't progressing very fast. Glad she got her own room though. Still sending up prayers for ya

4.3LXJ
10-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Sent one up for you and her Jake

XJ Wheeler
10-23-2012, 05:18 PM
My grandmother's been having a new problem the past few days. Because of the clots they have her on Heparin (blood thinner) but since the trach she has been bleeding in her lung(s). Also she's been getting upset and breathing too fast so they've been sedating her. They said she may not make it much longer.

I wanted you guys opinions on something. The doctor over there has gotten permission to resuscitate her in case she codes but has said unless he can get in touch with next of kin (my mom) at the time of need for permission he won't do it. Does this sound right? I always thought if they had permission that counted for a while, like however long you're in there for that admission.

4.3LXJ
10-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Jake, I was in a similar situation with my Aunt, whom I had taken care of and was the next of kin in charge of her welfare. I also have some medical background. So I hope I can explain this n a kind way so that you will understand. When a person is elderly and needs life support of any kind, there comes a point at which doctors will not resuscitate. Generally quality of life issues, such as cognition are involved. I don' know all the details, but your grandmother may be there. I know that is not what you want to hear. But if that is the case, you will have to answer the same kinds of questions I did when I consulted with my Aunt's physicians at the hospital. It sounds like her condition is deteriorating. It may be a tough decision, but you may have to let her go. I let my Aunt go, even though I did not want to. But I also did not want her to suffer any more either.

Brasscatz
10-23-2012, 06:11 PM
I was also under the impression that if permission was given and there was no DNR order, that they should resuscitate. It is a very difficult situation, bro. Both of my Grandparents had DNRs. Maybe say a few prayers and see what signs and answers you get that way.

XJ Wheeler
10-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Thank you for the info and opinions.

Steve, its not that they say she's not worth saving so to say. But that they just want permission at the exact time should it come. And as far as the choice, its not mine to make. My mother has dealt with it all, at her choice. And i will respect whatever she chooses.

Jim, And there isn't a DNR. Definitely going off guidance from the Lord.

XJ Wheeler
11-04-2012, 01:26 AM
She's taken a few setbacks the past couple days. The doctors keep telling us she's not going to be leaving the ICU, or not in a good way.

Her oxygen saturation's been dropping, enough to make them put her on 100% oxygen.

She has been swelling, quite a lot.

Also, due to her getting too excited and breathing too quickly they increased her sedation, as well as pain meds. Because of this she hasn't been responsive for a while.

cantab27
11-04-2012, 01:22 AM
sorry to hear Jake,,,my thoughts are with you and your family buddy

Brasscatz
11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Saying prayers, bro

XJ Wheeler
12-11-2012, 12:22 AM
So, i need to update this.

I am glad to say she's still with us. But still in ICU.

She's had some really hard times over the last few weeks but continues to prove the doctors wrong. Many nights they've said she wouldn't make it through the night.

Her swelling has been very erratic, going anywhere from near normal to literally twice her size.

Due to the swelling and the fluids affects on her lungs they have started doing a lesser version of dialysis.

She's battled the vent levels a lot. For a few weeks she was requiring 100% oxygen but that got better a little while back and they are trying to lower the settings since she's doing better on the dialysis.

A couple days ago the external pacemaker had stopped working, so they turned it off. But her heart rate has remained steadily good. Which is amazing because she's been dependant on it for years. And the doctor has said he will never put another in her.

The recent cultures have shown negative for the staph infection.

They've had some difficulty doing some procedures and even moving her due to her oxygen levels dropping when they do.

As of late she's been opening her eyes, moving her mouth and arms. Some of that is on command. During the weeks she was struggling with swelling they had her sedated so there wasn't much to show then.

We still get hounded by the faculty the she shouldn't be saved if something were to happen. My moms been told she's selfish and that is just for her and she does care how it affects my grandma. Also, we've been told her insured ICU days are running out and she will have to be transferred to either Brownsville, Tx or somewhere in Illinois.

Brasscatz
12-11-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm sorry to hear she hasn't greatly improved. It reminds me of when my grandfather was given 3 months to live, and he stayed with us for 5 years. I'm not sure I understand what the transfer has to do with the insurance though.

XJ Wheeler
12-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry to hear she hasn't greatly improved. It reminds me of when my grandfather was given 3 months to live, and he stayed with us for 5 years. I'm not sure I understand what the transfer has to do with the insurance though.

Its actually medicare, and basically there's a lifetime benefit limit. When she reaches that the hospital will stop receiving money to pay for her care. The places in Brownsville and Illinois accept people in her condition without coverage. At least, that's how i understand it.

XJ Wheeler
12-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Today she was transported to a "Ltac" facility (long term acute care) in in north Houston. The name may be long term but we were told it will most likely be short.

Her swelling has almost completely subsided due to the dialysis. Because she has less fluid on her, her oxygen levels have been great. She's cut down her need for supplemental oxygen by over half.

Thanks, everyone.

Brasscatz
12-22-2012, 11:10 AM
That's great news Jake! Everything seems to be looking up!

BlueXJ
12-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Prayer works, this is proof.

XJ Wheeler
12-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Prayer works, this is proof.

:thumbsup:

XJ Wheeler
01-02-2013, 05:58 PM
When we walked into the building we got the call telling us had passed.:(

4x4Dalton
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Oh man bro I'm so sorry to hear that. If there's anything I can do let me know.

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

Brasscatz
01-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Damn. I'm sorry Jake. The best comfort is knowing where she is now and that she has never felt better than she does now. She will always be watching you guys and walking with you everywhere you go. You'd be amazed at how many answers you get when you talk to your loved ones that have passed and ask for advice.

If you need anything just give me a yell, bro.

