PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the XJ

btfury
08-10-2009, 12:59 AM
First off, I'm new here and just have to say that I like this forum a lot compared to other ones that I'm a part of... Anywho, I've got a quick question about towing. I'll be pulling a small U-haul trailer down to school with me this year and am not sure what size drop to get on the ball mount... My XJ has 4.5in of lift and it also has the hitch built in to my Detours Slimline rear bumper (if that makes a difference). I don't really know anything about towing, so bare with me...

xjjeepthing
08-10-2009, 05:50 AM
You will need to go look at the trailer beforehand, Back up to the trailer and raise the tongue of the trailer up so the trailer is level. Have someone measure from the tongue to the receiver. Thats the amount of drop you will need. D can answer how much weight the bumoer will pull.

Mudderoy
08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
x2 on the measuring. They have all kinds of inserts for the 2" receivers. You just need to get the one with the right about of drop. I've seen one on a full sized pickup that is adjustable.

If the slimline is tied into the body as per the installation instructions, you'll have no problem pulling the full load that the XJ is capable of. Watch your speed and coolant temps though. If you have over drive automatic you may need to drop it down to 3rd.

btfury
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Will do on the measuring... Is a ball mount with that much drop something that's readily available? I just was unsure if I needed to go ahead and order the mount off of E-trailer or something as I'll be picking up the U-haul and leaving the next day

Mudderoy
08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Will do on the measuring... Is a ball mount with that much drop something that's readily available? I just was unsure if I needed to go ahead and order the mount off of E-trailer or something as I'll be picking up the U-haul and leaving the next day

This one is adjustable 6" up, and 7" down. :link: (http://www.reese-hitches-online.com/special_ball_mounts.htm#Adjustable)

ol"blue
08-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Just keep in mind, and don't go over, the designed in tongue weight that your hitch and vehicle were designed to handle. JMO

2000XJ
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
One of the better ways to keep your trans from getting to warm is to prevent it from shifting alot. If you find that the trans keeps shifting between 3 and OD, lock it into 3rd. Yes, it will consume more fuel, but it'll be better for your trans. Especially if you've got larger than stock tires.

btfury
08-10-2009, 11:28 PM
thanks for all of the advice. I've got 32's and 4.56 gears, so I don't anticipate a lot of shifting, but I'll keep that in mind definitely! Not sure what the max tongue weight is on the Slimline bumper or the XJ for that matter...

dajeepman
08-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Make sure the rear bumper is tied in to something more stronger than the factory bumper mounts.. you rip it right off pulling heavy loads... It needs to be tied into the frame rails.