PDA

View Full Version : How to check OBD (I&II) codes without a scanner

Brasscatz
08-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks again to Scott (XJ4IV) for bringing this to my attention. I had my check engine light come on during my drive home the other night, and was planning to take it up to the auto parts store the next day to have the codes read. Scott told me that Jeep made it possible on later models to read your trouble codes without using a scanner.

Pre- 97 Jeeps can be read by putting the key in the ignition and turn the key to run (not start), then off, then run, then off, then run (that's 3 runs and 2 offs). Leave the key in the run position. The check engine light will turn on for a few seconds, then turn off, then (sometimes after 20-30 seconds) start flashing. The flashes are counting out 2-digit trouble codes. Fast flashes count up each digit, with a longer pause between digits. 55 indicates the end of all codes. Once you've got your code list, consult the list below to see what they mean.

97+ I did the same procedure, but in addition to my check engine light flashing, my digital odometer flashed the 2 digit codes as well.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/thestalliontruck/Random/CodeDescriptions.jpg

In addition, here are some videos that show how to run these checks:

96 and under

jeep cherokee check engine light OBD1 - YouTube

97 and newer (video is of my test on my 97)

Checking OBDII codes on '97+ Jeep Cherokee - YouTube

And another video showing how to test your instrument panel functions on a 97+. I don't know if this works on any other Jeeps.

Jeep Cherokee Instrument Cluster Self Test Diagnosis - YouTube

ONE MEAN DUCK
12-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I did this on my '97 Cherokee and I got 55 so what exactly do I need to do?

Brasscatz
12-19-2012, 05:48 PM
If that is the only code you got, then you don't have any fault codes. 55 just means that it has completed the diagnostic check.

ONE MEAN DUCK
12-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Then why would my check engine light be on?

4.3LXJ
12-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Dylan, take it to an Autozone and have them scan it for free and pull the codes for you. Then we can go from there

MoparSteve
01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Cool! i used to do The Kryzler Key Dance with my Neon (and other Dodges) but when I first got the 96 XJ last month the trick didn't work. I tried cycling it through full off and the in between positions but to no avail. Wonder what I'm doing wrong? The codes all look the same as for the Neon as well so it's the same Mopar standard. Hmmm.

bluedragon436
01-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Always love that they have this option... It does def. help to keep you from having to always hit up the "ultra nice customer service" that they have at AZ... LOL Not to mention if you have a CEL in the middle of the night or while on a trip...

jon71163
02-09-2013, 07:12 AM
I am going to have to try this soon! I have put off checking the codes due to the cost.

4.3LXJ
02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Jon, you can also get places like Auto Zone to scan them for free

bluedragon436
02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I was going to say if you take it to AZ they will check the codes for free... they won't erase them for you... but they will check them and let you know what the codes are.... and AZ will usually print out what parts are needed and costs to replace to take care of the code(s) as well..

XjJeepacorn
03-15-2013, 08:16 PM
That's cool!!!! I never knew that! Thanks for that bit of info! (All thought I have a scan tool) I'm going to try that the next time just for kicks!

matt0106
12-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Will this work on Renix era Jeeps? 87'-90' for those of you that don't know.

yammer29
10-05-2014, 05:27 PM
My question is, I have a 1990 and the light doesn't come on when you turn the key on? Does anyone else have that same issue or just me.

Brasscatz
10-06-2014, 06:54 AM
My question is, I have a 1990 and the light doesn't come on when you turn the key on? Does anyone else have that same issue or just me.

It's entirely possible that the bulb is burned out or missing. Have you seen it on at other times?

rabies
10-16-2014, 02:46 PM
not sure why. my 98 doesnt respond when i do it manually to the T.
and my obd2 scanner says "error linking" :/

Poorboy
04-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Renix era ('87 to '90) XJ's do not have a check engine light that is used for diagnostics. The Renix system for all intents and purposes doesn't have any code capabilities whatsoever. The check engine light in a Renix is only for emission maintenance reminders, not diagnosis. '91 and up do use and display a check engine light.

Sent from my potato by Tapatalk.