XJ Wheeler
01-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Oh man bro I'm so sorry to hear that. If there's anything I can do let me know.

Damn. I'm sorry Jake. The best comfort is knowing where she is now and that she has never felt better than she does now. She will always be watching you guys and walking with you everywhere you go. You'd be amazed at how many answers you get when you talk to your loved ones that have passed and ask for advice.

If you need anything just give me a yell, bro.

That's one of the first things i said to comfort my mom, that she's now up there with grandpa and David (my uncle).

Appreciate it guys. I just gotta block it and get my mom through all this. She's having a rough time with it. Sometimes lifes just not fair, and in those times God comes in and offers reassurance.

I guess this thread has turned into asking for prayers for strength to get though this.

XJ Wheeler
01-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Looks like the funeral is set for Tuesday afternoon.

I never knew how much these things cost, what's a little debt for a new year to go along with everything.

Making her final arrangements has been tough, especially on my mom.

nickxj94
01-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Sorry for your loss it sucks I just laid my dad to rest today he passed Sunday night.

XJ Wheeler
01-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Sorry for your loss it sucks I just laid my dad to rest today he passed Sunday night.

I saw that, it does suck. Still praying for you and your family.

nickxj94
01-04-2013, 12:14 AM
I saw that, it does suck. Still praying for you and your family.

Thanks I'm praying for yours too

XJ Wheeler
01-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks I'm praying for yours too

Appreciate it man.

oderdene
01-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Sorry for your loss

cantab27
01-04-2013, 02:52 AM
thoughts with ya bro

cantab27
01-04-2013, 03:09 AM

sorry for your loss nick.....thoughts are with you and your family...

4x4Dalton
01-04-2013, 05:19 AM

Sorry to hear that bro. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and yer family.

Mudderoy
01-04-2013, 09:01 AM
I remember when my Dad died. My Mom wanted me to deal with the funeral home as she was to emotional to make good financial decisions. I was only 24 at the time, and even though I too was very distraught I was able to keep my head on straight and keep things cheap. Of course my Mom was sitting there and naturally over rode me. I think I was going for a $800 coffin and she decided to go with a $5000 all wood coffin.

I understand it's a business but $5k for something you put in the ground and NEVER see again?!?!?!

I don't know that I could sell something like that to people grieving.

It made her feel better. She said she could see my Dad running his hand over the beautiful wood.

I guess that after your dead the true measure of your life is how the people left behind feel about you being gone.

XJ Wheeler
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
I remember when my Dad died. My Mom wanted me to deal with the funeral home as she was to emotional to make good financial decisions. I was only 24 at the time, and even though I too was very distraught I was able to keep my head on straight and keep things cheap. Of course my Mom was sitting there and naturally over rode me. I think I was going for a $800 coffin and she decided to go with a $5000 all wood coffin.

I understand it's a business but $5k for something you put in the ground and NEVER see again?!?!?!

I don't know that I could sell something like that to people grieving.

It made her feel better. She said she could see my Dad running his hand over the beautiful wood.

I guess that after your dead the true measure of your life is how the people left behind feel about you being gone.

It is just staggering the amount this take from people. You've just lost someone you love and now to add insult you are out 10k+. And they know you want to honor them with nicer coffin/flowers/etc but not everyone has that much just sitting in a bank account. When i started hearing all this my mind went to a grieving person who may have lost their whole family, say in a car accident. With children it could be over a hundred grand. What are you suppose to do? And of course money's the farthest thing from your mind but its gotta happen.

denverd1
01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Nick and Jake, sad to hear that both of you are dealing with losing a family member. They're in a better place and watching over you both. prayers fellas.

nickxj94
01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately the funeral home we used has done all my family that's passed over the years and they grew up with my family and they helped us out tremendous since my father was a vet his was mostly paid for buy the government we were out of pocket about 2k.. I am thankful for that its still alot of money but nothing like 14k that my grandmother had to spend to lay my grandpa to rest 6 years ago.

XJ Wheeler
01-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Wrong post

matchframe
01-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Looks like the funeral is set for Tuesday afternoon.

I never knew how much these things cost, what's a little debt for a new year to go along with everything.

Making her final arrangements has been tough, especially on my mom.

So sorry to hear this.

Praying for you and family.

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2013, 07:05 PM
She is now resting in peace.

Jars of Clay- I'll Fly Away- with lyrics - YouTube

Rayburne
01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Sorry for Your lose, I know if it were not for my family when my mother and niece passed away last month I would have lost it. Hopefully you have others to grieve with. Bless you.

Brasscatz
01-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Hope the service was beautiful Jake...

Dredwolf
01-08-2013, 10:44 PM
My condolences to Nick and Jake.

I lost my Dad in '05. It gets easier, but I miss him everyday.

XJ Wheeler
01-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Sorry for Your lose, I know if it were not for my family when my mother and niece passed away last month I would have lost it. Hopefully you have others to grieve with. Bless you.

Sorry to hear, bud. I do but they need me more so i am the one that has to be strong.

Hope the service was beautiful Jake...

It was, the song i posted above was one of the ones played. The downpour did make it a tad more interesting. :rolleyes: It was good to see some more family, but i do wish it was under different circumstances.

My condolences to Nick and Jake.

I lost my Dad in '05. It gets easier, but I miss him everyday.

The family I've lost in the past has taught me both of those lessons.

Thanks guys, i appreciate the kind words.

4.3LXJ
01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
My condolences to Nick, Jake and John for your losses. I never really know what to say at times like this. I never really do it well.

XJ Wheeler
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
My condolences to Nick, Jake and John for your losses. I never really know what to say at times like this. I never really do it well.

No worries, i'm not really good at it either. Thanks, Steve.