PDA

View Full Version : Fix Flat

Dirt Dogg Rydas
08-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I finally got my tire fixed i got a flat about a month ago but nobody would fix it cuz it was punctured right in the corner by the tread and sidewall i finally found somebody to fix it but what they did was something called a hot patch. from what i understand they put a patch on and use something like an iron press to melt it on. hopefully it will last I've never had this done before but the tire was so new that i didn't want to get rid of it without trying something plus those tires are discontinued.
Good thing is i only use the XJ for offroading.
We'll see how long it lasts.

ol"blue
08-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Good luck. I hope it holds for you. That's a high stress area, so I know you'll keep your mind on it just in case.

Mudderoy
08-06-2009, 07:23 PM
If you have a catastrophic failure of that tire, you could roll it. I would only use it as a spare tire.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
08-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah I'm worried about it failling at the wrong time.
but i don't ride it on the road that much.
Top speed is 55mph but not that often.
and when I off road i'm always very cautious.
I hope I find another one soon so I can just use the repaired one as a spare

jugbutt
08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I had a tire done like that before and it was fine. Hope all goes well!!!

Dirt Dogg Rydas
08-20-2009, 11:31 PM
It's only been two weeks so far but everything is good so far. I'm hoping to upgrade to 33's sometime soon so i won't have to worry about it anymore.

_StationWagon_
08-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah I'm worried about it failling at the wrong time.
but i don't ride it on the road that much.
Top speed is 55mph but not that often.
and when I off road i'm always very cautious.
I hope I find another one soon so I can just use the repaired one as a spare
The place to be most cautious would be on the road. 55 mph is enough to kill you many times over if that tire fails. Like someone says, that's a hi stress area, and that is why no one would fix the tire. This is the price we pay for the larger tires. I'd rather toss a brand new tire than repair a sidewall puncture. You just can't be a cheap *** when it comes to safety.
At the Very least that tire should be on the back, but the ideal situation should be to get rid of it.

96xj
08-21-2009, 09:48 AM
:dito::smiley-chores037::smiley-gen159:
its not worth it man change it out go get a use tire some where

Mudderoy
08-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Keep it on the rear and drive slow. It's likely to outlast you, or just run flat. There is always a possibility it will be bad, but then again we face dangers everyday. :driving:

I think we tend to hype things, because that is what we see everyday on the news. Unless someone here has actually had a tire patched like this and it failed, and you flipped, we're just going on what we think will happen.

It's a lifted off road modified vehicle. By definition it's more dangerous than your neighbors Honda.

_StationWagon_
08-21-2009, 11:32 PM
And if it fails & he flips, are you going to have more sage advice for him & the people he might injure? How well do you gamble, Tony?

2000XJ
08-24-2009, 06:56 PM
If this is a daily driver, then just splurge on a new tire. The benefits and peace-of-mind far outweigh the potential risks.

If this is a trail truck, and sees minimal pavement, then I'd say to get it fixed and wheel it.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
08-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Come to think of it I've only used it once since it got repaired.
This weekend i was sick and didn't leave the house.
Last weekend we had my sons first birthday party and also didn't leave the house
Just the weekend before that When i got stuck in a mud hole.
The only street use it has is to get me to the trails and its either down the street or around 5 miles from my house.
I'm still looking for another tire though to keep the patched one as a spare.
Unless I get a ful set of 33's sooner

Rickgmi
10-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I would not worry about it, we use a system like that here in Michigan for our Heavy Haul Truck tires and we run 90-100 psi in them

Dirt Dogg Rydas
10-14-2009, 10:18 PM
It's been over two months now and still good although i don't use my cherokee that much I barely drove it today after almost a month I broke a lower control arm mount and just got it repaired