PDA

View Full Version : Weak Leaf Springs / Add a leaf

ozzy
08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Right now my leaf springs are sitting 100% straight and flat with no cargo....basically the rear end is riding pretty low. The pack is 203K miles old.
I was wondering about your thoughts on adding a leaf to regain a bit more comfort and clearance between the frame and the exhaust/diff/etc.

I saw a pair of long add a leafs that claim a 2" lift. the price is right at $80 and free shipping.

A) should I go this route? Anything cheaper?
B) how long should it take an experienced mechanic to install it (I just moved and I haven't found a steady guy yet and I don't want him over charging me on the labor)?

Mudderoy
08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Honestly I'd spend twice as much and get the Rough Country 4.5" leaf springs. You may not want that much lift, so maybe they have some other cheaper. Shipping was ahhh $30 or less I think. I love mine, and I shouldn't have to worry about changing them for 100k or so.

ozzy
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Also, my buddy said that I would have to install longer shocks since it's a lift. but since i'm riding so low, I'm thinkin that if it actually lifts at all it would at MOST bring it up to stock height

sound right to you guys?

kmanxj
08-06-2009, 10:23 AM
complete replacement (that price is for one) great if you wanna stay stock height.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

and good 3" lift springs

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-LS350-XJ&Category_Code=LEAF

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_530.htm

ol"blue
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Also, my buddy said that I would have to install longer shocks since it's a lift. but since i'm riding so low, I'm thinkin that if it actually lifts at all it would at MOST bring it up to stock height

sound right to you guys?

I think you're looking at it wrong. A 4" lift would lift an XJ 4"s over the stock height, not 4"s over it's present height, which might be much lower than stock height. Example: Let's say your XJ has settled and sagged, and sits 2"s lower than a stock height same year XJ. When you install a 4" lift on that vehicle, it should sit 4"s over stock height or 6"s higher than before the lift was installed.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

ozzy
08-06-2009, 10:54 AM
from what I've heard, the lift that you get out of an AAL is highly dependent on the strength of the pack you're adding it to. So since mine are so old and low, I was actually only expecting it to raise 1'' or 1.5'' with the 2" AAL kit.

that could be waaaaaay off though.

and I want to stay away form getting a whole new pack on each side since quite honestly, I'm not sure how long I'll be able afford to keep this guy and the AAL looks cheaper in the short run.

thoughts? install time? other reasonable options?

Mudderoy
08-06-2009, 11:26 AM
AAL are squeaky

ol"blue
08-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I guess I don't fully understand your situation then.
Here's a link where a Dodge 2500 Van main leaf was used with apparent good results. http://jeep-xj.com/showthread.php?t=72
That mod would be cheap too. JMO

muddeprived
08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
from what I've heard, the lift that you get out of an AAL is highly dependent on the strength of the pack you're adding it to. So since mine are so old and low, I was actually only expecting it to raise 1'' or 1.5'' with the 2" AAL kit.

that could be waaaaaay off though.

and I want to stay away form getting a whole new pack on each side since quite honestly, I'm not sure how long I'll be able afford to keep this guy and the AAL looks cheaper in the short run.

thoughts? install time? other reasonable options?

The height an AAL nets you all depends on your factory springs. The older they are, they less lift you will get. A 2" AAL will net you 2" with factory springs in good shape. A 2" AAL could net you stock height or 1" on a worn out leaf pack......and then sag later, putting you back to square one.

The height a full pack nets you is what it's advertised at because it's a brand new leaf pack.

The only AAL i'd recommend to you is rubicon express or old man emu but then I'd also advise against using an AAL considering the condition of your springs. I will do what kman said and get some HD leaf packs from q-tec or 4wd and install them. It will bring you up to stock height, where it should be. You'll need about $200, more than the AAL, BUT you won't have to worry about the springs sagging again in the near future.

The labor for doing either AAL or full pack should be the same. It takes the same amount of time. Actually doing a full leaf pack swap is easier. Remove 2 bolts and two u-bolts, drop axle a little, replace spring, reverse. Super Easy.

Just trying to help ya do it right the first time. ;) I'm speaking from my own experience. My jeep only had 86k on it when I added a Rough Country 2" AAL ($78 shipped on ebay). I got 2" out of it....plus a shitty ride. It rode so rough that my gf would not drive it. Two weeks later I swapped the stock packs with AAL out for some old man emu full packs. I wish I did this the first time.

BlueXJ
08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
^^Good advice^^